Topics

GN 50' SS boxcar

Richard Remiarz

After spending most of my time the last couple of years building structures, adding scenery, and weathering/upgrading some RTR freight cars, I have finally had some time to start building resin kits again.  Now that I have retired I can start working on what Jerry Dziedzic refers to as my wall of shame, the shelves under the layout storing 200+ unbuilt resin kits.

Today I finished the weathering on GN 42960, a Westerfield GN SS double-door boxcar with an end door.  Unlike most GN double door SS 50' boxcars. this series of cars were not rebuilt with a narrow door and kept their wooden doors (and end door).

Next up are Speedwitch kits for an NP 50' SS boxcar and Soo Line 40' SS boxcar.

Sincerely,
Rich Remiarz
Vadnais Heights, MN

O Fenton Wells

Well done Rich, finish looks good
Fenton

--
Fenton Wells
250 Frye Rd

vapeurchapelon

Just beautiful!

Regards

Johannes
modeling the early post-war years up to about 1953

Gesendet: Freitag, 14. Februar 2020 um 21:18 Uhr
Von: "Richard Remiarz" <rremiarz@...>
An: "main@RealSTMFC.groups.io" <main@RealSTMFC.groups.io>, "ResinFreightCarBuilders@groups.io" <ResinFreightCarBuilders@groups.io>
Betreff: [RealSTMFC] GN 50' SS boxcar
After spending most of my time the last couple of years building structures, adding scenery, and weathering/upgrading some RTR freight cars, I have finally had some time to start building resin kits again.  Now that I have retired I can start working on what Jerry Dziedzic refers to as my wall of shame, the shelves under the layout storing 200+ unbuilt resin kits.

Today I finished the weathering on GN 42960, a Westerfield GN SS double-door boxcar with an end door.  Unlike most GN double door SS 50' boxcars. this series of cars were not rebuilt with a narrow door and kept their wooden doors (and end door).

Next up are Speedwitch kits for an NP 50' SS boxcar and Soo Line 40' SS boxcar.

Sincerely,
Rich Remiarz
Vadnais Heights, MN

Paul Doggett

Rich

That’s. Great looking looking build.

Paul

On 14 Feb 2020, at 20:18, Richard Remiarz <rremiarz@...> wrote:

After spending most of my time the last couple of years building structures, adding scenery, and weathering/upgrading some RTR freight cars, I have finally had some time to start building resin kits again.  Now that I have retired I can start working on what Jerry Dziedzic refers to as my wall of shame, the shelves under the layout storing 200+ unbuilt resin kits.

Today I finished the weathering on GN 42960, a Westerfield GN SS double-door boxcar with an end door.  Unlike most GN double door SS 50' boxcars. this series of cars were not rebuilt with a narrow door and kept their wooden doors (and end door).

Next up are Speedwitch kits for an NP 50' SS boxcar and Soo Line 40' SS boxcar.

Sincerely,
Rich Remiarz
Vadnais Heights, MN

Attachments:

gtws00

Nicely done Rich!
What brand and color paint did you use?
Thanks for posting
George Toman

Bill Welch

Great start on your stash Rich. I built the single 6-foot door version but had forgotten this version. Very well executed model

Bill Welch

BRIAN PAUL EHNI

Very nice!

Thanks!
--

Brian Ehni

From: <main@RealSTMFC.groups.io> on behalf of Richard Remiarz <rremiarz@...>
Date: Friday, February 14, 2020 at 2:18 PM
To: "main@RealSTMFC.groups.io" <main@RealSTMFC.groups.io>, "ResinFreightCarBuilders@groups.io" <ResinFreightCarBuilders@groups.io>
Subject: [RealSTMFC] GN 50' SS boxcar

After spending most of my time the last couple of years building structures, adding scenery, and weathering/upgrading some RTR freight cars, I have finally had some time to start building resin kits again.  Now that I have retired I can start working on what Jerry Dziedzic refers to as my wall of shame, the shelves under the layout storing 200+ unbuilt resin kits.

Today I finished the weathering on GN 42960, a Westerfield GN SS double-door boxcar with an end door.  Unlike most GN double door SS 50' boxcars. this series of cars were not rebuilt with a narrow door and kept their wooden doors (and end door).

Next up are Speedwitch kits for an NP 50' SS boxcar and Soo Line 40' SS boxcar.

Sincerely,

Rich Remiarz

Vadnais Heights, MN

Richard Remiarz

Thanks Bill.  My first resin build many many years ago was a single door version.  It was the original Westerfield hard, brittle resin castings.  I had to glue some of the parts back together when they shattered.  After assembling that, everything else seems easy.  I was reminded how brittle the original kits were a few years ago when someone dropped that car on the floor.  Once again, I had to glue some of the castings back together.  The car is still running on the layout.

Rich Temiarz

On Feb 14, 2020, at 3:25 PM, Bill Welch <fgexbill@...> wrote:

Great start on your stash Rich. I built the single 6-foot door version but had forgotten this version. Very well executed model.

_._,_._,_

Richard Remiarz

George,

I used Tru Color TCP 214 GN freight car red over a primer coat of Tamaya Fine Surface Primer.  The Tru Color paint holds much better with a primer on resin.  I had problems with paint coming off when I tried using Tru Color directly on resin.

Sincerely,
Rich Remiarz

On Feb 14, 2020, at 3:09 PM, gtws00 via Groups.Io <gtws00@...> wrote:

Nicely done Rich!
What brand and color paint did you use?
Thanks for posting
George Toman

Lester Breuer

Fine build Rich.   Hope to see it among the models you bring for display at the Modelers Retreat.

Lester Breuer

James E Kubanick

Rich,

I. too, would like to express my appreciation for your fine work on this car. I do like those single sheathed cars.

Jim Kubanick
Morgantown WV

On Friday, February 14, 2020, 6:41:32 PM EST, Lester Breuer <rforailroad@...> wrote:

Fine build Rich.   Hope to see it among the models you bring for display at the Modelers Retreat.

Lester Breuer

Larry Buell

Really nice work.