From: main@RealSTMFC.groups.io <main@RealSTMFC.groups.io> on behalf of Guy Wilber via groups.io <guycwilber@...>
Sent: Wednesday, December 2, 2020 10:33 AM
To: main@realstmfc.groups.io <main@realstmfc.groups.io>
Subject: Re: [RealSTMFC] Frisco “Sawtooth” boxcar photo

R. J. Dial wrote:

“YMW has the lateral supports, that should help Marty. I was referring to the longitudinal running board supports ("saddles" is the industry term on drawings).”

As “Latitudinal Running Board” is the official term used by The MCBA, ARA and AAR.

Guy Wilber
Reno, Nevada

steve_wintner

I suppose one could etch a simple L with the holes. Design it for one peaked roof, file it to match the radial roof if needed. Then use a short stub of styrene to support the center of the L, under the central board. That'd look ok from some angles, but not all. In the same fashion, a stub of PB wire into a hole in the roof could support the etched L, might look better. (Kinda like moloco did, except in metal.) Fiddly though.

Steve

radiodial868

If you've ever built any of YMW's runningboard end supports, or the brake step platform, you know how complex, delicate yet strong they are once bent along their little fold lines.
I was thinking something like this little sketch I just threw together on my phone. The blue is the bend lines. The YMW etched bend lines can go either way, so could represent many styles. The 'feet" would be easily tweaked with a needlenose to match any odd roof angle or irregularity encountered.

RJ Dial

Mendocino, CA

jerryglow2

Using the plastic ones, I used thinned Barge cement to glue them to the roofwalk which can then be easily glued to a plastic roof