mel perry

same series of cars
mel perry

On Thu, Feb 27, 2020, 10:46 AM Bob Chaparro via Groups.Io <chiefbobbb=verizon.net@groups.io> wrote:

Grab Irons Extensions

This boxcar appears to have extension mounts for the grab irons:

https://www.flickr.com/photos/28555987@N06/8253849334/in/album-72157632195829152/

And a few more:

https://www.flickr.com/photos/28555987@N06/8252776823/in/album-72157632195829152/

https://www.flickr.com/photos/28555987@N06/8252777001/in/album-72157632195829152/

https://www.flickr.com/photos/28555987@N06/8253849866/in/album-72157632195829152/

There must be a good reason for this...so what is the reason?

Bob Chaparro

Hemet, CA

Todd Sullivan

Because the left-opening door would contact (smush) the grabs if they were mounted completely on the car side.

Todd Sullivan.

mel perry

step looks shorter and closer to the end
of the side sill, thus putiing the hand grap
in a differen position than normal, why
the different position of the step?
mel perry

On Thu, Feb 27, 2020, 10:46 AM Bob Chaparro via Groups.Io <chiefbobbb=verizon.net@groups.io> wrote:

Grab Irons Extensions

This boxcar appears to have extension mounts for the grab irons:

https://www.flickr.com/photos/28555987@N06/8253849334/in/album-72157632195829152/

And a few more:

https://www.flickr.com/photos/28555987@N06/8252776823/in/album-72157632195829152/

https://www.flickr.com/photos/28555987@N06/8252777001/in/album-72157632195829152/

https://www.flickr.com/photos/28555987@N06/8253849866/in/album-72157632195829152/

There must be a good reason for this...so what is the reason?

Bob Chaparro

Hemet, CA

Dennis Storzek

On Thu, Feb 27, 2020 at 10:46 AM, Bob Chaparro wrote:

There must be a good reason for this...so what is the reason?

Bob Chaparro

That big plug door has to go somewhere when it's open. Just below the right end of the lower grab you'll find the door stop.

Dennis Storzek

Tim O'Connor

Here are a couple of clear views of these unusual NP grabiron mounts.

I also include a shot of a commonly seen end grab with two different brackets.

--
*Tim O'Connor*
*Sterling, Massachusetts*

hubert mask

Now that is the kind of photos I need to complete Decals.

Hubert Mask
MAsk Island Decals

On Feb 27, 2020, at 5:02 PM, Tim O'Connor <@timboconnor> wrote:

Here are a couple of clear views of these unusual NP grabiron mounts.

I also include a shot of a commonly seen end grab with two different brackets.

On 2/27/2020 2:01 PM, Todd Sullivan via Groups.Io wrote:
Because the left-opening door would contact (smush) the grabs if they were mounted completely on the car side.

Todd Sullivan

--
*Tim O'Connor*
*Sterling, Massachusetts*

<np_3309 40ft_CD_box PS1-1960 lside-A-end-view builder 1-1960.jpg>
<np_3309 40ft_CD_box PS1-1960 rside-A-end-overhead-view builder 1-1960.jpg>

Ralph W. Brown

Hi Tim,

Wow! Just plain "clear" doesn't begin to describe those photos, and with both sides, both ends and the roof as well.

The cars are well beyond my era, but thanks anyway for sharing those gems.

Pax,

Ralph Brown
Portland, Maine
PRRT&HS No. 3966
NMRA No. L2532

rbrown51[at]maine[dot]rr[dot]com

Here are a couple of clear views of these unusual NP grabiron mounts.

I also include a shot of a commonly seen end grab with two different
brackets.

On 2/27/2020 2:01 PM, Todd Sullivan via Groups.Io wrote:
Because the left-opening door would contact (smush) the grabs if they
were mounted completely on the car side.

Todd Sullivan

--
*Tim O'Connor*
*Sterling, Massachusetts*

leakinmywaders

Modelers should be advised, not all the NP 40 ft combination door boxcars with this car side arrangement had the PS-1 ends that appear in Tim's photos of NP 3309.  NP 3000-3399 were Pullman-Standard built in 1959-60 with the PS-1 ends.  Among numerous cars with virtually identical sides built by NP Brainerd shops in 1958 through 1960 in range 8000-9249 or so, most had what I believe are commonly referred to as R+3/4 improved dreadnaught ends. But not all. I don't have it in hand just now, but I recall there was a thread at the NPModelers group several years ago where some of us tried to sort out what the approximate break point in the number series when Brainerd made the end change.

Those offset grabs are yet another small annoyance for us NP people trying to do more than one or two of these cars!  ;-)

Chris Frissell
Polson, MT.

Charlie Vlk

Sorry if I missed the reply to Bob’s queston…the Plug Door in the fully open position would interfere with the normal inboard mounting location of the grab irons…so they overlap the ends to clear.

Charlie Vlk

There must be a good reason for this...so what is the reason?

Dennis Storzek

Several comments make it sound like this was an NP only phenomena.  Actually, any of the 40' combo door cars that had a six foot main door with eight foot auxiliary doors had this problem. Soo 48300-48498 (even), built by the Soo in 1959 had the same overhanging grabs, and I believe the GN also had similar cars.

Dennis Storzek

John Monrad

GN combo door XMs had 6 ft plug doors, therefore lacked extended grabs.  However, CB&Q combo door cars in class XM-2 had extended grabs to accomodate 8 ft plug doors.

John Monrad

Tim O'Connor

Soo, definitely. I don't think any GN cars had this feature.

Tim O'

On 2/29/2020 9:24 PM, Dennis Storzek wrote:
Several comments make it sound like this was an NP only phenomena.  Actually, any of the 40' combo door cars that had a six foot main door with eight foot auxiliary doors had this problem. Soo 48300-48498 (even), built by the Soo in 1959 had the same overhanging grabs, and I believe the GN also had similar cars.

Dennis Storzek
--
*Tim O'Connor*
*Sterling, Massachusetts*

Tim O'Connor

CB&Q 41891 attached

On 2/29/2020 10:55 PM, John Monrad wrote:
GN combo door XMs had 6 ft plug doors, therefore lacked extended grabs.  However, CB&Q combo door cars in class XM-2 had extended grabs to accomodate 8 ft plug doors.

John Monrad
--
*Tim O'Connor*
*Sterling, Massachusetts*

Dennis Storzek

On Sun, Mar 1, 2020 at 07:18 AM, Tim O'Connor wrote:
CB&Q 41891 attached
Well, they were red. I knew they were red. :-)

Dennis

spsalso

GN had at least one boxcar with "grab iron extensions":

GN 29001    40',  20' opening

Also having grab iron extensions were:

SAL 20200-20209    40',  20' opening

And now for something a little different:

MILW 16800    50',  30' opening
Not only were the grabs mounted on extensions, but so were the side ladders.

(all dimensions approximate)

Ed

Edward Sutorik

Tim O'Connor

It's a stretch to call MILW 16800 a box car :-)

It looks like 16800 was a box car BODY dropped onto a 53 foot flat car.

Pretty much the weirdest rebuild I've seen.

====================================

On 3/2/2020 11:57 AM, spsalso via Groups.Io wrote:
GN had at least one boxcar with "grab iron extensions":

GN 29001    40',  20' opening

Also having grab iron extensions were:

SAL 20200-20209    40',  20' opening

And now for something a little different:

MILW 16800    50',  30' opening
Not only were the grabs mounted on extensions, but so were the side ladders.

(all dimensions approximate)

Ed
--
*Tim O'Connor*
*Sterling, Massachusetts*

Jon Miller

On 3/2/2020 9:58 AM, Tim O'Connor wrote:
It's a stretch to call MILW 16800 a box car :-)
It looks like 16800 was a box car BODY dropped onto a 53 foot flat car.
Pretty much the weirdest rebuild I've seen.

    I'm curious what all the doors do.  I can't figure out how the extra ones make the opening wider?

--
Jon Miller
For me time stopped in 1941

Tim O'Connor

I think they overlap each other when opened.

On the Seaboard car, you could move one or both doors out of the way, because when
closed they were offset all the way to one end.

On 3/2/2020 1:01 PM, Jon Miller wrote:
On 3/2/2020 9:58 AM, Tim O'Connor wrote:
It's a stretch to call MILW 16800 a box car :-)
It looks like 16800 was a box car BODY dropped onto a 53 foot flat car.
Pretty much the weirdest rebuild I've seen.

    I'm curious what all the doors do.  I can't figure out how the extra ones make the opening wider?

--
Jon Miller
For me time stopped in 1941
SPROG User