Topics

From Lake States Archives photo

Bill Welch

Several of us who attended Chicagoland 2019 were gifted pairs of these ends by a friend. I plan to use them with InterMountain composite gondola kit to make a Monon model. Another reason to come to RPMs because there are Modeling Undergrounds around at such gatherings.

Bill Welch

Dennis Storzek

On Fri, Nov 8, 2019 at 01:50 AM, Dan Smith wrote:
https://www.lakestatesarchive.org/Ed-Wilkommen-Collection/Freight-Cars/i-FBD47MC/A
This appears to be a Haskell & Barker proprietary end. Only used on a few series of cars, all built by H&B, the H&B drawing collection in the Pullman Library of the Illinois Railway Museum contains more drawings of the geometry of the pressings than was typical of ends purchased from other vendors. I suspect the spiral pattern of the pressed rib was intended to circumvent the Murphy end patent that claimed "tapered ribs."

Dennis Storzek

Bob Webber

Yeah - I think that I've scanned a couple dozen of these in the last 3 weeks (scanning all H&B drawings). There's a few variants. There's this oval spiral, a more circular spiral (for house cars), a less rounded, rectangular spiral and a few others.

C&H is not likely the original owner. I think CI&W had gons like this. I haven't been paying too much attention to who what cars were made for - we do add the Lot information into the metadata when available, but...when the drawings/files are large, you can't see both the description and the Lot information at once as they are at the bottom and top, respectively, of a 3' wide image. (usually)

Were anyone interested we can look, but it isn't something that is easy. Attempting to put too much information, esp. that which isn't on the data block is far too time consuming (when you have a few more drawings to process).

<https://www.lakestatesarchive.org/Ed-Wilkommen-Collection/Freight-Cars/i-FBD47MC/A>https://www.lakestatesarchive.org/Ed-Wilkommen-Collection/Freight-Cars/i-FBD47MC/A

This appears to be a Haskell & Barker proprietary end. Only used on a few series of cars, all built by H&B, the H&B drawing collection in the Pullman Library of the Illinois Railway Museum contains more drawings of the geometry of the pressings than was typical of ends purchased from other vendors. I suspect the spiral pattern of the pressed rib was intended to circumvent the Murphy end patent that claimed "tapered ribs."

Dennis Storzek
Bob Webber

Bob Webber

This is the closest I found to that car (in the photo):
Steel End 500 1920 Lot 5209 CCM Co. Gondola

HB-9682-36-72

(There are others - but not where I can reach them at the moment)

On Fri, Nov 8, 2019 at 07:14 AM, Bob Webber wrote:
This is the closest I found to that car (in the photo):
Steel End 500 1920 Lot 5209 CCM Co. Gondola

HB-9682-36-72
Could be... That lot of Clarkson Coal Mining cars were built as composite cars (steel frame, wood sheathing). The entire lot of 500 cars went to the Soo Line in 1927, who rebuilt them with nine panel steel sides in 1951. The Soo Line freightcar book by Soroos states "...were rebuilt in 1951 with fixed ends as well as steel sides and floor." The fixed end comment makes no sense as they were obviously built with fixed ends, and the ends don't show in the picture of the rebuilt car, so can't tell if the ends were replaced or not. Either way, after spending the money to rebuild the cars in 1951, I don't see the Soo selling them off before the end of our period of interest, but I don't have a disposition date. The book states 94 still on the roster in 1961, so some may have escaped into continued service for in-plant moves.  The Soo number series was 63801-64799, (odd).

Dennis Storzek

John Barry

Those are available on Shapeways and I too plan the IM Monon kitbash

John Barry

ATSF North Bay Lines
Golden Gates & Fast Freights
Lovettsville, VA