GM&O GSC 53' 6" Flat Car Build, Bloomington Shops 1951

Matt Smith

David

On the one hand, it seems appropriate that the castings were delivered on a PRR F30a. On the other hand, those were a few feet shorter than the standard GSC flat, so these photos actually show the 42'6" cast flats in GM&O series 70500-70749.

David Thompson

Jason P

I can't remember if it was these flatcars or the GSC pulpwood racks that GM&O bought but at least one of them (maybe both?) were assembled after delivery using salvaged trucks, brake components, and such from retired freight cars.

In either case, the cars did arrive to the GM&O's shop facilities in "kit form" as seen in the photos.

-Jason P.

On 10/19/2021 8:37 PM David via groups.io <jaydeet2001=yahoo.com@groups.io> wrote:

On the one hand, it seems appropriate that the castings were delivered
on a PRR F30a. On the other hand, those were a few feet shorter than the
standard GSC flat, so these photos actually show the 42'6" cast flats in
GM&O series 70500-70749.

David Thompson

mopacfirst

Aha, now I understand why parts of this thread didn't make sense.  The header of this thread, and the D202 decal, both show 53'-6".  Now, being a Kansas modeler, I could have expected loads to come in on GM&O flatcars occasionally, so I could use a model of either one of these flatcars, but not a pulpwood car.

I have a couple of the Walthers flats stashed away, and I'd be happy to build one of the longer flats now that I know there's a decal that's right.  It doesn't take long on that model to remove the molded-on grabs and steps and replace them.  As far as I know, all the models I built ten+ years ago still have their decks adherent and flat, which I can't say for the P2K Pullman flats.

Ron Merrick

Ray Hutchison

The photos show a wonderful modeling opportunity, with the flatcar decks being assembled on the two tracks, perhaps add frames on the side, or flatcar with the frames aon the track waiting for assembly.

Only problem: where to purchase a dozen or half of the frames?

Ray Hutchison

Kenneth Montero

The Tichy kit for this car (no.1000) has a separate frame, but does not have as a separate part the portion of the frame that is level with the deck. I believe that the Walthers kit for this car did so, but I don't know if the Walthers kit is still available from Walthers, but that kit should show up on Ebay and other reseller sites.

I am asking others of this group to confirm my recollection of the Walthers kit, as I did not purchase one.

Ken Montero

On 10/21/2021 7:31 AM Ray Hutchison <rayhutchison2@...> wrote:

The photos show a wonderful modeling opportunity, with the flatcar decks being assembled on the two tracks, perhaps add frames on the side, or flatcar with the frames aon the track waiting for assembly.

Only problem: where to purchase a dozen or half of the frames?

Ray Hutchison

mopacfirst

You are correct about the configuration of the kit.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/353732688322?epid=1227812656&hash=item525c1c79c2:g:l8AAAOSwXlNhUm3N

Or you can search in eBay for 'Walthers GSC flatcar'.  Some old kits show up, but W must have reissued this product as "assembled".

https://www.ebay.com/itm/174975452947?hash=item28bd598713:g:C-cAAOSwiVRhX9in

But if you want the cast GSC frame only, you can buy any kit and throw out all the other parts.

Ron Merrick