From: main@RealSTMFC.groups.io <main@RealSTMFC.groups.io> On Behalf Of gtws00 via groups.io
Sent: Tuesday, November 23, 2021 9:59 AM
To: main@RealSTMFC.groups.io
Subject: [RealSTMFC] GM&O 35200 Series Automobile Car

I finally got around to completing the build of a GM&O 35200 series Auto Car. The starting point was a HO Scale Speedwitch Kit that included a Branchline Body and resin ends, doors, parts and decals.
I was fortunate to have picked this kit up from Ed Hawkins who also help me obtain General Arrangement and Brake Arrangement Drawings from the National Museum of Transportation in St Louis. After looking the drawings over
I decided to scratchbuild a new accurate underframe. Along the way many items were scratched or modified for this car to better match the general arrangement drawings. An item that stalled my build were the somewhat unique10 rung ladders. Friend Jim King of Smoky Mountain Model Works came to the rescue and designed and printed ladders from the General Arrangement Drawings using an SLA 3D printer. The Side and end grabs and Equipco Brake Housing is also 3d printed by Jim. Attached are a couple of photos of the build showing the underframe, sides, ends and a couple of the finished car still to be weathered. Note that the underframe side sill is built up of two C Channels as per the drawings and the crossties nest in the c-channel.  A note on the end ladders is that the right-hand stile is a flat piece of steel and not L-shaped as the other side. The flat piece has bends in it that allow for it to be attached to the ends. Look closely and you can see this captured as per the prototype. Car was finished with Vallejo Acrylic Paint and given a coat of Pledge/Future Floor Care before the decals were applied and then a final coat of Model Masters Flat was applied.
A fun project using old and new materials and methods to construct
George Toman

Paul Doggett

Geogre
A fine build
Paul Doggett

On 23 Nov 2021, at 16:37, Nelson Moyer <npmoyer@...> wrote:

George, there’s no question about you setting the bar for craftsmanship. You’ve produced another outstanding model that would be completely at home is a museum. Your work is a benchmark for all of us.

Nelson Moyer

[...]

O Fenton Wells

Nelson hit the nail on the head, your work is outstanding.  Excellent
Thanks for sharing
Fenton

--
Fenton Wells
250 Frye Rd

Scott H. Haycock

Hi George,

This is an incredible model! I don't know whether to be intimidated, awestruck, or both. Inspired, at the very least.

I'd like to know about the corner braces, and especially the crossbearers. Were they included in the kit or did you make them? I'm working on a variety of the PS-1 underframe and need some similar items for my project.

Again, an amazing build!

Scott Haycock
ent

George Toman wrote:

I finally got around to completing the build of a GM&O 35200 series Auto Car. The starting point was a HO Scale Speedwitch Kit that included a Branchline Body and resin ends, doors, parts and decals.....

gtws00

Hi Scott, the corner braces and rest of the underframe are all scratch from styrene. For the corner braces, I made a scale copy off the general arrangement drawing and cut the braces from the paper. Next I glued them to some stryene with some Stick Glue as used for paper and crafts. It sticks well enough to hold and cut and is easily cleaned off. I then cut the braces out and then glued the flanges to the sides. I used mostly Archer rivets for the underframe to save some time. Attached are a couple of in progress photos
George Toman

gtws00

Thanks for all the kind comments on my GM&O Autocar
A fun project trying new materials and methods
George Toman

Clark Propst

George, You're an animal!  ;  ))

Clark Propst

James Brewer

George,

Amazing and beautiful work....and what Clark said!!

Jim Brewer

Jay Styron

Gobsmacked! What an inspiration…thanks.
Jay Styron

Bill McClure

George,

I am not worthy, I am not worthy, I am....

Bill

PS: Stunning model!