Topics

Erie 1937 AAR Boxcar – IMWX Upgrade #2

Robert Chapman

Upon opening the second of my two 1937 AAR IMWX boxcar kits from my deep stash, I discovered not much more than a carbody. No roof, no detail sprue. Then came the recall – the kit was a parts donor for a kitbash project.

The missing roof presented the opportunity to substitute a Viking roof from Des Plaines Hobbies, and the missing parts to be replaced with contemporary upgrades. Among 1937 AAR’s equipped with the Viking roof was the Erie, an good prototype to further diversify the boxcar fleet.

Added details include Tichy 8/8 ladders, Apex running board from Yarmouth Models, Kadee Ajax brakewheel, and the interesting National Type B trucks from Proto 2000. The prototype had grabs with brackets much smaller than Kadee’s -- almost looking like wire grabs. Decals are Speedwitch Media.

The prototype often sported black ends and sometimes a black roof; I opted for both. I'll welcome any suggestions and/or photos re a weathering approach that would look credible on a black Viking roof....

The missing parts proved a stroke of good fortune, resulting in a distinctive model.

Regards,
Bob Chapman

Brian Carlson

Bob. I’m working on one of these. Waist paint color did you use?

Brian J. Carlson

On Jul 13, 2020, at 5:17 PM, Robert Chapman <chapbob4014@...> wrote:

[...]

<DSCN8263.JPG>
<Erie 1937 IMWX+.jpg>

O Fenton Wells

Good looking build and nothing better than making lemonade out of lemons.
Fenton

--
Fenton Wells
250 Frye Rd

Robert Chapman

Brian Carlson asks:
Bob. I’m working on one of these. What paint color did you use?

Uh oh -- a COLOR question! First, let's skip all the usual prototype color disclaimers. Brian -- I'm not an Erie modeler, so went to sources for information. In 11/90 RMJ, Ed Hawkins recommended Floquil ATSF Mineral Brown for the 4/49 ACF #90500-91199 series (not a 1937 AAR). In the RPC Vol 3 "colors by road" table, A 50-50 mix of Floquil BCR and Oxide was suggested for Erie in the 40s. 1949 is near my era, and in the dinosaur cave here I had some Floquil ATSF Mineral Brown, so I went with it. The Erie guys are probably rolling their eyes, but I like it.

Regards,
Bob Chapman

Michael Gross

Another nice build, Bob.  You're making good use of your Covid-19 isolation!!!
--
Michael Gross
Pasadena, CA