Topics

Fw: [RealSTMFC] Santa Fe Freight Near Victorville - Mystery Loads

Claus Schlund \(HGM\)

Hi Andy and List Members,

Andy wrote: "Details aren't clear enough to tell what kind of loads these are, but there's 2 per car"

It is true the details are not clear enough, but to my eyes it looks like there are eight per car, arranged 4 long by 2 wide. each of the eight load items appears to have the wood secured with two dark black bands

Enjoy!

Claus Schlund

----- Original Message -----
Sent: Thursday, February 20, 2020 10:34 PM
Subject: Re: [RealSTMFC] Santa Fe Freight Near Victorville - Mystery Loads

Here's an enlargement of 2 of the mystery load cars. Details aren't clear enough to tell what kind of loads these are, but there's 2 per car.
Andy Jackson
Santa Fe Springs CA

Charles Peck

I seem to remember seeing a similar picture years ago. It was undersea
telegraph or telephone cable.  It was wound spool to spool to spool and
continued across from car to car in one long continuous length.
Uncoupling levers had been removed, as I recall.
Chuck Peck

On Fri, Feb 21, 2020 at 12:53 PM Claus Schlund &#92;(HGM&#92;) <claus@...> wrote:
Hi Andy and List Members,

Andy wrote: "Details aren't clear enough to tell what kind of loads these are, but there's 2 per car"

It is true the details are not clear enough, but to my eyes it looks like there are eight per car, arranged 4 long by 2 wide. each of the eight load items appears to have the wood secured with two dark black bands

Enjoy!

Claus Schlund

----- Original Message -----
Sent: Thursday, February 20, 2020 10:34 PM
Subject: Re: [RealSTMFC] Santa Fe Freight Near Victorville - Mystery Loads

Here's an enlargement of 2 of the mystery load cars. Details aren't clear enough to tell what kind of loads these are, but there's 2 per car.
Andy Jackson
Santa Fe Springs CA

Steve Salotti

Hi Chuck,
I believe the load you are remembering was a cable load made by the Okonite Company in Paterson New Jersey for a cable line on the west coast.  The train was 13 Erie gons, and safety chains were welded between all of the cars.  As you said, it wound in tight circles in each car and then continuously into the next. I remember  it since Okonite was on the NYS&W and I model that plant on my layout (but not that train).
Steve Salotti

Bruce A. Metcalf

On 2/21/20 7:53 AM, Claus Schlund &#92;(HGM&#92;) wrote:

Aha! Now I know what these look like. I think they are bundles of untreated ties ready to be put into the creosote retorts.

I lived in Chattanooga when they still had a creosoting plant. Ties, line poles, and what not were bundled so they would nearly fill the cylindrical tanks. Any number of them would be rolled in on wee four-wheel carts, the end cap bolted on, and the creosote pumped in and out using pressure and vacuum. Stinky, but effective.

That's my story and I'm sticking with it!

Cheers,
/ Bruce /