GRANDT LINE OIL DISTRIBUTOR

WILLIAM PARDIE

It ha been on acknowledged that the tanks in the Grandt line oil distributor kit were superior to other offerings.  They had long been 9ff the market.  A few years ago Grandt Line had a table at an O Scale convention.  I was told that the molds for the tanks had been broken and would not be replaced.

Subsequently I obtained a kit on E Bay.  I wanted some additional tanks so I continued to monitor the site.  A week ago I scored another kit.  When it came in I was surprised to find the instructions were labeled SAN JUAN DETAILS (FORMALLY GRANDT LINE.  This may mean that the kit is back on the market if anyone is interested.

Bill Pardie

Scott H. Haycock

Look at Midwest Oil Dist. on this page:

Is this it?

Scott Haycock
ent

On 04/01/2021 8:42 PM WILLIAM PARDIE <pardiew001@...> wrote:

It ha been on acknowledged that the tanks in the Grandt line oil distributor kit were superior to other offerings.  They had long been 9ff the market.  A few years ago Grandt Line had a table at an O Scale convention.  I was told that the molds for the tanks had been broken and would not be replaced.

Subsequently I obtained a kit on E Bay.  I wanted some additional tanks so I continued to monitor the site.  A week ago I scored another kit.  When it came in I was surprised to find the instructions were labeled SAN JUAN DETAILS (FORMALLY GRANDT LINE.  This may mean that the kit is back on the market if anyone is interested.

Bill Pardie

Douglas Harding

That is the kit. The photo looks like the same photo Grandt Line used. When I spoke with the San Juan people at the Narrow Gauge Convention in Sacramento, their intention was to return the kit to production. Lets hope this is true.

Doug Harding

www.iowacentralrr.org

Modeling Tarheel country in the Land of Enchantment

On 04/01/2021 8:42 PM WILLIAM PARDIE <pardiew001@...> wrote:

It ha been on acknowledged that the tanks in the Grandt line oil distributor kit were superior to other offerings.  They had long been 9ff the market.  A few years ago Grandt Line had a table at an O Scale convention.  I was told that the molds for the tanks had been broken and would not be replaced.

Subsequently I obtained a kit on E Bay.  I wanted some additional tanks so I continued to monitor the site.  A week ago I scored another kit.  When it came in I was surprised to find the instructions were labeled SAN JUAN DETAILS (FORMALLY GRANDT LINE.  This may mean that the kit is back on the market if anyone is interested.

Bill Pardie

Tony Thompson

Scott Haycock wrote:

Look at Midwest Oil Dist. on this page:

Is this it?

Absolutely that is it. Good find, Scott. I wouldn't have said that the tanks were better, particularly, but that all the components are so nicely done. Just needs a warehouse building and you're done. Wish this had come back when I still needed an oil dealer. . .

Tony Thompson

Tony Thompson

I wrote:

Absolutely that is it. Good find, Scott. I wouldn't have said that the tanks were better, particularly, but that all the components are so nicely done. Just needs a warehouse building and you're done. Wish this had come back when I still needed an oil dealer. . .

Should have added that Grandt made a very nice warehouse, though a separate kit, and I think was INTENDED to go with the "oil dealer" kit. I see that same warehouse listed on the San Juan page. Great stuff.

Tony Thompson

Charlie Duckworth

Bill
thanks for the information on this; I’d been searching Ebay for a couple years trying to score the kit.  Just ordered one.
--
Charlie Duckworth
Omaha, Ne.

Fantastic. I spoke to them at Springfield last year and they said they had no firm plans to reintroduce the kit. It wasn't something they were sure they would bring back, or something along those lines. I am really excited to see it back on their page, as I have been scooping them up on eBay over the last few years whenever they are listed for reasonable prices. This is great news.
--
Ben Sullivan
Brookeville, MD

William Hirt

Wasn't these 2 kits based on the series of articles that Rail Model Journal published circa 1997 about oil distributors? I remember some of the articles had scale plans of oil distributor warehouses. There was also one article where the owners of the oil jobbers talked about the rail traffic into their business.

Bill Hirt

On 4/1/2021 11:49 PM, Tony Thompson wrote:
I wrote:

Absolutely that is it. Good find, Scott. I wouldn't have said that the tanks were better, particularly, but that all the components are so nicely done. Just needs a warehouse building and you're done. Wish this had come back when I still needed an oil dealer. . .

Should have added that Grandt made a very nice warehouse, though a separate kit, and I think was INTENDED to go with the "oil dealer" kit. I see that same warehouse listed on the San Juan page. Great stuff.

Tony Thompson
_,_._,_

Tony Thompson

Bill Hirt wrote:

Wasn't these 2 kits based on the series of articles that Rail Model Journal published circa 1997 about oil distributors? I remember some of the articles had scale plans of oil distributor warehouses. There was also one article where the owners of the oil jobbers talked about the rail traffic into their business.

No, that's a quite different dealer. IIRC the Grandt Lines kit was already available well before that RMJ article. I also have a faint recollection that Grandt did several structures based on prototypes in Quincy, California, including this dealer. Can anyone confirm that?

Tony Thompson

John King

I think it was Campbell Scale Models that did the series of buildings based on Quincy, California.  They produced both vertical and horizontal oil tanks.

John King

Wasn't these 2 kits based on the series of articles that Rail Model Journal published circa 1997 about oil distributors? I remember some of the articles had scale plans of oil distributor warehouses. There was also one article where the owners of the oil jobbers talked about the rail traffic into their business.

No, that's a quite different dealer. IIRC the Grandt Lines kit was already available well before that RMJ article. I also have a faint recollection that Grandt did several structures based on prototypes in Quincy, California, including this dealer. Can anyone confirm that?

Tony Thompson

Andy Carlson

And that fuel terminal survives to at least 2 years ago when I visited the town. Tracks have been gone for quite a while, not going beyond the Sierra Pacific lumber mill which still feeds lumber by rail to the UP in the Feather River Canyon at Quincy Jct..
-Andy Carlson
Ojai CA

On Friday, April 2, 2021, 11:30:01 AM PDT, John King via groups.io <dstower1949@...> wrote:

I think it was Campbell Scale Models that did the series of buildings based on Quincy, California.  They produced both vertical and horizontal oil tanks.

John King

Gary Ray

Are these the tanks that were the Grant Line previously discussed?

Midwest Petroleum Distributors (sanjuandetails.com)

Gary Ray

Magalia, CA (soon to be Weatherford, TX)

It ha been on acknowledged that the tanks in the Grandt line oil distributor kit were superior to other offerings.  They had long been 9ff the market.  A few years ago Grandt Line had a table at an O Scale convention.  I was told that the molds for the tanks had been broken and would not be replaced.

Subsequently I obtained a kit on E Bay.  I wanted some additional tanks so I continued to monitor the site.  A week ago I scored another kit.  When it came in I was surprised to find the instructions were labeled SAN JUAN DETAILS (FORMALLY GRANDT LINE.  This may mean that the kit is back on the market if anyone is interested.

Bill Pardie

mike turner

Together, the two kits, Midwest Petroleum Distributors and the Raised Platform Warehouse, capture about 85% of a Texaco distributor in my home town.

--
Mike Turner
MP-Z35

Gary Ray

Here are a couple of pictures of my Shell Oil distributor in Red Bluff, CA,
using 1 1/4" OD PVC pipe. Rivets are from MircoMark. Decals printed on my
ALPS. Tanks based on picture I had from Black Butte area but I can't seem
to find it in my files right now. Busy packing to move to Weatherford, TX.

Gary Ray
Magalia, CA

WILLIAM PARDIE

Very nice job Gary.  If anyone is interested Gerald Glow ismiking up Flying A decals for the tank ends for me.  He would probably like to sell more.

Bill Pardie

Here are a couple of pictures of my Shell Oil distributor in Red Bluff, CA,
using 1 1/4" OD PVC pipe.  Rivets are from MircoMark.  Decals printed on my
ALPS.  Tanks based on picture I had from Black Butte area but I can't seem
to find it in my files right now.  Busy packing to move to Weatherford, TX.

Gary Ray
Magalia, CA

Douglas Harding

In a conversation with Dave Grandt, when I was writing a review of the kit for RMC (Jan 2002), he told me the two kits were based on oil jobbers he saw and photographed in Colorado, New Mexico and Texas. There was not a specific prototype, but rather a compilation of a number of oil jobbers. Conoco was a major company in that area as well as Texaco. The warehouse with its corrugated roof and siding, along with the open porch platform certainly looks like it is from that region of the country. The kit with the tanks and truck filling stand can be used almost anywhere.

The Quincy CA kits were done by Campbell.

Doug Harding

www.iowacentralrr.org

Wasn't these 2 kits based on the series of articles that Rail Model Journal published circa 1997 about oil distributors? I remember some of the articles had scale plans of oil distributor warehouses. There was also one article where the owners of the oil jobbers talked about the rail traffic into their business.

No, that's a quite different dealer. IIRC the Grandt Lines kit was already available well before that RMJ article. I also have a faint recollection that Grandt did several structures based on prototypes in Quincy, California, including this dealer. Can anyone confirm that?

Tony Thompson

Charlie Duckworth

I ordered the oil distributor from San Juan back on April 3rd and after two weeks of it not showing shipped I called they.  They told me one of the molds were out being repaired and check back in two weeks.  I emailed them for an update and no response. I finally asked for a refund - still no response or refund after several days.  I finally opened up a complaint through PayPal and San Juan issued a refund June 15.  So not such a great experience with San Juan.
--
Charlie Duckworth
Omaha, Ne.

gary laakso

Same treatment here, Charlie and their reviewer software traced me 3X to see if the model had been delivered. I will give them another week to respond.

Gary Laakso

Northwest of the missing Mike Brock