Topics

Flat Car Deck: What Color?

Bob Chaparro

Flat Car Deck: What Color?

I have a Tangent Scale Models HO scale GSC sixty-foot flatcar. The car is supposed to be a Santa Fe Class Ft-7.

It has a build date of 4-56 which is perfect as I model 1956. As such, I plan to very lightly weather the car.

My question is, as delivered to the Santa Fe, what color would the wood deck have been? Raw wood? Treated wood? Body color? Tangent painted the deck gray, which somehow does not seem correct.

Anyone have a definitive answer based on this class of car or known Santa Fe practice.? I’d rather avoid conjecture.

Thanks.

Bob Chaparro

Hemet, CA

Tim O'Connor

Somewhere I recall (RPM meet? Sunshine kit instructions?) that the STMFC era Santa Fe used creosoted wood decks.

On 3/7/2021 9:35 PM, Bob Chaparro via groups.io wrote:

Flat Car Deck: What Color?

I have a Tangent Scale Models HO scale GSC sixty-foot flatcar. The car is supposed to be a Santa Fe Class Ft-7.

It has a build date of 4-56 which is perfect as I model 1956. As such, I plan to very lightly weather the car.

My question is, as delivered to the Santa Fe, what color would the wood deck have been? Raw wood? Treated wood? Body color? Tangent painted the deck gray, which somehow does not seem correct.

Anyone have a definitive answer based on this class of car or known Santa Fe practice.? I’d rather avoid conjecture.

Thanks.

Bob Chaparro

Sterling, Massachusetts