Topics

Empty Car Card

Bob Chaparro

Empty Car Card

Below is an image of a PRR card "For Empty Cars Only".

There are instructions on the bottom of the card, but can anyone provide more insight into the basis and use of this card?

Thanks.

Bob Chaparro

Hemet, CA

Tony Thompson

On Sep 27, 2019, at 8:14 PM, Bob Chaparro via Groups.Io <chiefbobbb@...> wrote:

Empty Car Card

Below is an image of a PRR card "For Empty Cars Only".

There are instructions on the bottom of the card, but can anyone provide more insight into the basis and use of this card?

Thanks.

Bob Chaparro

Hemet, CA

<Empty_Car_Card.jpg>

John Barry

Bob,

Many, if not most roads had forms like this.  Such cards were used for movement and return of empties.  Some roads didn't fill them out until the loaded car was at it's destination and the clerk or agent handling the inbound waybill filled it out from the information on it.  Other roads filled out an empty car card for an inbound load at the receiving junction, which then moved with the car attached to the waybill.  If the car was forwarded rather than unloaded on-line, the card was held at the outbound junction for use on the empty's return.  In either case, the form provided a means to move empties back to their origin or move them to where they needed to go for repairs, light weight, or loading.  Forms like this must have been the prototype inspiration for the "car card" portion of the "car card and waybill" car forwarding scheme that many of us use on our model railroads.

The Santa Fe's version was Form 1850 Standard, Empty Car--Bill and Home Route Card.  I've attached a copy of my adaptation for use on my railroad.

John Barry

ATSF North Bay Lines
Golden Gates & Fast Freights
Lovettsville, VA

707-490-9696

PO Box 44736
Washington, DC 20026-4736

On Saturday, September 28, 2019, 02:14:02 AM EDT, Bob Chaparro via Groups.Io <chiefbobbb@...> wrote:

Empty Car Card

Below is an image of a PRR card "For Empty Cars Only".

There are instructions on the bottom of the card, but can anyone provide more insight into the basis and use of this card?

Thanks.

Bob Chaparro

Hemet, CA

Tim O'Connor

seems obvious enough - there is no "WAYBILL" because the car is empty, but the car does
have a destination. I suppose this would also prevent the car from being "hijacked" down
the line somewhere, since it has a consignment to the destination.

On 9/28/2019 2:13 AM, Bob Chaparro via Groups.Io wrote:

Empty Car Card

Below is an image of a PRR card "For Empty Cars Only".

There are instructions on the bottom of the card, but can anyone provide more insight into the basis and use of this card?

Thanks.

Bob Chaparro

Hemet, CA

Attachments: