From: main@RealSTMFC.groups.io <main@RealSTMFC.groups.io> on behalf of Jim Sabol <jimsabol@...>
Sent: Thursday, May 6, 2021 7:40 PM
To: main@RealSTMFC.groups.io <main@RealSTMFC.groups.io>
Subject: [EXT] [RealSTMFC] Resemble Grease

Guys, what product (paint, stain, blackener, . . . ) would best represent the greasy look under the switch points of a well maintained turnout; or around journal boxes, for that matter? Thanks.

Brian Stokes

Vallejo makes some great weathering effects that resemble all kinds of grease and grime. I have a few that I have been experimenting with for journal boxes, etc.

--
Brian Stokes
North Point Street in Proto:48

Jim Sabol

Thanks, guys. I’ll look for that Poly Scale Oily Black.

Sent from Mail for Windows 10

Jim Sabol

No Poly Scale Oily Black, or any color,  at Des Plaines, Micro Mark, Walthers . . .    Any ideas?

Sent from Mail for Windows 10

Mark Rossiter

There is a 1/2 oz. Of Poly Scale oily black showing in stock under 'Miscellaneous Colors" p/n 500-015 on the narrowgaugemodeling.com website.

Mark Rossiter

Philip Dove

Depends what type of grease you want to represent, but for some grease, (graphite based ones?)ordinary pencil lead or powdered graphite as used to lubricate Kadee couplings can leave a greasy look in weathering.

Scott H. Haycock

For this, and many other weathering  'paints' that can be useful for weathering freight cars, check out Vallejo's lines for military modelers.

Scott Haycock
ent

On 05/07/2021 10:31 PM Philip Dove <philipdove22@...> wrote:

Depends what type of grease you want to represent, but for some grease, (graphite based ones?)ordinary pencil lead or powdered graphite as used to lubricate Kadee couplings can leave a greasy look in weathering.

Bill Decker

Indeed!  NarrowGuageModeling.com is a "hidden" gem.  He has been purchasing batches of Floquil and PollyScale whenever he finds them, often from closing hobby shops (retail and "in the closet?"--wink).  He got a batch of 800 bottles a few months ago that yielded more of a couple of colors I use extensively.  If you need Floquil or PolyScale, this is a great resource!

Bill Decker
McMinnville, Oregon

Gary Ray

Note that there is a type in the link.  Should be NarrowGaugeModeling.com.

Or click here:  Narrow Gauge Modeling Co. | Best of Class Accessories for O & 1/4" Scale, On18, On2, On3, and On30

Gary Ray

Magalia, CA

Indeed!  NarrowGuageModeling.com is a "hidden" gem.  He has been purchasing batches of Floquil and PollyScale whenever he finds them, often from closing hobby shops (retail and "in the closet?"--wink).  He got a batch of 800 bottles a few months ago that yielded more of a couple of colors I use extensively.  If you need Floquil or PolyScale, this is a great resource!

Bill Decker
McMinnville, Oregon

Schuyler Larrabee

I’m somewhat surprised nobody’s mentioned using dirty black colors in acrylic paint form.  Liquitex is the best known brand with a very wide range of colors.  Use it directly from the tube, it will (slowly) dry in 3D form if that’s what you  want.

Schuyler

Depends what type of grease you want to represent, but for some grease, (graphite based ones?)ordinary pencil lead or powdered graphite as used to lubricate Kadee couplings can leave a greasy look in weathering.

Jim Sabol

Thanks, Schuy. Great idea. Texture is as important as color. Jim here.

Sent from Mail for Windows 10