Fort Dodge, Des Moines & Southern Ventilated Refrigerator 942

Lester Breuer

I have built and reworked an Accurail - 5th Avenue Car Shops kit into a Fort Dodge, Des Moines & Southern ventilated Refrigerator car.  Rework included new end sill install, milling running board and grab iron fasteners/rivets to be applied via new method to new installed wire grab irons after molded ladders and grab irons and fasteners carved off.  If you are interested photos and write up are now available on my blog I have to share photos and writeup of modeling projects on my Minneapolis & Northland Railroad Company.  If would like to take a look please do at the following link:

http://mnrailroadcab100.blogspot.com/

Lester Breuer

vapeurchapelon

Lester,

due to lack of knowledge of the prototype I can't comment in regard of accuracy, but it's definitely a beautiful model! Very well done!

Johannes

Gesendet: Samstag, 01. Mai 2021 um 14:08 Uhr
Von: "Lester Breuer" <rforailroad@...>
An: main@RealSTMFC.groups.io
Betreff: [RealSTMFC] Fort Dodge, Des Moines & Southern Ventilated Refrigerator 942

I have built and reworked an Accurail - 5th Avenue Car Shops kit into a Fort Dodge, Des Moines & Southern ventilated Refrigerator car.  Rework included new end sill install, milling running board and grab iron fasteners/rivets to be applied via new method to new installed wire grab irons after molded ladders and grab irons and fasteners carved off.  If you are interested photos and write up are now available on my blog I have to share photos and writeup of modeling projects on my Minneapolis & Northland Railroad Company.  If would like to take a look please do at the following link:

http://mnrailroadcab100.blogspot.com/

Lester Breuer

Paul Doggett

Lester

It’s looks up to usual high standards nice model.
Paul Doggett.   England 🏴󠁧󠁢󠁥󠁮󠁧󠁿

Gesendet: Samstag, 01. Mai 2021 um 14:08 Uhr
Von: "Lester Breuer" <rforailroad@...>
An: main@RealSTMFC.groups.io

I have built and reworked an Accurail - 5th Avenue Car Shops kit into a Fort Dodge, Des Moines & Southern ventilated Refrigerator car.  Rework included new end sill install, milling running board and grab iron fasteners/rivets to be applied via new method to new installed wire grab irons after molded ladders and grab irons and fasteners carved off.  If you are interested photos and write up are now available on my blog I have to share photos and writeup of modeling projects on my Minneapolis & Northland Railroad Company.  If would like to take a look please do at the following link:

http://mnrailroadcab100.blogspot.com/

Lester Breuer

Brian Carlson

Interesting, but I do have one question. Eric‘s presentation was on ventilated box cars. This looks like a normal refrigerator car. Why was it classified as a ventilated box car?

Brian J. Carlson

On May 1, 2021, at 8:08 AM, Lester Breuer <rforailroad@...> wrote:

I have built and reworked an Accurail - 5th Avenue Car Shops kit into a Fort Dodge, Des Moines & Southern ventilated Refrigerator car.  Rework included new end sill install, milling running board and grab iron fasteners/rivets to be applied via new method to new installed wire grab irons after molded ladders and grab irons and fasteners carved off.  If you are interested photos and write up are now available on my blog I have to share photos and writeup of modeling projects on my Minneapolis & Northland Railroad Company.  If would like to take a look please do at the following link:

http://mnrailroadcab100.blogspot.com/

Lester Breuer

Garth Groff and Sally Sanford

Brian and Lester,

I have a 1952 ORER page that lists this car as VS: "Fruit-Vegetable Insulated Ventilator. A house car equipped with insulation and hinged swinging side doors, and a means of ventilation. Not equipped for refrigeration . . . ." The series was 932-946 (8 cars at that time). These cars are not in my full October 1958 ORER.

Years ago I did one of these cars from a Train Miniature reefer with the hatches. My car was orange (all I had to work from was a tiny B&W image from a story in MR), which obviously wasn't right and I didn't have the information for the fine detailing of Lester's outstanding model. I kept the car in my great plastic clean-out simply because I liked it and I was born in Iowa. Maybe someday I will follow Lester's lead, do it again correctly, and retire the TM car. Maybe.

Yours Aye,

Garth Groff  🦆

Yours Aye

On Sat, May 1, 2021 at 8:53 AM Brian Carlson via groups.io <prrk41361=yahoo.com@groups.io> wrote:
[...]

Tony Thompson

Brian Carlson wrote:

Interesting, but I do have one question. Eric‘s presentation was on ventilated box cars. This looks like a normal refrigerator car. Why was it classified as a ventilated box car?

It's a ventilated refrigerator car, not a ventilated box. This was a common designation before 1950. It refers to ventilation with hatches open, not with ventilation through the door opening.

Tony Thompson

Brian Carlson

Yep. I figured that out after I sent my email. I got confused because the first sentence of Lester’s blog talks about ventilated box cars. It was relatively early here and I’m gonna blame it on the fact I was not awake yet. LOL

Brian J. Carlson

On May 1, 2021, at 2:09 PM, Tony Thompson <tony@...> wrote:

Brian Carlson wrote:

Interesting, but I do have one question. Eric‘s presentation was on ventilated box cars. This looks like a normal refrigerator car. Why was it classified as a ventilated box car?

It's a ventilated refrigerator car, not a ventilated box. This was a common designation before 1950. It refers to ventilation with hatches open, not with ventilation through the door opening.

Tony Thompson

Lester Breuer

Yes it is definitely a Ventilated Refrigerator, FtDDM&S, class VS.   I stated I was interested in building a ventilated box car; however, contacting Eric and not finding any photos the ventilated box car project was dead and with photo help from Ray the ventilated refrigerator became the project.  Hope that clarifies.  I thought the text in the blog made it clear; however, I guess not.  Hopes this clarifies.
Lester Breuer