Topics

EARLY LV "wrong way" box

Schuyler Larrabee

We’ve recently been advised that more roads than just the Lehigh Valley owned “wrong way” box cars.  This is a snip from a larger photo titled “Buffalo NY 1910 Kellog Company.”  I am not sure just how I got that photo, but I noticed this LV box car on a siding at the very bottom edge of the image.

The overall photo is interesting, but I am not sure of the permissions to share the entire image.  It shows an active steam pile driver and new concrete silos under construction using slip forms.

Schuyler

Eric Hansmann

Based upon the car data lettering and lack of full 1911 Safety Appliance Act amendment hardware, this photo is 100+ years old. Was it on the Library of Congress site? If so, it’s public domain.

Do you have a link to share?

Eric Hansmann

Murfreesboro, TN

From: main@RealSTMFC.groups.io <main@RealSTMFC.groups.io> On Behalf Of Schuyler Larrabee via groups.io
Sent: Wednesday, June 10, 2020 3:48 PM
To: RealSTMFC@groups.io
Subject: [RealSTMFC] EARLY LV "wrong way" box

We’ve recently been advised that more roads than just the Lehigh Valley owned “wrong way” box cars.  This is a snip from a larger photo titled “Buffalo NY 1910 Kellog Company.”  I am not sure just how I got that photo, but I noticed this LV box car on a siding at the very bottom edge of the image.

The overall photo is interesting, but I am not sure of the permissions to share the entire image.  It shows an active steam pile driver and new concrete silos under construction using slip forms.

Schuyler

Schuyler Larrabee

Unfortunately, no, nor did a good bit of web surfing looking for one succeed.  Sorry.

Schuyler

From: main@RealSTMFC.groups.io <main@RealSTMFC.groups.io> On Behalf Of Eric Hansmann
Sent: Wednesday, June 10, 2020 5:17 PM
To: main@RealSTMFC.groups.io
Subject: Re: [RealSTMFC] EARLY LV "wrong way" box

Based upon the car data lettering and lack of full 1911 Safety Appliance Act amendment hardware, this photo is 100+ years old. Was it on the Library of Congress site? If so, it’s public domain.

Do you have a link to share?

Eric Hansmann

Murfreesboro, TN

From: main@RealSTMFC.groups.io <main@RealSTMFC.groups.io> On Behalf Of Schuyler Larrabee via groups.io
Sent: Wednesday, June 10, 2020 3:48 PM
To: RealSTMFC@groups.io
Subject: [RealSTMFC] EARLY LV "wrong way" box

Schuyler

Bud Rindfleisch

Schuyler,
    Wish I could enlarge the image.I n the meantime I have this builder's photo (I believe) of an early wrongway door LV car.I don't know the photo source as the pic was a gift to me from a friend.
      Bud Rindfleisch

Schuyler Larrabee

Terrific photo, Bud, thanks very much.  I wish it carried a blt date.  I’m sure that’s a builder’s photo, with every little detail picked out in white, all the lettering on the wheels and trucks.  Also the slotted coupler knuckle says a lot about the time period.

Schuyler

From: main@RealSTMFC.groups.io <main@RealSTMFC.groups.io> On Behalf Of Bud Rindfleisch
Sent: Thursday, June 11, 2020 7:20 AM
To: main@realstmfc.groups.io
Subject: Re: [RealSTMFC] EARLY LV "wrong way" box

Schuyler,

Wish I could enlarge the image.I n the meantime I have this builder's photo (I believe) of an early wrongway door LV car.I don't know the photo source as the pic was a gift to me from a friend.

Bud Rindfleisch

Edward

Edited

These LV box cars were often used in the bagged flour trade out of Buffalo.
Eight-hundred 100 lb. bags of flour made a load. 
Bagged flour like that was used in neighborhood bake shops like the one I grew up in during the 1940's.
LV had left-hand door box cars built in the 1920's which replaced older truss-rodded cars.
Here is one I built in O scale, using photos and spying on the HO model that Syracuse Hobbies was selling at the time.
The flour load was made with Chiclet gum pieces, filling the door area only to keep the weight reasonable.

Ed Bommer

mel perry

bud:
trucks are intetesting also?
mel

On Thu, Jun 11, 2020, 4:20 AM Bud Rindfleisch <BlackDiamondRR@...> wrote:
Schuyler,
      Bud Rindfleisch

RICH CHAPIN

LV ORER Apr 1900 lists series 80000 to 80400 "Box, 8-wheel", not listed 1898 I have, have no 1899.

Rich Chapin

Bud Rindfleisch

Ed,
     Nice wrong way door car! Using the Chiclets to represent floor sacks...what a neat idea, of course perfect size for O scale! 
     I too bought one of the Central Hobby's HO kits with intentions of duplicating the car in S scale, but so far have not got around to it. Most recently Shapeways had the other inverse ends for these cars so I am rethinking this project.
     Bud Rindfleisch

Bud Rindfleisch

You're very welcome Schuyler! Yes, a blt date would have been nice. Like I said this photo was a gift from a friend who tried to coerce me to build one, but alas at the time there were no Fox trucks available in S scale, and I needed other excuses too!
     There had been some speculation that the flag on these early cars might have been green rather than red, but no definite proof to verify.
     Bud Rindfleisch