Flat car with lumber load Vancouver Island

Claus Schlund \(HGM\)

Hi List Members,

Flat car with lumber load Vancouver Island. I'm not quite able to read the road name, but some of us who are more familiar with Canadian roads will probably know right away. Car is stencilled BLT 3-50 and the length is indicated as 52ft.

Enjoy!

Claus Schlund

Gavin

Based on font, my guess is CPR, as they had an extensive operation on the island.

Sent from Mail for Windows 10

Flat car with lumber load Vancouver Island. I'm not quite able to read the road name, but some of us who are more familiar with Canadian roads will probably know right away. Car is stencilled BLT 3-50 and the length is indicated as 52ft.

Enjoy!

Claus Schlund

James Musgrove

Claus,

These photos are great.

Still hoping for an RF&P one.

Jim Musgrove

Flat car with lumber load Vancouver Island. I'm not quite able to read the road name, but some of us who are more familiar with Canadian roads will probably know right away. Car is stencilled BLT 3-50 and the length is indicated as 52ft.

Enjoy!

Claus Schlund

Steve and Barb Hile

Based on the length of the word between the stake pockets, I would vote for Canadian National.

FWIW

Steve Hile

Based on font, my guess is CPR, as they had an extensive operation on the island.

Sent from Mail for Windows 10

Flat car with lumber load Vancouver Island. I'm not quite able to read the road name, but some of us who are more familiar with Canadian roads will probably know right away. Car is stencilled BLT 3-50 and the length is indicated as 52ft.

Enjoy!

Claus Schlund

John Riddell

CN flat

John Riddell

cptracks

I cannot identify the flat car, but it appears that the ship is not one of the CP Pacific Prinesses, as none of their single stackers seem to have been set up that way.

--
Colin Riley
20-2500 Florence Lake Road

Larry Rice

Greetings,

Almost certainly Canadian National, being unloaded and the lumber loaded directly aboard ship at Cowichan Bay on Vancouver Island.

Watch this... https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6b5GBPmwoZo

Larry Rice
Port Townsend  WA
Within sight of Vancouver Island

Richard Wilkens

Name on the ship is the "Fides" which was a WW2 Liberty Ship and was sold to an Italian shipping company and it sunk in the Elbe estuary on January 20, 1962.

Rich Wilkens

Chuck Soule

I would suspect it is much more likely the lumber is being loaded ONTO the ship to go elsewhere.  There would be little need to ship lumber TO Vancouver Island :)

Chuck Soule

Gavin

It would be like shipping copper to Britannia Beach :).

On Sun, May 9, 2021 at 7:46 PM Chuck Soule <timken2626@...> wrote:
I would suspect it is much more likely the lumber is being loaded ONTO the ship to go elsewhere.  There would be little need to ship lumber TO Vancouver Island :)

Chuck Soule

Dave Lawler

The ship’s name board shows the letters “FIDE?”.

If someone has an old Lloyds Register they might be able to identify it.

Dave Lawler

Sent from Mail for Windows 10

Larry Rice

Yes, as I wrote and is clearly shown in the video I provided the link to, the lumber is being loaded onto the ship.

The flatcars were loaded in the vicinity of Lake Cowichan, roughly centered in the southernmost portion of the island, and then taken eastward to saltwater at Cowichan Bay.

This was an export operation in Cowichan Bay on the eastern shore of Vancouver Island.

Larry Rice
Port Townsend  WA