Topics

ERDX Reefers

Armand Premo

Seeking information on The ERDX fleet of Reefer.Any help will be appreciated.Armand Premo

Todd Sullivan

Armand,

ERDX was one of the reporting marks owned by Merchants Despatch Transportation Corp.  My January 1952 ORER lists ERDX 9900-9999 as the only series.  They were 42' long RB's (bunkerless reefers = insulated boxcars) with 5' sliding (plug) doors.

Todd Sullivan

Tony Thompson

There is quite a bit of info in Hinman’s book on MDT.
Tony Thompson

On Nov 9, 2019, at 4:40 PM, Armand Premo <arm.p.prem@...> wrote:

Seeking information on The ERDX fleet of Reefer.Any help will be appreciated.Armand Premo

Tim O'Connor

ERDX reefer (attached)

Later on there were at least two groups of insulated box cars.

--
*Tim O'Connor*
*Sterling, Massachusetts*

Armand Premo

Thank you Tony,Todd and Tim,Now to find a close model and decals.Any suggestions ? Armand Premo

--
*Tim O'Connor*
*Sterling, Massachusetts*

Todd Sullivan

Hi Tim,

This is a very interesting photo, but I'm not sure it represents the ERDX cars in my 1952 ORER.  The overall length of the 1952 ERDX 9000 series was 42'-6", and all the other MDT owned cars were 41'-6", and the 9000 series had a 2601 cu.ft. capacity while most other MDT cars had capacities from 1900 cu.ft. to around 2000 cu.ft.  The 1952 9000 series also is clearly listed as an AAR Mech. Designation RB, and they have a Note F that states, "Cars numbered E.R.D.X. 9000 to 9999 and M.D.T. 9955 and 9962 have sliding doors 5 ft. wide and 7 ft. high."  All other MDT owned cars had 4 ft. wide by 6 ft. and a few inches high.  Also, there were only 38 cars in the 9000-9999 series and apparently only 2 in the 9955-9962 series.

I think the ERDX 9772 in your photo is an earlier car, and it has ice hatches on both end of the roof and its lettering states "Ventilated Refrigerator".  I don''t see a built date in photo, but the capacity is clearly 2086 cu.ft. and the I.L. is 33ft. 11 in. which doesn't match anything in my 1952 ORER (MDT, FGEX, etc.).  I wish I had my Westerfield 1943 ORER to see if there were other cars of this size as that date, but it's in storage.

Curiouser and curioser.  Does anyone else have anything to contribute?

Todd Sullivan

Douglas Harding

I  have this drawing, saved as ERDX 11000-11049. However nothing on the drawing says it is ERDX, so cannot confirm. Nor do I know the source, but suspect it came via this last as we have discussed ERDX cars before.

Doug  Harding

www.iowacentralrr.org

[...]

Benjamin Hom

Doug Harding wrote:
"I have this drawing, saved as ERDX 11000-11049. However nothing on the drawing says it is ERDX, so cannot confirm. Nor do I know the source, but suspect it came via this last as we have discussed ERDX cars before."

Source is Terry Link's website.

ERDX 11000-11049, rebuilt 1958 at DSI from Lot 734-B boxcars.

Ben Hom

Douglas Harding

Thanks Ben.

Doug  Harding

www.iowacentralrr.org

"I have this drawing, saved as ERDX 11000-11049. However nothing on the drawing says it is ERDX, so cannot confirm. Nor do I know the source, but suspect it came via this last as we have discussed ERDX cars before."

Source is Terry Link's website.

ERDX 11000-11049, rebuilt 1958 at DSI from Lot 734-B boxcars.

Ben Hom

Donald B. Valentine

Hi Armand,

    Can't help with the idiosyncracies of the of the various ERDX cars but as you know these cars, at least all that
I am aware of, were NOT refrigerated. They were insulated as they were used to to bring seed and other material
from the Eastern States Farmers Exchange warehouses and processing plants as far away as Black Rock
(Buffalo) NY to their local stores all over New England. I don't believe that any of their cars were over 41 ft. in length.
Decals in HO scale for the #10000 series cars are no problem. You can get them from Jim Abbott of Highball
Graphics for $8 for a set that will complete one car. If I could find my decal box that has not been seen since the
move I could bring a set the next time I'm over.

My best, Don Valentine

Tim O'Connor

1960's rebuilds

On 11/11/2019 8:43 AM, Douglas Harding wrote:

[...]

Attachments:

_._,_._

Sterling, Massachusetts

Bud Rindfleisch

I have this photo of an ERDX 11000 series car. The lettering follows the MDT font. I have seen these cars with the circular sunburst (?) logo too. The 10000 series were of lower height but I don't have the specific data. Clover House makes dry transfers for the 10000 series.
     Bud Rindfleisch