[EXT] [RealSTMFC] Late 40's to mid 50's military rail movements

Bruce Smith

Bob,

To add to some of the other comments.
  1. Your era is pretty broad, so it is tough to narrow down specifics. In part beccause your era includes the Korean conflict, but also includes years outside that.
  2. Both railroad and and military owned flat cars were used. In 1953, the military received a number of six axle heavy duty Magor built flats that were used in interchange service. These were typically reserved for heavier loads such as medium and heavy tanks, adn then main battle tanks. These cars have been offered by Roco.
  3. The boxcars were not common in interchange, but some were stenciled to allow it. 
  4. Movements are of many types. New equipment from manufacturers, old equipment being sent for reconditioning, old equipment being sent to National Guard units, equipment going to or from manuevers, and equipment being moved to overseas deployment sites, to name a few.
Regards,
Bruce Smith
Auburn, AL

From: main@RealSTMFC.groups.io <main@RealSTMFC.groups.io> on behalf of Robert G P <bobgp5109@...>
Sent: Saturday, October 16, 2021 2:40 PM
To: RealSTMFC@groups.io <RealSTMFC@groups.io>
Subject: [EXT] [RealSTMFC] Late 40's to mid 50's military rail movements

CAUTION: Email Originated Outside of Auburn.
Hello all, 

I would like to model very accurately a few cars -probably loaded flats- carrying military equipment appropriate to my era. I have seen a lot of US Army boxcars or whatever and such but have never witnessed these in manifest freights. 

Basically what my question is, what did military (non complete train and non troop) movements in this era look like? The flats would've been road owned surely? How likely is it that a DOD or U.S Army/Navy/AF lettered car of any type would be loaded and sent out with about 4 or 5 flats with crates and vehicles? 

And yes I know the cheap US Army lettered stuff is practically as un-prototypical as it gets, F.Y.I... And that most prototypical US Army stuff was meant for movements on their own property like the Transportation Corps.

Thank you much,
Bob