Topics

FW&D 7231 Accurail kitbash

Robert kirkham

Thought I'd share a model I completed this morning.  Or thought I had completed - I see a couple of touch ups needed.

This is an Accurail 4300 kit, cut down to better represent the 8'6" IH.  Uses decals from Jerry Hansmith.

Rob

Tony Thompson

Wow! I love the grimy look, Rob. Excellent model.

Tony Thompson

O Fenton Wells

Well done Rob, great "dirt"
Fenton

--
Fenton Wells
250 Frye Rd

Robert kirkham

Thanks Tony.  You know - as soon as I posted the photos, I saw the “3” decal on the car end had floated up after I thought I had it in place.  Missed that before the clear coat and weathering - so quickly fixing it this morning.

Rob

On Nov 14, 2020, at 10:52 AM, Tony Thompson <tony@...> wrote:

Wow! I love the grimy look, Rob. Excellent model.

Tony Thompson

Robert kirkham

Thanks Fenton.   I used some Derwent watercolour pencils (mostly Venetian Red #63 and Terracotta #64) to add back some faded red colour when the paint & other effects had become too much.  Under magnification, I’m not thrilled with the job I did blending it, but at 18” I think it will look good on the rails.

Rob

On Nov 14, 2020, at 10:56 AM, O Fenton Wells <srrfan1401@...> wrote:

Well done Rob, great "dirt"
Fenton

On Sat, Nov 14, 2020 at 1:51 PM Robert kirkham <rdkirkham@...> wrote:
Thought I'd share a model I completed this morning.  Or thought I had completed - I see a couple of touch ups needed.

This is an Accurail 4300 kit, cut down to better represent the 8'6" IH.  Uses decals from Jerry Hansmith.

Rob

--
Fenton Wells
250 Frye Rd
Pinehurst NC 28374
910-420-8106
srrfan1401@...

O Fenton Wells

What I found amazing is when you put these cars on the track the differences are appealing.  You don't want them all the same, at least I don't think one does.

On Sat, Nov 14, 2020 at 2:23 PM Robert kirkham <rdkirkham@...> wrote:
[...]

Clark Propst

Very, very nice. I just brought home one of those to do about the same. Haven’t decided on the CB&Q or MKT.

Thanks for sharing your fine model.

Clark Propst

Sent from Mail for Windows 10

Nelson Moyer

How we hate it when we think we’re through with a model, then take pictures of it only to reveal something undesirable that we overlooked. But without the photos, we wouldn’t know where we messed up. Been there and done that. Despite the minor issues, it’s a very nice car.

Nelson Moyer

Thought I'd share a model I completed this morning.  Or thought I had completed - I see a couple of touch ups needed.

This is an Accurail 4300 kit, cut down to better represent the 8'6" IH.  Uses decals from Jerry Hansmith.

Rob

Robert kirkham

Seeing the work other people do - with those daring close ups - provides something tangible to strive for.  Thanks Nelson.
Rob

On Nov 14, 2020, at 11:49 AM, Nelson Moyer <npmoyer@...> wrote:

How we hate it when we think we’re through with a model, then take pictures of it only to reveal something undesirable that we overlooked. But without the photos, we wouldn’t know where we messed up. Been there and done that. Despite the minor issues, it’s a very nice car.

Nelson Moyer

Thought I'd share a model I completed this morning.  Or thought I had completed - I see a couple of touch ups needed.

This is an Accurail 4300 kit, cut down to better represent the 8'6" IH.  Uses decals from Jerry Hansmith.

Rob

Robert kirkham

Thanks Clark!  I’m doing the Ann Arbor kitbash now.  Relying heavily on Rob Adams' article Modern Double Sheathed and Single Sheathed Box Cars of the Ann Arbor Railroad in Ted Culotta’s Prototype Railroad Modelling v.2.  I started my model with separate pieces for the Hutchins ends, but ended up creating masters for the ends on Shapeways.    Too late for my model, but someone else might be able to use them.  I’m fussing with the end ladders now.  Using Yarmouth YMW-306 8 rung ladders, with 15 3/8” rung spacing, cut down to length.    The end ladders have one L section ladder stile and one strap steel stile, so I sliced one of the etched parts on the fold line, leaving only the strip with the etched holes.  Delicate!  And adding the drop grabs - . . . well, things are still touch and go on that model.

Rob

On Nov 14, 2020, at 11:40 AM, Clark Propst <cepropst@q.com> wrote:

Very, very nice. I just brought home one of those to do about the same. Haven’t decided on the CB&Q or MKT.
Thanks for sharing your fine model.
Clark Propst

Sent from Mail for Windows 10

Lester Breuer

Robert a Fine build with excellent weathering.
Lester Breuer

Craig Wilson

Looking forward to seeing this one.  Did you get the Shapeways parts for the complete ends yet?  If so, what is your opinion of them?
Craig Wilson