FW & D Covered Hopper - Too Much Information

WILLIAM PARDIE

I always caution servers at a restaurant "When you have older customers don't give them too many options.  You will be here till tomorrow.".    And now "Here I Am!".

After numerous posts on the Amarillo Railroad Museum FW&D covered hoppers can somebody tell me on the AMRM model:

1)  Is the Rred roof color correct?

2)  Is the roof in the model correct?

Thanks ( I hope!):

Bill Pardie

Sent from my Verizon, Samsung Galaxy smartphone

gary laakso

1. No, it was delivered coated with black car cement see the prior referenced article by Ed Hawkins in RPC 30.

1. Yes, it was delivered with Murphy flat panel roofs, see the picture of the roof in RPC 30.   That roof is different than CB&Q flat welded roofs pictured in RPC 30. 

Research does not involve “options” when the data has been referenced. 

Gary Laakso

Northwest of Mike Brock

From: main@RealSTMFC.groups.io <main@RealSTMFC.groups.io> On Behalf Of WILLIAM PARDIE
Sent: Wednesday, July 20, 2022 5:10 PM
To: main@RealSTMFC.groups.io
Subject: [RealSTMFC] FW & D Covered Hopper - Too Much Information

I always caution servers at a restaurant "When you have older customers don't give them too many options.  You will be here till tomorrow.".    And now "Here I Am!".

After numerous posts on the Amarillo Railroad Museum FW&D covered hoppers can somebody tell me on the AMRM model:

1)  Is the Rred roof color correct?

2)  Is the roof in the model correct?

Thanks ( I hope!):

Bill Pardie

Sent from my Verizon, Samsung Galaxy smartphone

Charlie Duckworth

The roof was easy to pop off.  I started brush paint with Vallejo black but decided to ask. Should the roof hatches etc all just be airbrushed black?  And here’s the underside I just ‘just’ paint the bottom of the hoppers and outlet gates black are it there more?

--
Charlie Duckworth 
Omaha, Ne.

gary laakso

Charlie, I plan to paint the roof and all of its components black and as you noted, just the bottom of the hoppers below the outside brace around them and the outlet gates.  Those conform to both the Ed Hawkins description and the pictures.

Gary “ready to paint” Laakso

Northwest of Mike Brock

From: main@RealSTMFC.groups.io <main@RealSTMFC.groups.io> On Behalf Of Charlie Duckworth via groups.io
Sent: Thursday, July 21, 2022 7:55 AM
To: main@RealSTMFC.groups.io
Subject: Re: [RealSTMFC] FW & D Covered Hopper - Too Much Information

The roof was easy to pop off.  I started brush paint with Vallejo black but decided to ask. Should the roof hatches etc all just be airbrushed black?  And here’s the underside I just ‘just’ paint the bottom of the hoppers and outlet gates black are it there more?

--
Charlie Duckworth 
Omaha, Ne.

Jim Betz

Charlie,

Looks like it will be a great car when done.

FWIW - when applying paint that is to represent "roof cement" I apply it with
a brush and move the brush in ways that simulate the way that roof cement
is applied on the prototype (using a mop instead of a brush, roller, or sprayed).
  I don't like to get it too noticeable but I don't want it to be smooth nor linear.
One way I get this effect is to 'push' the brush instead of the normal brush
strokes.  And also using side to side motions as well.  I like to think of the
way that the janitors in my grade school mopped the floor. 

- Jim in the PNW