Topics

locked Getting paid on Ebay

Peter Hall

New subject, but since a lot of transactions for steam era freight cars are made on ebay, probably by all of us, this might be important:

Ebay announced today that they are going to change the pay process - now, payments will go directly to your bank, not to your PayPal account: no more PayPal processing fees.  That sounded good until I read further - ebay wants your bank account information.

In light of recent events, does that concern anyone?

Thanks
Pete

On Jan 15, 2021, at 3:00 PM, brianleppert@... wrote:

The flat car is clearly stenciled above the left hand truck "CAPY  140000", making it a 70 ton capacity car..  So it can't be a F-50-12 class flat car, can it?

Brian Leppert
Carson City, NV

Pierre Oliver

How about a great big no way Ebay?

Pierre Oliver
www.elgincarshops.com
www.yarmouthmodelworks.com
On 1/15/21 4:35 p.m., Peter Hall wrote:

New subject, but since a lot of transactions for steam era freight cars are made on ebay, probably by all of us, this might be important:

Ebay announced today that they are going to change the pay process - now, payments will go directly to your bank, not to your PayPal account: no more PayPal processing fees.  That sounded good until I read further - ebay wants your bank account information.

In light of recent events, does that concern anyone?

Thanks
Pete

On Jan 15, 2021, at 3:00 PM, brianleppert@... wrote:

The flat car is clearly stenciled above the left hand truck "CAPY  140000", making it a 70 ton capacity car..  So it can't be a F-50-12 class flat car, can it?

Brian Leppert
Carson City, NV

Kenneth Montero

Remedy, in part:

Set up a separate bank account that you use only for Ebay transactions.

On 01/15/2021 4:35 PM Peter Hall <petehall6369@...> wrote:

New subject, but since a lot of transactions for steam era freight cars are made on ebay, probably by all of us, this might be important:

Ebay announced today that they are going to change the pay process - now, payments will go directly to your bank, not to your PayPal account: no more PayPal processing fees.  That sounded good until I read further - ebay wants your bank account information.

In light of recent events, does that concern anyone?

Thanks
Pete

On Jan 15, 2021, at 3:00 PM, brianleppert@... wrote:

The flat car is clearly stenciled above the left hand truck "CAPY  140000", making it a 70 ton capacity car..  So it can't be a F-50-12 class flat car, can it?

Brian Leppert
Carson City, NV

Kenneth Montero

I forgot to sign the response.

Ken Montero

On 01/15/2021 4:56 PM Kenneth Montero <va661midlo@...> wrote:

[...]

Brian Shumaker

Having just dumped a batch of unneeded locos on EBay and having to suffer 10% in fees plus the PayPal fees I’m just about done selling on the platform. For EBay to default to PayPal for purchases, it seems strange to bypass them on payments. I’m going to start looking for another auction site. Ebid? Worthpoint? Anyone with some insight on the others?
Brian Shumaker

James Brewer

I have bought and sold a few things here:  https://groups.io/g/HOswap

No fees, etc., but you are on your own as far as any problems, etc.  I  have not had any problems with anything I purchased or any sales that I have made.

Jim Brewer

Charles Happel

In the worst case, I am looking at having it deposited to a debit card account, such as Kroger.

Chuck Happel

A man who views the world the same at fifty as he did at twenty has wasted thirty years of his life.

Muhammad Ali

On Friday, January 15, 2021, 05:09:20 PM EST, Brian Shumaker <brian.shumaker@...> wrote:

Having just dumped a batch of unneeded locos on EBay and having to suffer 10% in fees plus the PayPal fees I’m just about done selling on the platform. For EBay to default to PayPal for purchases, it seems strange to bypass them on payments. I’m going to start looking for another auction site. Ebid? Worthpoint? Anyone with some insight on the others?
Brian Shumaker

Richard Townsend

Are you sure this isn't a scam for getting your bank account information? I've heard nothing like what you said from ebay.

Richard Townsend
Lincoln City, OR

[...]

mel perry

pete:
use plastic, there's a seperate entry
;-)

On Fri, Jan 15, 2021, 1:36 PM Peter Hall <petehall6369@...> wrote:
New subject, but since a lot of transactions for steam era freight cars are made on ebay, probably by all of us, this might be important:

Ebay announced today that they are going to change the pay process - now, payments will go directly to your bank, not to your PayPal account: no more PayPal processing fees.  That sounded good until I read further - ebay wants your bank account information.

In light of recent events, does that concern anyone?

Thanks
Pete

On Jan 15, 2021, at 3:00 PM, brianleppert@... wrote:

The flat car is clearly stenciled above the left hand truck "CAPY  140000", making it a 70 ton capacity car..  So it can't be a F-50-12 class flat car, can it?

Brian Leppert
Carson City, NV

RICH CHAPIN

Just read the referenced article and saw nothing about giving eBay a credit card number; also, it applies to “managed payments”. I did not receive the eBay “notice” that caused this thread, but I see that as s scam.

Rich Chapin

Jack Burgess

This only applies to sellers. Note that PayPal is owned by eBay so no changes for buyers.

Jack Burgess