Topics

GRAB IRONS

WILLIAM PARDIE

Oops! Sorry! That was supposed to be a freight car photo. Well, I guess that we need something to haul those cars around.

Bill Pardie

Todd Sullivan

Yes, it probably should have been a freight car, but that certainly is a fine looking locomotive.  I especially like the weathering.

Todd Sullivan

Allen Cain

Tichy also offers grab irons and are very affordable.  Both Tangent and Tichy use Phosphor Bronze wire.  Does anyone use a material that is stronger such as stainless steel?

Allen Cain

Allen Cain

FYI Atlas still has wire grab irons listed on their website:

Scroll down and you will see them.

Allen Cain

Dave Parker

I believe Bill was asking specifically for scale (0.008") grabs, for which BLMA/Atlas and Tangent fill the bill.  Tichy does not.

I have bent some SS grabs out of guitar strings, but I don't think there have been any commercial offerings, at least recently.
--
Dave Parker
Swall Meadows, CA

WILLIAM PARDIE

The initial .008 grabs from BLMA were stainless steel.  Later I believe they used phosper bronze..The ones that I just received from Atlas seem to be brass.  I have not tested them.

Bill Pardie