From: <main@RealSTMFC.groups.io> on behalf of "Claus Schlund &#92;(HGM&#92;)" <claus@...>
Date: Friday, May 14, 2021 at 2:06 PM
To: STMFC <main@RealSTMFC.groups.io>
Subject: [EXT] [RealSTMFC] Birds eye view of Westinghouse Plant Pittsburgh PA

Hi List Members,

Birds eye view of Westinghouse Plant Pittsburgh PA

Plenty of STMFCs to ponder.

What is the car at the extreme right side of the image? Some kind of multi-truck heavy duty flat?

Enjoy!

Claus Schlund

Scott

Interesting scene.  With some modelers compression that would make an fun switching area.  Looks like an F unit in there to a couple of tracks over from the big flat car.

Scott McDonald

Tom Madden

I shared the attached Ralph Hallock 1952 photo from the Colorado Railroad Museum collection with Bruce a couple years ago. I believe it's another view of the area in the lower right of the Westinghouse photo under discussion.

Tom Madden

wahsatch

It's actually the East Pittsburgh plant. Home to LRA [large rotating apparatus] 1000 HP motors & generators & a lot bigger. MAC [medium a/c was in Buffalo]. 5000 hp was only about 10 ft in diameter. Also the Transportation Div. The Metros about did them in. The St. Louis Car Jersey Arrows was the last except for a possible NYC subway order. Over 50 yrs ago I got to drive our crusty circle W van out to EPitt to pickup some parts for the Metros. Got to smell about a gallon of mixed transformer & Inerteen oil in the rear of the old Dodge out & back from Philly.

-=- Bob Colquitt
Sent: Friday, May 14, 2021 at 2:39 PM
From: "Bruce Smith" <smithbf@...>
To: "main@RealSTMFC.groups.io" <main@RealSTMFC.groups.io>

Claus,

Why that is almost certainly the PRR FD2 “Queen Mary” flat car #470245. Give that it was built to haul loads specifically for Westinghouse, she was usually stored on Westinghouse’s property in that general area.

Note that two tracks to the left of the flat car is most likely the Westinghouse Baldwin turbine-electric #4000.

Regards,

Bruce Smith

Auburn, AL