[Funny names and pronounciationss

Todd Sullivan

There used to be a wonderfully entertaining book called "Oregon Geographic Names."  Not sure if it is still in print.

You can add Riddle, OR to your list, Brian, and Arock and Lone Rock.  I also like Speece, OR on the UP's branch to Shaniko.  Nothing there except space.

In Massachusetts, where I was born, there are lots of pronunciation challenges: Worcester, Gloucester, Billerica, and names that sound like sneezing - Cochituate, Athabaska and Situate.

Todd Sullivan

In Tennessee, Milan is pronounced My-lan. And Lafayette is LaFAYette.

Thanks!
Brian Ehni
(Sent from my iPhone)

On Apr 19, 2021, at 1:01 PM, Todd Sullivan via groups.io <sullivant41@...> wrote:

There used to be a wonderfully entertaining book called "Oregon Geographic Names."  Not sure if it is still in print.

You can add Riddle, OR to your list, Brian, and Arock and Lone Rock.  I also like Speece, OR on the UP's branch to Shaniko.  Nothing there except space.

In Massachusetts, where I was born, there are lots of pronunciation challenges: Worcester, Gloucester, Billerica, and names that sound like sneezing - Cochituate, Athabaska and Situate.

Todd Sullivan

Nelson Moyer

In Louisiana, Lafayette is pronounced LAUGH’ e ette.  Like ‘Laugh it up’ except with a strong ‘e’ and the ette, pronounced like I ain’t ‘ete’ (ate) yet. My sister once lived there.

Nelson Moyer

In Tennessee, Milan is pronounced My-lan. And Lafayette is LaFAYette.

Thanks!

Brian Ehni

(Sent from my iPhone)

On Apr 19, 2021, at 1:01 PM, Todd Sullivan via groups.io <sullivant41@...> wrote:

There used to be a wonderfully entertaining book called "Oregon Geographic Names."  Not sure if it is still in print.

You can add Riddle, OR to your list, Brian, and Arock and Lone Rock.  I also like Speece, OR on the UP's branch to Shaniko.  Nothing there except space.

In Massachusetts, where I was born, there are lots of pronunciation challenges: Worcester, Gloucester, Billerica, and names that sound like sneezing - Cochituate, Athabaska and Situate.

Todd Sullivan

Chris Barkan

If you want funny place names, go to Maine!   Passadumkeag, Macwahoc, Wytopitlock, Skowhegan, and the ever popular, Passagassawakeag! (the latter is actually a river, not a place).

I suppose however, that we should restrict such a conversation to RAILROAD place names, i.e. they appear in timetables, on stations, etc.

Todd, a small correction, it is Scituate, MA :-)

Somewhat more seriously and I suppose more justifiably on-topic, it would be interesting to compile all the place names that are combinations of the railroads at that location.  A central Illinois example is WABIC (Wabash/IC diamond) and and another is Cumbo, WV (Cumberland RR and B&O junction).  I am sure there are others.
--
Chris Barkan
Champaign, IL

Texas has them too

Dime Box (and Old Dime Box)
Cut n Shoot
Concan
Bug Tussle

Thanks!
Brian Ehni
(Sent from my iPhone)

On Apr 19, 2021, at 1:33 PM, Chris Barkan <cplbarkan@...> wrote:

If you want funny place names, go to Maine!   Passadumkeag, Macwahoc, Wytopitlock, Skowhegan, and the ever popular, Passagassawakeag! (the latter is actually a river, not a place).

I suppose however, that we should restrict such a conversation to RAILROAD place names, i.e. they appear in timetables, on stations, etc.

Todd, a small correction, it is Scituate, MA :-)

Somewhat more seriously and I suppose more justifiably on-topic, it would be interesting to compile all the place names that are combinations of the railroads at that location.  A central Illinois example is WABIC (Wabash/IC diamond) and and another is Cumbo, WV (Cumberland RR and B&O junction).  I am sure there are others.
--
Chris Barkan
Champaign, IL

Tony Thompson

Chris Barkan wrote:

Somewhat more seriously and I suppose more justifiably on-topic, it would be interesting to compile all the place names that are combinations of the railroads at that location. A central Illinois example is WABIC (Wabash/IC diamond) and and another is Cumbo, WV (Cumberland RR and B&O junction). I am sure there are others.
Of course, the B&O and Western Maryland near Pittsburgh (Bowest).

Tony Thompson

Steve and Barb Hile

The Milan in Illinois is also My- lan, although I believe that Lafayette is LA-fay-ette

Steve Hile

In Tennessee, Milan is pronounced My-lan. And Lafayette is LaFAYette.

Thanks!

Brian Ehni

(Sent from my iPhone)

On Apr 19, 2021, at 1:01 PM, Todd Sullivan via groups.io <sullivant41@...> wrote:

There used to be a wonderfully entertaining book called "Oregon Geographic Names."  Not sure if it is still in print.

You can add Riddle, OR to your list, Brian, and Arock and Lone Rock.  I also like Speece, OR on the UP's branch to Shaniko.  Nothing there except space.

In Massachusetts, where I was born, there are lots of pronunciation challenges: Worcester, Gloucester, Billerica, and names that sound like sneezing - Cochituate, Athabaska and Situate.

Todd Sullivan

Andy Miller

Kentucky has a town of Versailles which they pronounce Versales. I think they do it just to make the French cringe 😉

Regards,

Andy Millere

Andy Miller wrote:

Kentucky has a town of Versailles which they pronounce Versales. I think they do it just to make the French cringe 😉

Western Pennsylvania has the same town and the same pronunciation. But I doubt it's aimed at the French. In Pittsburgh is the neighborhood of Duquesne, and it's rightly pronounced "doo-KAYNE." Or sort of rightly.

Tony Thompson

Richard Townsend

And in Maine they have Calais, pronounced CAL-is.

Richard Townsend
Lincoln City, OR

Kentucky has a town of Versailles which they pronounce Versales. I think they do it just to make the French cringe 😉

Western Pennsylvania has the same town and the same pronunciation. But I doubt it's aimed at the French. In Pittsburgh is the neighborhood of Duquesne, and it's rightly pronounced "doo-KAYNE." Or sort of rightly.

Tony Thompson

Garth Groff and Sally Sanford

Tod,

Consider Boring, Oregon. It is sister-towned with Dull in Scotland.

Other Borings are in Maryland and Tennessee. Dulls are also found in Ohio and Texas.

Yours Aye,

Garth Groff  🦆

On Mon, Apr 19, 2021 at 2:01 PM Todd Sullivan via groups.io <sullivant41=yahoo.com@groups.io> wrote:
There used to be a wonderfully entertaining book called "Oregon Geographic Names."  Not sure if it is still in print.

You can add Riddle, OR to your list, Brian, and Arock and Lone Rock.  I also like Speece, OR on the UP's branch to Shaniko.  Nothing there except space.

In Massachusetts, where I was born, there are lots of pronunciation challenges: Worcester, Gloucester, Billerica, and names that sound like sneezing - Cochituate, Athabaska and Situate.

Todd Sullivan

al_brown03

And then there's Oconomowoc, Wisconsin (that's oh-CON-o-mo-woc), traversed by STMFCs (mandatory content) on the Milwaukee Road.

Al Brown, Melbourne, Fla.

Bill Keene

There is Tightwad, Missouri … home of Tightwad Bank ... a one-square mile village ten miles+/- east of Clinton, Missouri. While Tightwad was railless, Clinton was served by the Frisco and Katy … Not sure if the bank shipped anything in steam era freight cars.

Also do not forget Peculiar, Missouri … that was served by the Frisco.

Cheers,
Bill Keene
Irvine, CA

Brian Termunde

Todd,
I always thought of Riddle more as a joke! <G>. There's also Drain were there used to be a train show (perhaps it's continued since my departure from Oregon. Another interesting name is the one time capital of Oregon, Champoeg! It just so happened that on one of my trips to Portland and the Gorge, I just was passing the exit for Champoeg when the radio station I was listening to mentioned some about 'Shampooing' and realized it was Champoeg!

Regarding Andy Carlson's message, I certainly hope Mike Brock is ok, it does seem like it's been a while since we've heard from him.

Take Care,

Brian R. Termunde
Midvale, Utah

Re: [Funny names and pronounciationss
From: Todd Sullivan
Date: Mon, 19 Apr 2021 11:01:16 PDT
There used to be a wonderfully entertaining book called "Oregon Geographic Names."  Not sure if it is still in print.

You can add Riddle, OR to your list, Brian, and Arock and Lone Rock.  I also like Speece, OR on the UP's branch to Shaniko.  Nothing there except space.

In Massachusetts, where I was born, there are lots of pronunciation challenges: Worcester, Gloucester, Billerica, and names that sound like sneezing - Cochituate, Athabaska and Situate.

Todd Sullivan

Brian Termunde

Well there is also Truth or Consequences, NM! Not sure if any steam era freight cars went through there or not though.

From: BRIAN PAUL EHNI
Date: Mon, 19 Apr 2021 11:44:31 PDT
Texas has them too

Dime Box (and Old Dime Box)
Cut n Shoot
Concan
Bug Tussle

Thanks!
Brian Ehni

earlyrail

Oconomowoc, the former home of a railroad rolling stock kit maker.

Howard Garner

Steve SANDIFER

I like Toad Suck, Arkansas, now a suburb of Conway.  No rail service today.

J. Stephen Sandifer

Date: Mon, 19 Apr 2021 11:44:31 PDT

Texas has them too

Dime Box (and Old Dime Box)

Cut n Shoot

Concan

Bug Tussle

Thanks!

Brian Ehni

Kenneth Montero

To complement Tightwad, Missouri, there is a very small unincorporated community in Virginia named Tightsqueeze. it is near Chatham, Virginia, which coincidentally is the county seat of the largest (geographically) county in Virginia, Pittsylvania.

Mandatory STMFC content: The first president of the Richmond and Danville Railroad, Whitmell P. Tunstall, was a resident and Virginia legislator from Tightsqueeze.

A different railroad, the Lynchburg and Danville Railroad, was built after the Civil War just west of Tightsqueeze. The Richmond and Danville later gained control of its successor.

How Tightsqueeze got its name and town history: https://www.victorianvilla.com/sims-mitchell/local/tightsq/

Ken Montero

On 04/19/2021 6:30 PM Bill Keene via groups.io <bill41=icloud.com@groups.io> wrote:

There is Tightwad, Missouri … home of Tightwad Bank ... a one-square mile village ten miles+/- east of Clinton, Missouri. While Tightwad was railless, Clinton was served by the Frisco and Katy … Not sure if the bank shipped anything in steam era freight cars.

Also do not forget Peculiar, Missouri … that was served by the Frisco.

Cheers,
Bill Keene
Irvine, CA

Charlie Vlk

All-
I went to eighth grade and graduated from high school at neighboring St. John’s Military Academy.
Every Spring there would be rumors that the “townies” from Oconomowoc were coming to cause trouble because we dated their women.  Well, the “Oconomowoc Rumble” never happened in the five years that I was there.   By the way, nearby Lake Nagawicka and  Nashotah Lake also were names on CM&StP Pullmans.
Charlie Vlk

On Apr 19, 2021, at 7:17 PM, earlyrail <cascaderail@...> wrote:

Oconomowoc, the former home of a railroad rolling stock kit maker.

Howard Garner

Scott H. Haycock

Also, there is Madrid, NM, pronounced MAD rid. It's an old coal mining town that was on the Santa Fe.

Scott Haycock
ent

From:  BRIAN PAUL EHNI
Date: Mon, 19 Apr 2021 11:44:31 PDT