Topics

Evangeline Railway

Paul Doggett

Hi
I know this is a bit of subject but asking for a friend. Where did the Evangeline Railway run to and from?

Thank you
Paul Doggett England 🏴󠁧󠁢󠁥󠁮󠁧󠁿

james murrie

Per the Feb. 1951 Official Guide it ran from Belle Chaney (Evangeline Jct.), Louisiana to Greer, LA, 2.2 miles. Connected at Evangeline Jct with the Rock Island.
Jim Murrie

Paul Doggett

James

Thank you very much, I will pass this on to my friend in Louisiana.

Paul Doggett.   England 🏴󠁧󠁢󠁥󠁮󠁧󠁿

On 28 May 2020, at 15:04, james murrie via groups.io <bi291@...> wrote:

Per the Feb. 1951 Official Guide it ran from Belle Chaney (Evangeline Jct.), Louisiana to Greer, LA, 2.2 miles. Connected at Evangeline Jct with the Rock Island.
Jim Murrie

Garth Groff and Sally Sanford

Paul,

There is a photo of Evangeline 0-6-0 6920 at this location: https://sites.google.com/site/steamlocomotivephotographs2/xdk . Be patient. It takes a while to load, as there are a mess of photos on this site.

Yours Aye,

Garth Groff  🦆

On 28 May 2020, at 15:04, james murrie via groups.io <bi291=yahoo.com@groups.io> wrote:

Per the Feb. 1951 Official Guide it ran from Belle Chaney (Evangeline Jct.), Louisiana to Greer, LA, 2.2 miles. Connected at Evangeline Jct with the Rock Island.
Jim Murrie

Paul Doggett

Garth

Thank You

Paul Doggett.   England 🏴󠁧󠁢󠁥󠁮󠁧󠁿

On 28 May 2020, at 16:46, Garth Groff and Sally Sanford <mallardlodge1000@...> wrote:

Paul,

There is a photo of Evangeline 0-6-0 6920 at this location: https://sites.google.com/site/steamlocomotivephotographs2/xdk . Be patient. It takes a while to load, as there are a mess of photos on this site.

Yours Aye,

Garth Groff  🦆

On Thu, May 28, 2020 at 10:06 AM Paul Doggett via groups.io <paul.doggett2472=icloud.com@groups.io> wrote:
James

Thank you very much, I will pass this on to my friend in Louisiana.

Paul Doggett.   England 🏴󠁧󠁢󠁥󠁮󠁧󠁿

On 28 May 2020, at 15:04, james murrie via groups.io <bi291=yahoo.com@groups.io> wrote:

Per the Feb. 1951 Official Guide it ran from Belle Chaney (Evangeline Jct.), Louisiana to Greer, LA, 2.2 miles. Connected at Evangeline Jct with the Rock Island.
Jim Murrie

Bill Keene

That looks to be a USRA 0-6-0 oil burner. A perfect locomotive for a short short line.

Cheers,
Bill Keene
Irvine, CA

On May 28, 2020, at 8:45 AM, Garth Groff and Sally Sanford <mallardlodge1000@...> wrote:

[...]

Bill

It sure does .

Paul Doggett

On 28 May 2020, at 16:51, Bill Keene via groups.io <bill41@...> wrote:

[...]

John Barry

Paul,

According the the April 44 list of open and prepaid stations, the Evangaline ran from Belle Chaney through Brian to Greer Louisianna.  All three stations were listed as intrastate traffic only.  Only Greer had an agent, all freight to Belle Chaney or Brian had to be pre-paid except for that consigned to Gifford-Hill & Co, Inc. which could be billed collect and charges settled with the agent at Greer.

I hope that helps your friend.

John

John Barry

ATSF North Bay Lines
Golden Gates & Fast Freights
Lovettsville, VA

707-490-9696

PO Box 44736
Washington, DC 20026-4736

On Thursday, May 28, 2020, 09:35:00 AM EDT, Paul Doggett via groups.io <paul.doggett2472@...> wrote:

Hi
I know this is a bit of subject but asking for a friend. Where did the Evangeline Railway run to and from?

Thank you
Paul Doggett    England 🏴󠁧󠁢󠁥󠁮󠁧󠁿

Paul Doggett

John

Thank you I will pass that on he lives in Louisiana.

Paul Doggett

On 29 May 2020, at 04:14, John Barry <northbaylines@...> wrote:

[...]

Jim Ogden

I think Gifford Hill operated a gravel pit in Evangeline parish (that’s a county elsewhere) and this is fairly close to where a north-south Rock Island joined the East-west Gulf Coast Lines (Frisco in B.F. Yoakum days but later Mopac and UP). This has a lot of modeling possibilities.

This gravel operation would make a great connection for a model railroad circa 1950 with a healthy appetite for the F&C T&NO gons, along with MoPac/TP or Rock Island. I think the F&C MoPac panel side gons now have an interior. Sunshine Models did the TP 40’ gons but today the best bet is to modify Accurail’s kit.

Jim Ogden
(Who escaped Louisiana)

Paul Doggett

Jim

Thank you I will pass this onto my friend.

Paul Doggett.

On 29 May 2020, at 13:44, Jim Ogden <sjogden@...> wrote:

I think Gifford Hill operated a gravel pit in Evangeline parish (that’s a county elsewhere) and this is fairly close to where a north-south Rock Island joined the East-west Gulf Coast Lines (Frisco in B.F. Yoakum days but later Mopac and UP). This has a lot of modeling possibilities.

This gravel operation would make a great connection for a model railroad circa 1950 with a healthy appetite for the F&C T&NO gons, along with MoPac/TP or Rock Island. I think the F&C MoPac panel side gons now have an interior. Sunshine Models did the TP 40’ gons but today the best bet is to modify Accurail’s kit.

Jim Ogden
(Who escaped Louisiana)

Garth Groff and Sally Sanford

Paul,

I haven't turned up anything else on the Evangeline Railway, but I did find these four photos of the Evangeline Gravel Co., which may or may not have been served by said line: https://louisianadigitallibrary.org/islandora/search/mods_subject_topic_ms%3A%22Evangeline%5C%20Gravel%5C%20Company%22 . Just to keep the sheriff at bay, one of the photos shows a FREIGHT CAR.

Yours Aye,

Garth Groff  🦆

On Fri, May 29, 2020 at 8:52 AM Paul Doggett via groups.io <paul.doggett2472=icloud.com@groups.io> wrote:
Jim

Thank you I will pass this onto my friend.

Paul Doggett.
> On 29 May 2020, at 13:44, Jim Ogden <sjogden@...> wrote:
>
> I think Gifford Hill operated a gravel pit in Evangeline parish (that’s a county elsewhere) and this is fairly close to where a north-south Rock Island joined the East-west Gulf Coast Lines (Frisco in B.F. Yoakum days but later Mopac and UP). This has a lot of modeling possibilities.
>
> This gravel operation would make a great connection for a model railroad circa 1950 with a healthy appetite for the F&C T&NO gons, along with MoPac/TP or Rock Island.  I think the F&C MoPac panel side gons now have an interior.  Sunshine Models did the TP 40’ gons but today the best bet is to modify Accurail’s kit.
>
> Jim Ogden
> (Who escaped Louisiana)

Paul Doggett

Garth

Thank I will sent it to my friend in Louisiana.

Regards Paul Doggett

On 29 May 2020, at 20:43, Garth Groff and Sally Sanford <mallardlodge1000@...> wrote:

Paul,

I haven't turned up anything else on the Evangeline Railway, but I did find these four photos of the Evangeline Gravel Co., which may or may not have been served by said line: https://louisianadigitallibrary.org/islandora/search/mods_subject_topic_ms%3A%22Evangeline%5C%20Gravel%5C%20Company%22 . Just to keep the sheriff at bay, one of the photos shows a FREIGHT CAR.

Yours Aye,

Garth Groff  🦆

On Fri, May 29, 2020 at 8:52 AM Paul Doggett via groups.io <paul.doggett2472=icloud.com@groups.io> wrote:
Jim

Thank you I will pass this onto my friend.

Paul Doggett.
> On 29 May 2020, at 13:44, Jim Ogden <sjogden@...> wrote:
>
> I think Gifford Hill operated a gravel pit in Evangeline parish (that’s a county elsewhere) and this is fairly close to where a north-south Rock Island joined the East-west Gulf Coast Lines (Frisco in B.F. Yoakum days but later Mopac and UP). This has a lot of modeling possibilities.
>
> This gravel operation would make a great connection for a model railroad circa 1950 with a healthy appetite for the F&C T&NO gons, along with MoPac/TP or Rock Island.  I think the F&C MoPac panel side gons now have an interior.  Sunshine Models did the TP 40’ gons but today the best bet is to modify Accurail’s kit.
>
> Jim Ogden
> (Who escaped Louisiana)

Donald B. Valentine

Hello Paul,

    Either I've learned something new, which is usually a good thing, out of this thread or
some ar barking up the wrong tree. I had not hear of the Evangeline Rwy. before but in
Louisiana the origin of he name is quite obvious. However, the Canadian Pacific, long a
favorite of British investors, had a subsidiary in Nova Scotia with wich the parent CPR
directly connected only by passenger ferry from St. John, NB to Digby, NS, all freight
car traffic connecting via the CNR. The Nova Scotia subsidiary was the now gone
Dominion Atlantic Rwy. for which several of my grandmother's family worked for years.
The DAR was commonly known as the Route of Evangeline and an artist's rendition of
Evangeline was incorporated into the hearld of the road. Thus is becomes appaent that
we had at one time both an "Evangeline Rwy." and a "Route of Evangeline" several
thousand miles apart. For our period of modeling the DAR did have a number of CPR
Dominion cars carrying their own DAR reporting marks which, if I'm not mstaken, are
covered by Andrew's Westerfield cars in HO scale.

Cordially, Don Valentine

Paul Doggett

Hi Don

I also found the Evangeline Railway in Canada but it was the one in Louisiana which my friend was looking for apparently it was a gravel pit operation.

Regards Paul Doggett

On 30 May 2020, at 12:49, Donald B. Valentine via groups.io <riverman_vt@...> wrote:

[...]

Hi Paul,

    Gravel pit operation you write in reference to the Evangeline Rwy. in Louisiana. That strikes a
familoar chord and make me wonder if this operation might have had more than one name over
the years if it is the operation I am thinking of in whch the owner bought a number of used steam
locomotives to use largely because he likes steam! Wonder if we are thinking of the same operation.
Perhaps sme of our y'all members might know and respond.

Cordialy, Don Valentine

Paul Doggett

Hi Don

I think you are thinking of Louisiana sand and gravel (I think it was called) own by Polson Spence he had 3 NKP Hudson’s among other engines unfortunately he dropped dead on Penn station and most of the collection went for scrap but a SP 4-4-0 and a couple of other small engines were saved.

Regards Paul Doggett.   England 🏴󠁧󠁢󠁥󠁮󠁧󠁿

On 30 May 2020, at 13:29, Donald B. Valentine via groups.io <riverman_vt@...> wrote:

Hi Paul,

    Gravel pit operation you write in reference to the Evangeline Rwy. in Louisiana. That strikes a
familoar chord and make me wonder if this operation might have had more than one name over
the years if it is the operation I am thinking of in whch the owner bought a number of used steam
locomotives to use largely because he likes steam! Wonder if we are thinking of the same operation.
Perhaps sme of our y'all members might know and respond.

Cordialy, Don Valentine

James Yaworsky

Here's what Wikepedia has to say, which explains why "Evangeline" is a factor in both Canada's Maritime Provinces, and in the American State  Louisiana:

The Expulsion of the Acadians, also known as the Great Upheaval, the Great Expulsion, the Great Deportation and Le Grand Dérangement, was the forced removal by the British of the Acadian people from the present-day Canadian Maritime provinces of Nova Scotia, New Brunswick, Prince Edward Island and northern Maine — parts of an area also known as Acadia.[b] The Expulsion (1755–1764) occurred during the French and Indian War (the North American theatre of the Seven Years' War)[c] and was part of the British military campaign against New France. The British first deported Acadians to the Thirteen Colonies, and after 1758, transported additional Acadians to Britain and France. In all, of the 14,100 Acadians in the region, approximately 11,500 Acadians were deported.[8][d] A census of 1764 indicates that 2,600 Acadians remained in the colony having eluded capture.[10]

During the War of the Spanish Succession, the British captured Port Royal, the capital of the colony, in a siege. The 1713 Treaty of Utrecht, which concluded the conflict, ceded the colony to Great Britain while allowing the Acadians to keep their lands. Over the next forty-five years, however, the Acadians refused to sign an unconditional oath of allegiance to Britain. During the same period, some also participated in various military operations against the British, and maintained supply lines to the French fortresses of Louisbourg and Fort Beauséjour.[11] As a result, the British sought to eliminate any future military threat posed by the Acadians and to permanently cut the supply lines they provided to Louisbourg by removing them from the area.[12]

Without making distinctions between the Acadians who had been neutral and those who had resisted the occupation of Acadia, the British governor Charles Lawrence and the Nova Scotia Council ordered them to be expelled.[e] In the first wave of the expulsion, Acadians were deported to other British North American colonies. During the second wave, they were deported to Britain and France, and from there a significant number migrated to Spanish Louisiana, where "Acadians" eventually became "Cajuns"

Evangeline is a fictional character in a long (and famous) poem by Henry Wadsworth Longfellow, published in 1847.  She has become a symbol of Acadian (and Cajun) society ever since.   In addition to the railway in Canada, one of VIA Rail's name trains (discontinued a while ago presumably due to budget cuts) was named after "her" as well.

 Jim Yaworsky

Paul Doggett

Jim

Thank you I will pass this on to my Louisiana friend.
Paul Doggett

On 30 May 2020, at 16:48, James Yaworsky <jyaworsky@...> wrote:

[...]

Bruce A. Metcalf

Paul Doggett via groups.io wrote:

Where did the Evangeline Railway run to and from?
It ran from Yarmouth to Halifax, Nova Scotia, 1956-1990.

More at: <https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Evangeline_(train)>

Cheers,
/ Bruce /