Topics

For the case somebody likes to see freight cars running

vapeurchapelon

Hello friends,

this has been filmed yesterday at an exhibition near Stuttgart, Germany:

https://www.facebook.com/plugins/video.php?href=https%3A%2F%2Fwww.facebook.com%2Fbernd.schroter.566%2Fvideos%2F749394172252008%2F&show_text=0&width=560

Train is completely brass, engine is CIL with some detail upgrades and all-wheel current pick-up. Runs extremely well. Yes I know - SP&S caboose is bogus with this engine - I will take care of this soon.
And yes I remember the discussion about the PRR G24 scrap service gondola and the conclusion that it wouldn't be that good for any train away from certain PRR rails - but very recently I found this seemingly professionally painted or repainted model in Italy - and it was a "steal" so I couldn't resist.

The whole train may not be very accurate, of course - but train length was restricted because of short yards, and I have lots of still unpainted and more "generic" cars like PS-1, USRA drop-bottom gondola, USRA box, XM-1 box, etc. which will join the train at a later time.
An hour earlier I have had a beautyful NH "State-of-Maine" insulated box car in the train, but unfortunately this hasn't been filmed I believe.

All but very few cars with special trucks (like the W&R coal gondola with its clasp brakes) have been converted to the (hopefully correct type of) Tahoe trucks with necessary work on the bolsters.
Generally all cars are "reworked" and improved more or less extensively, that means repairs or improvements on solder joints and detail upgrades (at least those in 99% apparent stupid "steps" or s-shaped bents in the brake rods, along with other brake detail corrections).

Hope the one or the other of you will enjoy the clip.

Regards

Johannes
modeling the early post-war years up to about 1953

BRIAN PAUL EHNI

Very nice, Johannes!

Thanks!
Brian Ehni
(Sent from my iPhone)

On Feb 10, 2020, at 1:37 PM, vapeurchapelon <j.markwart@...> wrote:

[...]

Many thanks, Brian! And I forgot to mention: -at an even later date but very surely all cars will be weathered, of course!

Johannes

Gesendet: Montag, 10. Februar 2020 um 20:40 Uhr
Von: "BRIAN PAUL EHNI" <bpehni@...>
An: main@realstmfc.groups.io
Betreff: Re: [RealSTMFC] For the case somebody likes to see freight cars running
[...]

Tony Thompson

      Nice looking train, Johannes!

Tony Thompson

RICH CHAPIN

Sehr Gut!! Nioce array of freight cars, especially the gon with cement bottles!

Clark Propst

That's alot of brass! Very nice collection. Good to see those cars put to use  ;  ))
Thanks for sharing the link,
CW Propst

Bob Chaparro

Nice to see a canister gondola with the appropriate cut-outs in the side panels.
Bob Chaparro
Hemet, CA

golden1014

Hi Johannes, what is the event?  Stuttgart is just two hours from my home--on a good day.  John Golden, Ramstein, Germany

vapeurchapelon

Hello John,

it was just an "ordinary" model rr exhibition last weekend with only our modular arrangment being US-related:

http://www.mec-leonberg.de/HZ_2020.jpg

We will find another (and probably much better!) event where we would like to meet you!

Greetings

Gesendet: Montag, 10. Februar 2020 um 22:12 Uhr
Von: "golden1014 via Groups.Io" <golden1014@...>
An: main@RealSTMFC.groups.io
Hi Johannes, what is the event?  Stuttgart is just two hours from my home--on a good day.  John Golden, Ramstein, Germany

vapeurchapelon

Hello Bob and all,

this cement gondola is a fairly recent American Scale Models import and is very nice (and very heavy...).

Thanks

Johannes

Gesendet: Dienstag, 11. Februar 2020 um 17:42 Uhr
Von: "Bob Chaparro via Groups.Io" <chiefbobbb@...>