ex-SP Overnight cars B-50-24 repaint questions

vapeurchapelon

Hello friends,

I am always looking for variety for my box car collection and found this one which I would be very interested in:

https://railmodel.com/product/bcm-0158

If I remember correctly that lettering scheme first appeared sometimes in 1955 - which is slightly after my model time frame ending in 1954, so I would have to repaint the model. I am specifically interested in the possible appearences of these cars after their Overnight service. Would it be correct to paint it fcr but with an earlier lettering scheme as currently seen on the model?
Or would it even be possible to make a car of another road? The car sides were unique, but according to this site:

http://www.steamerafreightcars.com/gallery/boxauto/sp-b-50-24main.html

Cotton Belt and UP also had cars with that side wall design.
Of course I searched the group archive but got hundreds of results which would take me months to find the appropriate answers I am afraid.

Many thanks for any help, and many greetings

Johannes

This appears to be a repaint prior to the use of the large Southern Pacific roadname. See the attached.

Tim O'Connor

On 4/24/2021 8:39 AM, vapeurchapelon wrote:
[...]

Sterling, Massachusetts

Paul Doggett

Johannes

In your period they would still be running in black, around 1955 they were repainted silver with the blocked lettering style. One for Tony Thompson to answer fully.

Paul Doggett.   England 🏴󠁧󠁢󠁥󠁮󠁧󠁿

On 24 Apr 2021, at 13:40, vapeurchapelon <j.markwart@...> wrote:

[...]

Lots of thanks, Tim! This is PERFECT! :-) The file name even says "1948-1954 style paint scheme"!

Many greetings

Johannes

Gesendet: Samstag, 24. April 2021 um 14:53 Uhr
Von: "Tim O'Connor" <timboconnor@...>
An: main@RealSTMFC.groups.io
Betreff: Re: [RealSTMFC] ex-SP Overnight cars B-50-24 repaint questions

[...]

Paul, many thanks to you too! Nice pic of an attractive paint scheme, but as you already may have seen, Tim O'Connor sent exactly what I was looking for.
A silver SP box car like this doubtless looks very nice, but aside of the too late date for me, it seems that at least 90-95% of steam era box cars were fcr or brown, that's why I will let the model repaint as the car shown at Tims photo.

Many greetings

Johannes