[EXT] Re: [RealSTMFC] "Blaster"

Bruce Smith

I definitely had to upgrade my compressor when I bought a North Coast Engineering grit blaster. Both capacity and flow are important variables. 

I too typically grit blast at around 60 PSI, both with baking soda (currently) and AlO2, whether plastic, resin, or brass.

Note that grit can also lose it's ability to "cut" with age so it does need to be replaced occasionally. I just had to do that with my baking soda a couple of months ago.

Regards,
Bruce Smith
Auburn, AL

From: main@RealSTMFC.groups.io <main@RealSTMFC.groups.io> on behalf of steve_wintner via groups.io <steve_wintner@...>
Sent: Tuesday, November 30, 2021 7:20 PM
To: main@RealSTMFC.groups.io <main@RealSTMFC.groups.io>
Subject: [EXT] Re: [RealSTMFC] "Blaster"

CAUTION: Email Originated Outside of Auburn.
I've found I needed 60+ psi and alu oxide grit to get good results on brass, using a Paasche Air Eraser. Soda or lower pressure didn't have enough oomph. 

Paul, which blaster are you using, and which grit ? 

Steve

WILLIAM PARDIE

Can anyone recommend a "Silent" compressor that has a high output.  I live in a condominium and if I use a standard compressor my neighbors are at my door with torches and pitchforks.

Bill Pardie

Sent from my Verizon, Samsung Galaxy smartphone

-------- Original message --------
Date: 11/30/21 3:30 PM (GMT-10:00)
To: main@RealSTMFC.groups.io
Subject: Re: [EXT] Re: [RealSTMFC] "Blaster"

I definitely had to upgrade my compressor when I bought a North Coast Engineering grit blaster. Both capacity and flow are important variables. 

I too typically grit blast at around 60 PSI, both with baking soda (currently) and AlO2, whether plastic, resin, or brass.

Note that grit can also lose it's ability to "cut" with age so it does need to be replaced occasionally. I just had to do that with my baking soda a couple of months ago.

Regards,
Bruce Smith
Auburn, AL

From: main@RealSTMFC.groups.io <main@RealSTMFC.groups.io> on behalf of steve_wintner via groups.io <steve_wintner@...>

I've found I needed 60+ psi and alu oxide grit to get good results on brass, using a Paasche Air Eraser. Soda or lower pressure didn't have enough oomph. 

Steve

Mansell Peter Hambly

I use diving air. It is dry and filtered. Cheap to refill but costly to start up.

Mansell Peter Hambly

COQUITLAM, B.C. CANADA

Sent from Mail for Windows

Sent: November 30, 2021 6:23 PM

Can anyone recommend a "Silent" compressor that has a high output.  I live in a condominium and if I use a standard compressor my neighbors are at my door with torches and pitchforks.

Bill Pardie

Regards,

Bruce Smith

Auburn, AL

Steve

Douglas Harding

Bill I use a Iwata Hammerhead Shark https://www.madisonartshop.com/haheshaico.html   Extremely quiet, same as a refrigerator. It has a ½ gallon air tank and puts out a max of 118lbs and 2.15 cfm. I recently used it to power an 18g brad nailer, with no problems or lack of air doing a home renovation project. I doubt it would handle a larger nail gun in continuous use.

I also have a Badger 260 grit blaster http://www.badgerairbrush.com/Badger_260.asp Badger recommends 30psi, but max of 80psi. I have had no problems blasting baking soda. I have not used alum oxide, but don’t think there will be any problem.

While the Hammerhead Shark is the top of the line, Iwata has a line of “Silent” compressors. Sil-air is another brand http://www.silentaire.com/silentaire/sil_air.asp . And of course Badger also sells one http://www.badgerairbrush.com/Compressors.asp

Doug Harding

www.iowacentralrr.org

From: main@RealSTMFC.groups.io <main@RealSTMFC.groups.io> On Behalf Of WILLIAM PARDIE
Sent: Tuesday, November 30, 2021 8:23 PM

Bill Pardie

Regards,

Bruce Smith

Auburn, AL

Steve

steve_wintner

Bill, i have 2 compressors, a Mr Hobby L7 and a Paasche DC600R. 

The L7 maxes out around 25 psi, but is very quiet. The Paasche is capable of higher pressures but is noisier - but quieter than some, especially the home Depot type noisemakers. I'd recommend it but don't know if it's "silent". 

I think a gas tank may be your best bet. 

Steve

Tim O'Connor

What we need is a Db rating for them at, say, 10 feet.

Years ago I watched a custom painter doing seasonal window painting inside a Dunkin Donuts
and the compressor was almost as quiet as a coffee maker... It had no tank.

On 11/30/2021 10:42 PM, steve_wintner via groups.io wrote:

The L7 maxes out around 25 psi, but is very quiet. The Paasche is capable of higher pressures but is noisier - but quieter than some, especially the home Depot type noisemakers. I'd recommend it but don't know if it's "silent".

Steve
--
*Tim O'Connor*
*Sterling, Massachusetts*

Douglas Harding

dB rating on the Iwata Hammerhead Shark is 60 decibels.
Specifications
· 1/2 hp
· 1.5 Gallon Tank 5.7 L
· 2.15 CFM@open flow 61lpm
· 84-114 PSI max. pressure
· 110V or 60Hz
· Overall dimensions 17 x 17 x 20"
· 55 Pounds 25kg

SilentAire Super-Silent 20-a compressor runs at 30dB and puts out .7CFM max 85psi

Doug Harding
www.iowacentralrr.org

-----Original Message-----
From: main@RealSTMFC.groups.io <main@RealSTMFC.groups.io> On Behalf Of Tim O'Connor
Sent: Wednesday, December 1, 2021 10:13 AM

Years ago I watched a custom painter doing seasonal window painting inside a Dunkin Donuts and the compressor was almost as quiet as a coffee maker... It had no tank.

The L7 maxes out around 25 psi, but is very quiet. The Paasche is
capable of higher pressures but is noisier - but quieter than some,
especially the home Depot type noisemakers. I'd recommend it but don't
know if it's "silent".

Steve

--
*Tim O'Connor*
*Sterling, Massachusetts*

Tim O'Connor

Wow. I've been in noisier hospital rooms than that! 😁 You could paint on the kitchen
table during dinner and no one would even notice. 😂

On 12/1/2021 11:40 AM, Douglas Harding wrote:
dB rating on the Iwata Hammerhead Shark is 60 decibels. 
Specifications
· 1/2 hp
· 1.5 Gallon Tank  5.7 L
· 2.15 CFM@open flow 61lpm
· 84-114 PSI max. pressure
· 110V or 60Hz
· Overall dimensions 17 x 17 x 20"
· 55 Pounds  25kg

SilentAire Super-Silent 20-a compressor runs at 30dB and puts out .7CFM max 85psi

Doug Harding
www.iowacentralrr.org

-----Original Message-----
From: main@RealSTMFC.groups.io <main@RealSTMFC.groups.io> On Behalf Of Tim O'Connor
Sent: Wednesday, December 1, 2021 10:13 AM

Years ago I watched a custom painter doing seasonal window painting inside a Dunkin Donuts and the compressor was almost as quiet as a coffee maker... It had no tank.

The L7 maxes out around 25 psi, but is very quiet. The Paasche is 
capable of higher pressures but is noisier - but quieter than some, 
especially the home Depot type noisemakers. I'd recommend it but don't 
know if it's "silent".

Steve

--
Tim O'Connor
Sterling, Massachusetts

Mac shp

If 60 decibels is ok  for you Lowes and Menard's sell tanked compressors that meet your
needs for a reasonable price.
Lowes offers several 60 db units including

https://www.lowes.com/pd/Kobalt-Quiet-Tech-4-3-Gallon-Single-Stage-Portable-Electric-Twin-Stack-Air-Compressor/1001013970

https://www.lowes.com/pd/Kobalt-QUIET-TECH-2-Gallon-Single-Stage-Portable-Electric-Hot-Dog-Air-Compressor/1001014016

and a
A  56 decb unit   https://www.lowes.com/pd/California-Air-Tools-Light-and-Quiet-1-Gallon-Single-Stage-Portable-Ele/1000753230

Menards

https://www.menards.com/main/tools/air-compressors/masterforce-reg-ultra-quiet-4-gallon-150-psi-portable-electric-horizontal-air-compressor/3300445/p-1536042526172-c-12910.htm?tid=778891584350964127&ipos=4