Future Release of HO ART Wood Reefer?

nyc3001 .

In 2019, Bill Welch told me that a wood ART reefer was planned to be released in resin at some point. Does anyone know if this is still the case?

-Phil Lee

Charlie Duckworth

I’d not heard this but an improved resin kit over the old Sunshine release is long overdue.
--
Charlie Duckworth
Omaha, Ne.

Jerry Michels

I think a highly detailed RTR ART wooden reefer in plastic would be  a better seller these days than resin.  I've built a number of resin kits, and love them. But it is kind of hard to get a reefer 'fleet.'  There has never been an accurate plastic RTR ART reefer offered. Jerry Michels

lrkdbn

I would gladly buy a good resin kit. I would NOT buy more Chinese RTR.
Larry King

nyc3001 .

Edited

Jerry, from what I can see, one can model a believable PFE and SFRD fleet with plastic models and kits. But that's pretty much it. Resin offerings had/have much better variety, but as you said, building a believable reefer fleet isn't easy. In fact, depending on where you model, I would say it's impossible unless you scratchbuild or kitbash multiple models.

Take the New York Central's Water Level Route, which I would like to model. Let's use ART as an example. Based on consists for NY-4, NY-8, and other trains that carried large amounts of produce, there would frequently be between ~6 and ~14 ART reefers in a train. So let's split the difference and say 10 ART reefers would be well within in the realm of plausibility for my situation.

Based on fleet statistics, it looks like I would roughly need 6 wood reefers, 2 round-corner DN end horizontal-seam steel car, 1 square-corner DN end horizontal-seam steel car, and one early steel reefer which was quite similar to the R-40-10.

So I would need to build 6 Sunshine wood reefer kits (some of which would need replacement metal roofs; let's say 3-4) and 2 Sunshine round-corner steel cars. The square-corner steel car would be covered by the Intermountain model, and so would the "R-40-10," although it would require reworking some rivets and replacing the door hinges.

And that's just ART, to say nothing of Swift, Armour, Cudahy, the FGEX consortium, Morrell, URTX, etc.

Don't even get me started on MDT. The short version of the MDT problem in HO is that there's no commercially-available M-4 in any form, the 6000 series (the most common MDT composite reefer series at 2000 members) hasn't been available from Sunshine for perhaps two decades, and we need Stan Rydarowicz's end castings very badly to kitbash R-40-23s into MDT steel cars. The result is that, despite the fact that I model the Central, I somehow have over 20 PFE reefers, but only 4 MDT reefers.

-Phil

Tony Thompson

Hey, PFE had the biggest fleet. What’s the problem?
Tony Thompson

On May 27, 2022, at 5:47 PM, nyc3001 . <nyc3001@...> wrote:

Jerry, from what I can see, one can model a believable PFE and SFRD fleet with plastic models and kits. But that's pretty much it. Resin offerings had/have much better variety, but as you said, building a believable reefer fleet isn't easy. In fact, depending on where you model, I would say it's impossible unless you scratchbuild or kitbash multiple models.

Take the Central's Water Level Route, which I would like to model. Let's use ART as an example. Based on consists for NY-4, NY-8, and other trains that carried large amounts of produce, there would frequently be between ~6 and ~14 ART reefers in a train. So let's split the difference and say 10 ART reefers would be well within in the realm of plausibility for my situation.

Based on fleet statistics, it looks like I would roughly need 6 wood reefers, 1 round-corner DN end horizontal-seam steel car, 2 square-corner DN end horizontal-seam steel cars, and one early steel reefer which was quite similar to the R-40-10.

So I would need to build 6 Sunshine wood reefer kits (some of which would need replacement metal roofs; let's say 3-4) and 2 Sunshine square-corner steel cars. The round-corner steel car would be covered by the Intermountain model, and so would the "R-40-10," although it would require reworking some rivets and replacing the door hinges.