Gray Monon boxcars

kevinhlafferty

Does anyone have any information on the Monon 40’ gray w/red lettering boxcars? Champ did a set of decals (HB-23) for these cars. The painting instructions with the Champ set specify that the hardware on these cars was painted black. I have not been able to turn up a photo of one of these cars and was hoping someone on the list would have more definitive info on these cars. Thanks in advance.

Kevin L.

George Courtney

My memory isn't reliable, but it tells me RMC once had an article suggesting these cars were assigned to the GE Appliance Part Service in Louisville, Ky.  Enough so, the car on my layout is in appliance service.  I post this in case someone knowing more will comment. I have no access to old RMC's.

George Courtney

George Courtney

My mistake, I should have typed "GE Appliance Park" not GE Appliance Part.

George Courtney

Kevin,

These were a small series numbered 1201-1225 pulled from the 1941-2 built 9000-9449 series 10'-0" IH '37 AAR boxcars.  They were originally boxcar red, but painted gray with the lettering you mention and had DF loaders installed in June 1948.  The attached photo is the only photo I have seen of this series.  Des Plaines Hobbies did an HO series of these cars using a Red Caboose model in the 90s.

Regards,

Mike Aufderheide

kevinhlafferty

Mike,

That’s very helpful, thank you! Funny that you should mention the Des Plaines Hobbies RC kit as that is what led to this whole line of questioning. I started searching for info on these cars and came across the Champ decal set which states that the hardware is black on these cars. Clearly in the photo the ladders are the same color as the body of the car but the bracket grabs appear to be much darker. I’m not sure what to make of that; highly unlikely that only those parts would have gotten that dirty. I’m almost led to believe that the grabs were black but I don’t recall seeing any other cars ever painted in this manner (only grabs in a different color). I was able to find the heritage of these cars through the extremely helpful list (table of as-built 1937 AAR Box Car Prototypes) compiled by Ed Hawkins and posted on the Steam Era Freight Cars site. Additionally, these cars still show in the 1/53 ORER which makes them viable for my modeling timeframe. Pictures of these cars, at least on line, are nonexistent. Thanks much for the help.

Kevin L.

These were a small series numbered 1201-1225 pulled from the 1941-2 built 9000-9449 series 10'-0" IH '37 AAR boxcars.  They were originally boxcar red, but painted gray with the lettering you mention and had DF loaders installed in June 1948.  The attached photo is the only photo I have seen of this series.  Des Plaines Hobbies did an HO series of these cars using a Red Caboose model in the 90s.

Regards,

Mike Aufderheide

kevinhlafferty

George,

I’d say your memory is doing okay. I dove into the archives (always a daunting task) and found the exact article you were referencing. Not surprisingly it was authored by Mont Switzer in the 3/94 issue of RMC and it describes how he modeled one of the gray Monon cars using the Champ decal set. He mentions in the article that for at least a portion of their lives they were indeed assigned to GE appliance service out of the Louisville plant. The cars were built by Pullman and delivered 10/41. DF loaders were added in 6/48 and at least some (all?) of the cars were then repainted gray with red lettering ala the Champ decals and Des Plaines Hobbies kit (or Micro-Trains or Lionel or…). Thanks for your help!

Kevin L.