From: main@RealSTMFC.groups.io <main@RealSTMFC.groups.io> On Behalf Of Benjamin Hom
Sent: Saturday, March 6, 2021 8:45 AM
To: STMFC E-List <main@realstmfc.groups.io>
Subject: [RealSTMFC] eBay Follies

Crates too large to be placed that way? Assuming they fit thru the door, one should be opposite the opening.

Thanks!
--

Brian Ehni

From: <main@RealSTMFC.groups.io> on behalf of Benjamin Hom <b.hom@...>
Date: Saturday, March 6, 2021 at 8:45 AM
To: STMFC E-List <main@realstmfc.groups.io>

Tony Thompson

So Ben, cruising the Internet for more good ol' Athearn Blue Box cars?

Tony Thompson

Benjamin Hom

Tony Thompson wrote:
"So Ben, cruising the Internet for more good ol' Athearn Blue Box cars?"

Actually, trying to get rid of a bunch and doing pricing research as quick sales at local shows are off the table at the moment.  Plus I have way more than what I'll ever need as kitbash fodder.

Ben Hom

Tony Thompson

Ben Hom wrote:

Actually, trying to get rid of a bunch and doing pricing research as quick sales at local shows are off the table at the moment.  Plus I have way more than what I'll ever need as kitbash fodder.

Ah yes, I well recall keeping a stash of all kinds of Blue Box car kits as kitbash fodder. Most ended up being given away. Even marking them at 50 cents didn't sell them at most meets.
Even the cars I had weathered and given Kadee couplers would only sell for a few bucks. Maybe I needed to have tried something like a Greenburg show.

Tony Thompson

A decade or so ago, I divested my built blue boxes for $5-$10/car. Most were stock, but with NMRA recommended weight plus Kadee couplers and wheels. The $10 cars were ones I had painted and decaled.

Thanks!
Brian Ehni
(Sent from my iPhone)

On Mar 6, 2021, at 12:30 PM, Tony Thompson <tony@...> wrote:

Ben Hom wrote:

Actually, trying to get rid of a bunch and doing pricing research as quick sales at local shows are off the table at the moment.  Plus I have way more than what I'll ever need as kitbash fodder.

Ah yes, I well recall keeping a stash of all kinds of Blue Box car kits as kitbash fodder. Most ended up being given away. Even marking them at 50 cents didn't sell them at most meets.
Even the cars I had weathered and given Kadee couplers would only sell for a few bucks. Maybe I needed to have tried something like a Greenburg show.

Tony Thompson

Tim O'Connor

Ben

You are familiar with the game of roulette? Well, sale prices on Ebay for us amateurs follow that pattern.
Mostly, you lose a little... and then every once in a while you hit it BIG.

:-D

On 3/6/2021 1:25 PM, Benjamin Hom wrote:
Tony Thompson wrote:
"So Ben, cruising the Internet for more good ol' Athearn Blue Box cars?"

Actually, trying to get rid of a bunch and doing pricing research as quick sales at local shows are off the table at the moment.  Plus I have way more than what I'll ever need as kitbash fodder.

Ben Hom

Sterling, Massachusetts

Douglas Harding

I sold a bunch at the last NMRA meet in our area in the silent auction, with compatible couplers and metal wheels. I priced them at $1 apiece thinking someone new in the hobby or a kit could get a start. One of the used equipment dealers came through put the min bid down and got most of them as no one else bid. I didn’t make much, but they were gone.

Doug Harding

www.iowacentralrr.org

Doug Harding wrote:

. . . I didn’t make much, but they were gone.

Exactly.

Tony Thompson

Bruce Smith

Brian,

Exactly! How the heck could the crates be placed that way? you couldn't get the 2nd one in if the 1st one was halfway across the door! Of course, my lovely wife did come up with a possible explanation - the crates could have been built in place.  All well and good, but then how the heck do you get them out?????

Regards,
Bruce Smith
Auburn, AL

From: <main@RealSTMFC.groups.io> on behalf of Benjamin Hom <b.hom@...>
Date: Saturday, March 6, 2021 at 8:45 AM
To: STMFC E-List <main@realstmfc.groups.io>

Charles Peck

My thought was that everything got loaded from the far side. This door was opened by mistake. The tag for "unload from this side" having been lost.  OK, I'm just justifying a mistake.

From: <main@RealSTMFC.groups.io> on behalf of Benjamin Hom <b.hom@...>
Date: Saturday, March 6, 2021 at 8:45 AM
To: STMFC E-List <main@realstmfc.groups.io>

Steve Summers

The answer is simple.  They’re Athearn boxcars.  The top, sides, and ends are one piece, they lift that piece off the underframe, the load is removed, and the body piece is replaced.  Done!

On Mar 6, 2021, at 7:38 PM, Bruce Smith <smithbf@...> wrote:

Brian,

Exactly! How the heck could the crates be placed that way? you couldn't get the 2nd one in if the 1st one was halfway across the door! Of course, my lovely wife did come up with a possible explanation - the crates could have been built in place.  All well and good, but then how the heck do you get them out?????

Regards,
Bruce Smith
Auburn, AL

Crates too large to be placed that way? Assuming they fit thru the door, one should be opposite the opening.

Thanks!
--

<image001.png>

Brian Ehni

From: <main@RealSTMFC.groups.io> on behalf of Benjamin Hom <b.hom@...>
Date: Saturday, March 6, 2021 at 8:45 AM
To: STMFC E-List <main@realstmfc.groups.io>

Steve and Barb Hile

From the prototype model standpoint, the biggest issue is that the boxcar is advertising Shock Control DF, but the craters on the interior are not, at all restrained!

Steve Hile

From: <main@RealSTMFC.groups.io> on behalf of Benjamin Hom <b.hom@...>
Date: Saturday, March 6, 2021 at 8:45 AM
To: STMFC E-List <main@realstmfc.groups.io>

Dennis Storzek

On Sat, Mar 6, 2021 at 04:38 PM, Bruce Smith wrote:
Exactly! How the heck could the crates be placed that way? you couldn't get the 2nd one in if the 1st one was halfway across the door!
We really can't see the crates on the other side of the car. Possibly, on that side the crate is centered in the door. Kind of like paper rolls are loaded. If that's the case, the only thing missing is the UNLOAD OTHER SIDE placard.

Dennis Storzek

That’s my point!

Thanks!
Brian Ehni
(Sent from my iPhone)

From: <main@RealSTMFC.groups.io> on behalf of Benjamin Hom <b.hom@...>
Date: Saturday, March 6, 2021 at 8:45 AM
To: STMFC E-List <main@realstmfc.groups.io>

Except that the Athearn boxcar has centered doors...

Thanks!
Brian Ehni
(Sent from my iPhone)

On Mar 6, 2021, at 7:37 PM, Dennis Storzek <destorzek@...> wrote:

On Sat, Mar 6, 2021 at 04:38 PM, Bruce Smith wrote:
Exactly! How the heck could the crates be placed that way? you couldn't get the 2nd one in if the 1st one was halfway across the door!
We really can't see the crates on the other side of the car. Possibly, on that side the crate is centered in the door. Kind of like paper rolls are loaded. If that's the case, the only thing missing is the UNLOAD OTHER SIDE placard.

Dennis Storzek

Tom Madden

On Sat, Mar 6, 2021 at 06:37 PM, Dennis Storzek wrote:
On Sat, Mar 6, 2021 at 04:38 PM, Bruce Smith wrote:
Exactly! How the heck could the crates be placed that way? you couldn't get the 2nd one in if the 1st one was halfway across the door!
We really can't see the crates on the other side of the car.
Well, you can if you look at the eBay listing. There are several other photos, one of which shows the opposite side with several small crates in the door opening. So the large crates were loaded first, from the other side, then the smaller crates were put in place. Pretty haphazard arrangement. Considering the Athearn roof is part of the body, the crates were stuffed into the model the same way. An amateur's version of superdetailing.

Tom Madden, who can't believe we've spent any time discussing this....

Tony Thompson

Tom Madden wrote:

Tom Madden, who can't believe we've spent any time discussing this....
Full agreement.
Tony Thompson

Benjamin Hom

Tom Madden wrote:
"who can't believe we've spent any time discussing this...."

Then again, this is the same bunch that put up 29+ posts on the etymology of "foobie".

Ben Hom