From: main@RealSTMFC.groups.io <main@RealSTMFC.groups.io> on behalf of Tim O'Connor <timboconnor@...>
Sent: Wednesday, February 12, 2020 7:44 PM
To: main@RealSTMFC.groups.io
Subject: [External] Re: [RealSTMFC] REA questions

Don

The gold lettered scheme was introduced in 1953.

The white lettered scheme began in 1960.

Then from 1961 the lettering style changed to sans serif and the
new REA herald was introduced. At first the cars were Hunter Green
and then later Chromate Green.

Tim O'

On 2/11/2020 10:06 PM, Don DeLay via Groups.Io wrote:

I have a few questions if anyone knows the answers. What years are these cars good for and when did the paint change from dark to light green? Thanks in advance

Don DeLay

Attachments:

_

Sterling, Massachusetts

Dennis Storzek

On Wed, Feb 19, 2020 at 05:32 PM, naptownprr wrote:

So how were the cars lettered before 1953?

http://www.gregariousrailfan.com/images/REA_rail_car.jpg

Dennis

naptownprr

Thanks.  I also didn't know that REA bought some used troop kitchen cars.

Jim Hunter

On Wed, Feb 19, 2020 at 05:32 PM, naptownprr wrote:

So how were the cars lettered before 1953?

http://www.gregariousrailfan.com/images/REA_rail_car.jpg

Dennis

Jim Lancaster

On Wed, Feb 19, 2020 at 08:09 PM, Dennis Storzek wrote:
On Wed, Feb 19, 2020 at 05:32 PM, naptownprr wrote:

So how were the cars lettered before 1953?

http://www.gregariousrailfan.com/images/REA_rail_car.jpg

Dennis
After the Second World War the Railway Express Agency rebuilt a number of troop sleepers into express refrigerator cars. The late Lou Cross took this photo in Los Angeles in the early 1950s. I originally posted the image on my web page http://coastdaylight.com/reareefer.html almost twenty years ago.

Jim Lancaster

Rich Yoder

Hi Dennis,

I know it’s not proper to answer a question with another question but does anyone know when REA purchased the cars from the Army?

Rich Yoder