Topics

EJ&E 61026 12-panel riveted 40' box car

Andy Carlson

Ed Hawkins' list on the web site "Steam Era Freight Cars" lists these EJ&E cars as built in 1948, have a 7 panel 8' wide superior door (with the thin top panel only done in '48 and '49) Ajax brake gear Gypsum or apex running boards and A3 ride control trucks. In the series of 60900-61399. 500 cars in this series. Most notably to me is the lower height of only 10'0". Thin R+3/4 Improved Dreadnaught end. The lower side sill extension was applied in 1958 according to the notes. A super-cool STMFC car!

Inline image

pennsylvania1954

Since you brought it up. 61216 after repaint to green with the map scheme. Photos seem to indicate the lower side sill extension was applied when built; note that 61206 above has NEW for reweigh. Open door? Yes, I cheated. The open door hides the lack of body work to make the door opening on the Intermountain shell actually 8 ft. Jerry Glow decals, but I don't see them on Tichy now.
--
Steve Hoxie
Pensacola FL

Rick Jesionowski

Decals for the EJ&E Car are now available from Mask Island Decals.

Rick Jesionowski