Topics

GA box car colors

Clark Propst
 

I'm building a Speedwitch Georgia box car...again. I painted the last one in silver and black (Have a son-in-law that's a Raiders fan ; )which I've sold long ago. I'm thinking of doing this one in bcr because I have a Speedwitch Katy car I'm going to do in yellow and am not sure two bright cars are too many? Ted doesn't give dates for the two color schemes. This has probably been hashed over before, but I'm interested now  ;  )))
Thanks for any guidance on the subject,
CW Propst

Bill Welch
 

I think the schemes were simultaneous. Most of the silver & black cars had butt welded hip roof, most BCR had Radial roof as modeled by the Speedwitch kit.

Bill Welch

Clark Propst
 

Bill, I checked the photos in the instructions and the few I have on my computer and it does appear the silver cars had the flat roofs. Thanks.

I'll keep my eyes open at upcoming train shows for a Tichy kit similar to Ted's. If I find one I may try my hand at replacing the roof with a flat one. Now, if I could get more data on those rebuilds with the straight side posts....

CW Propst

Garth Groff and Sally Sanford
 

Clark and Friends,

John Henderson's CLASSIC FREIGHT CARS, v.1, has two photos of GA boxcars on page 39. GA 29399 from series 29300-29449 is a total rebuild of a 1924 car with steel sides, outside vertical ribs and no diagonals. It appears to be dark gray with black ends, black doors, and possibly a black roof. The roof is definitely peaked. This is not the prototype for the Tichy car, but interesting. This photo is dated to 1959.

On the same page is GA 19682 from series 19500-19799, and appears to be a steel-sided rebuilt of a USRA car, retaining the original bracing pattern. This car is BCR and definitely has a peaked roof. This photo is dated to 1956.

In Henry Maywald's CLASSIC FREIGHT CARS, v.7, on page 27 there is another GA car, 19755 from series 19500-19799. This car is sort of silver/aluminum colored, but so grimy it is hard to read the black lettering, and I can't see what color the ends and roofs are. This car has roof hatches (probably four) which are very flat and also hard to see, and is marked "RETURN EMPTY / GA.R.R. ATHENS / FERTILIZER LOADING in white to the left of the door. I cannot see for certain whether the roof is peaked or radial, but it looks slightly curved. This photo is dated 1966, and could be a rebuild from beyond our period of interest, but shows that cars in this block could be very different.

I hope this is of use to you, and doesn't muddy the waters even more.

Yours Aye,

Garth Groff  🦆


On Tue, Feb 11, 2020 at 1:51 PM Clark Propst <cepropst@q.com> wrote:
I'm building a Speedwitch Georgia box car...again. I painted the last one in silver and black (Have a son-in-law that's a Raiders fan ; )which I've sold long ago. I'm thinking of doing this one in bcr because I have a Speedwitch Katy car I'm going to do in yellow and am not sure two bright cars are too many? Ted doesn't give dates for the two color schemes. This has probably been hashed over before, but I'm interested now  ;  )))
Thanks for any guidance on the subject,
CW Propst

Paul Doggett
 

What type of roof is on this car it’s not a great photo 


Paul Doggett.   England 🏴󠁧󠁢󠁥󠁮󠁧󠁿 

On 12 Feb 2020, at 10:20, Garth Groff and Sally Sanford <mallardlodge1000@...> wrote:


Clark and Friends,

John Henderson's CLASSIC FREIGHT CARS, v.1, has two photos of GA boxcars on page 39. GA 29399 from series 29300-29449 is a total rebuild of a 1924 car with steel sides, outside vertical ribs and no diagonals. It appears to be dark gray with black ends, black doors, and possibly a black roof. The roof is definitely peaked. This is not the prototype for the Tichy car, but interesting. This photo is dated to 1959.

On the same page is GA 19682 from series 19500-19799, and appears to be a steel-sided rebuilt of a USRA car, retaining the original bracing pattern. This car is BCR and definitely has a peaked roof. This photo is dated to 1956.

In Henry Maywald's CLASSIC FREIGHT CARS, v.7, on page 27 there is another GA car, 19755 from series 19500-19799. This car is sort of silver/aluminum colored, but so grimy it is hard to read the black lettering, and I can't see what color the ends and roofs are. This car has roof hatches (probably four) which are very flat and also hard to see, and is marked "RETURN EMPTY / GA.R.R. ATHENS / FERTILIZER LOADING in white to the left of the door. I cannot see for certain whether the roof is peaked or radial, but it looks slightly curved. This photo is dated 1966, and could be a rebuild from beyond our period of interest, but shows that cars in this block could be very different.

I hope this is of use to you, and doesn't muddy the waters even more.

Yours Aye,

Garth Groff  🦆


On Tue, Feb 11, 2020 at 1:51 PM Clark Propst <cepropst@q.com> wrote:
I'm building a Speedwitch Georgia box car...again. I painted the last one in silver and black (Have a son-in-law that's a Raiders fan ; )which I've sold long ago. I'm thinking of doing this one in bcr because I have a Speedwitch Katy car I'm going to do in yellow and am not sure two bright cars are too many? Ted doesn't give dates for the two color schemes. This has probably been hashed over before, but I'm interested now  ;  )))
Thanks for any guidance on the subject,
CW Propst

Bill Welch
 

I beleve that is the Radial roof version in what is for that roof the Ultra rare Aluminum or silver scheme.

Bill Welch

Bill Welch
 

On Tue, Feb 11, 2020 at 11:36 PM, Clark Propst wrote:

I'll keep my eyes open at upcoming train shows for a Tichy kit similar to Ted's. If I find one I may try my hand at replacing the roof with a flat one. Now, if I could get more data on those rebuilds with the straight side posts....

CW Propst

Clark, you need to search the archives either here or on the Styrene list as I have posted photos of how I did the roof: Remove the roof ribs; sand w/250, 400, and 600 grit; apply Future/Pledge whatever they call it now; apply the narrowest Archer Aircraft Panel Line decals to mimic the butt welded seams; and paint. Easy peasy.

Bill Welch

Paul Doggett
 

Bill 

Thank you I have one to build and it may well just be 19713 as it looks a two tone grey SP car behind it.

Paul Doggett.    England 🏴󠁧󠁢󠁥󠁮󠁧󠁿 


On 12 Feb 2020, at 16:44, Bill Welch <fgexbill@...> wrote:

I beleve that is the Radial roof version in what is for that roof the Ultra rare Aluminum or silver scheme.

Bill Welch

Bill Welch
 

You are welcome Paul. There is an oversight with the Speedwitch decals for these cars as the "XM" is missing. I used one from the Microscale Roman Data.

Bill Welch

Paul Doggett
 

Bill
Thank you for that tip, I have the microscale black Roman lettering.
Paul Doggett 


On 12 Feb 2020, at 18:30, Bill Welch <fgexbill@...> wrote:

You are welcome Paul. There is an oversight with the Speedwitch decals for these cars as the "XM" is missing. I used one from the Microscale Roman Data.

Bill Welch

George Courtney
 

Where any of the butt welded cars know to be painted BCR?

George Courtney

Bill Welch
 

On Fri, Feb 14, 2020 at 06:41 PM, George Courtney wrote:
Where any of the butt welded cars know to be painted BCR?

George Courtney
I do not remember if any of the cars w/welded roofs were painted BCR, I need to look at the photos I have.

Bill Welch