From: main@RealSTMFC.groups.io [mailto:main@RealSTMFC.groups.io] On Behalf Of Bob Chaparro via Groups.Io
Sent: Wednesday, October 23, 2019 9:42 PM
To: main@RealSTMFC.groups.io
Subject: [RealSTMFC] Fixing Shifted Loads

What is the name of the fixture used to right shifted loads on flat cars and gondolas?

Were these fixtures manufactured by specific companies or typically built by the railroads?

Bob Chaparro

Thanks.

Hemet, CA

np328

My railroad called it a "Load Shifter" and had several along the line. Up until the later 1950's, they were hand powered with crank on cable take up spools.  I recently came upon an AFE while researching for someone where electric motors were to be added to the existing device.
The device (in plans) looked home built of very heavy timbers.    Jim Dick - Roseville, MN

Richard Wilkens

Also know as a load shifter on the SP&S.

Rich Wilkens
Archivist, SP&S Railway Historical Society.

Bob Chaparro

Several of you responded "load shifter" and a Google search of this term with the term "railroad" revealed this to be a common term. Thank you.
Unfortunately, the Google search produced no photos.
Bob Chaparro
Hemet, CA

brianleppert@att.net

Here are two views of Southern Pacific's "load shifter" at their Taylor Yard in Los Angeles , July 1966.  Not good photos, but I was only 15 with a plastic camera.

Brian Leppert
Carson City, NV

Tim O'Connor

I'm sure it depends on the era. Modern steel devices like this one were built postwar.
I know the GN had a similar device as this one in Gavin Yard.

Tim O'

On 10/23/2019 10:41 PM, Bob Chaparro via Groups.Io wrote:

What is the name of the fixture used to right shifted loads on flat cars and gondolas?

Were these fixtures manufactured by specific companies or typically built by the railroads?

Bob Chaparro

Thanks.

Hemet, CA

Sterling, Massachusetts

Dave Yingst

The Santa Fe film "Payday", dealing with reducing lading damage from about 1953, shows a load shifter in operation. The film can be found on YouTube by searching Santa Fe railroad.
Dave Yingst
Corning, CA

Bob Chaparro

The load shifter/load adjuster is seen in action at 11:47 in the film:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RO4xn-NJjmU

Bob Chaparro

Hemet, CA

Bob Chaparro

Model: Load Shifter

Courtesy of Paul Koehler, these are photos of a load shifter built by the late Bill Topham of Glendale, CA, for his HO scale Silver Palace Lines. Although it is not an exact replica, Bill scratch built this from studying the load shifter located in Southern Pacific's Taylor yard.

Bill's father was an SP engineer so I assume Bill had good access to the Taylor Yard facilities.

The Silver Palace Lines appeared in the March 1982 Railroad Model Craftsman, the June 1977 NMRA Bulletin and other publications.

This model will be installed on Paul's layout, also in Glendale.

Bob Chaparro

Hemet, CA