From: <main@RealSTMFC.groups.io> on behalf of Garth Groff and Sally Sanford <mallardlodge1000@...>
Date: Friday, May 21, 2021 at 6:39 AM
To: "RealSTMFC@groups.io" <RealSTMFC@groups.io>
Subject: [EXT] [RealSTMFC] C&EI Gondola

Friends,

While this photo features a PRR 2-10-2 (an N2?), here is a nearly complete, if somewhat grainy, view of a C&EI gondola. I think the number is 94358 from series 92000-9449. There were still seven of these cars in service in 1958.

The car is similar to Caswell gondolas in series 91000-91999, which according to Richard Hendrickson (RMJ, March 2000), the C&EI modernized with steel sides and ends during WWII. He didn't say if the rebuilt cars came from the 92000 series, but that seems a reasonable assumption.

Also note the NYC boxcar immediately behind the tender.

This photo is in my collection, and is undated or otherwise identified, but I suggest it is early 1930s.

Additional comments or clarification would be welcome.

Yours Aye,

Garth Groff  🦆