From: main@RealSTMFC.groups.io <main@RealSTMFC.groups.io> on behalf of WILLIAM PARDIE <PARDIEW001@...>
Sent: Thursday, March 25, 2021 12:43 PM
To: main@realstmfc.groups.io <main@RealSTMFC.groups.io>
Subject: [EXT] [RealSTMFC] REDEMPTION

 Yeah!  Now I can justify my NKP hopper on the SP.  If only I could do that for the Pennsy gondola.

Bill Pardie

BillNow if I could just do that for the ._,_WHIL

George Eichelberger

Bruce is certainly correct! The PRR had 227,881 freight cars service in 1942 (see attached for all railroads from the SRHA archives), no other road comes close. PRR cars would have been everywhere.

Ike

Bob Chaparro

On Fri, Mar 26, 2021 at 06:50 AM, George Eichelberger wrote:
PRR cars would have been everywhere.
Boxcars, gondolas, flat cars...absolutely.
Other cars, maybe not. The size of the fleet would not necessarily have spread all types of cars everywhere.
I will say that as a modeler of western roads, living in the west, I have only in recent years been aware of the need for more PRR cars on my railroad.
Having visited hundreds of model railroads in the west that reflect western railroads, the lack of PRR representation is amazing.
Bob Chaparro
Hemet, CA

Garth Groff and Sally Sanford

Friends,

This takes us back to the two truisms of steam-era freight cars (well, they have "truthiness"):

(a) A Great Northern Boxcar is more-or-less required in every freight train, preferably within the first ten cars.

(b) Every standard-gauge North American model railroader of any railroad is (or should be) a Pennsylvania Railroad modeler.

I'm somewhat dubious about this gondola turning up in the far west, though I wouldn't say it never happened. The loads in these containers were probably not something that would commonly be shipped across the country. Ditto PRR covered hoppers later wandering west. Hoppers, covered hoppers and gondolas with containers would all be atypical, if not rare, unless carrying some specific commodity to a special industry.

Boxcars, flats and gondolas, yes! My fleet, which is for a Southern Railway-associated Virginia shortline, has a bunch of PRR boxcars, two gondolas, and two flat cars, but I can't justify anything else.

Yours Aye,

Garth Groff  🦆

On Fri, Mar 26, 2021 at 12:03 PM Bob Chaparro via groups.io <chiefbobbb=verizon.net@groups.io> wrote:
On Fri, Mar 26, 2021 at 06:50 AM, George Eichelberger wrote:
PRR cars would have been everywhere.
Boxcars, gondolas, flat cars...absolutely.
Other cars, maybe not. The size of the fleet would not necessarily have spread all types of cars everywhere.
I will say that as a modeler of western roads, living in the west, I have only in recent years been aware of the need for more PRR cars on my railroad.
Having visited hundreds of model railroads in the west that reflect western railroads, the lack of PRR representation is amazing.
Bob Chaparro
Hemet, CA

George Eichelberger

Bob:

I expect the use of foreign line cars was as much about what they carried as anything else.

For example, in the South wood racks (pulpwood cars) did not travel off line much because the rates to haul wood were so low, it was not practical to pay another road per diem and split the tariff. Hopper cars would be similar except rates from mines to steel plants or ports may be more likely to involve different roads. Cars with higher value loads would have been more likely to go farther off line.

Digging through the SRHA archives has given me a different view of car movements. From about 1941 to ’49 or so wartime use and regs led to cars being used farther from their home roads. Post war shortages led to cars being “captured” by the receiving road and sent elsewhere under load. In other words, car movements for a significant part of the STMFC era were not normal or what we would expect. Post war “pools” for appliances and auto parts can appear illogical for car movements.

Ike

WILLIAM PARDIE

Thanks to all who have replied to this ;post.  I guess that I was not very clear with my comment on the PRR gondola.  I had no doubt that these cars made it to the west coast.  My concern was the container load.  To me this makes this car special.
While I do not expect that the Prototype :Police will show up at my door and penalize me, I do try to keep my roster contained with cars that would hav e traveled to the west coast.  I have documented a red,white and blue New Haven car in San
Francisco.  The DT2I hopper lends credence to an ;eastern hopper making an appearance.  I do not have a Jones And Laughton tank car on m roster although  think that it is a really neat car.

I am always pleased with the comments and views of our knowledgable list members.

Thanks Again and Stay Safe:

Bill Pardie

On Mar 26, 2021, at 3:50 AM, George Eichelberger <geichelberger@...> wrote:

Bruce is certainly correct! The PRR had 227,881 freight cars service in 1942 (see attached for all railroads from the SRHA archives), no other road comes close. PRR cars would have been everywhere.

Ike

<1941-9-20 AAR Car Service Div 1942 frt car situation Pg 1.jpeg>

<1941-9-20 AAR Car Service Div 1942 frt car situation Pg 2.jpeg>

Schuyler Larrabee

George, any chance of sharing this as a true “attachment” so it could be opened at a size where it’s legible?

Schuyler

Bruce is certainly correct! The PRR had 227,881 freight cars service in 1942 (see attached for all railroads from the SRHA archives), no other road comes close. PRR cars would have been everywhere.

Ike

George Eichelberger

The full size tiffs of the ’41 “Freight Car Situation” are on Google Drive at...

Ike

O Fenton Wells

Thanks Ike
Fenton

--
Fenton Wells
250 Frye Rd

gtws00

Schuler,
I grabbed this copy of the Ultimate thinning guide from their website. The attached one is a bit larger in size and a bit easier to read.
Also here is there website if you care to see it online. They have many nice products, but hard to get with Covid around as shipping is very costly direct from them

Tutorials | Ultimate Modelling Products (umpretail.com)

Ultimate_Thinner_Chart_V1.2_19c16a42-89ef-4218-b13c-e520698b1e02.webp (724×1024)

I use mostly Acrylics now and avoid lacquerer paints not because I don't like them but because I cannot tolerate them even with the use of a vented spray booth.

Hope this helps
George Toman
Willow Springs, IL

Steve SANDIFER

Going through 2 Conductor’s Records books (1300 cars each) from the ATSF, Mid Kansas

1923: 5 PRR Box cars

                11 PRR gondolas

1930: 9 PRR Box cars

                1 PRR Autobox

                2 PRR 65’ steel drop end gondolas.

So that is about 1 PRR in 100 cars in those locations.

J. Stephen Sandifer

George, any chance of sharing this as a true “attachment” so it could be opened at a size where it’s legible?

Schuyler

Bruce is certainly correct! The PRR had 227,881 freight cars service in 1942 (see attached for all railroads from the SRHA archives), no other road comes close. PRR cars would have been everywhere.

Ike

Douglas Harding

Bob I have a record showing a PRR stockcar on the MSTL in Iowa, coming with load from S St Paul MN in the late 40s. So lesser known PRR cars did get around.

Doug Harding

www.iowacentralrr.org