Topics

Group of automobile boxcars May 31, 1949

Charlie Duckworth

While I was sorting photos for the reweigh project I can across this small shot (2 3/4” by 4 1/2”) Art Johnson taken at Pensacola, Florida.  Behind the Frisco VO-660 is from left to right a PRR, ATSF, Soo Line, T&NO, MP and CoG 50 boxcars.  Anyone know of the industry in the background and why the wide assortment of road names?

Charlie Duckworth 

--
Charlie Duckworth 
Omaha, Ne.

Lee Singletary

Charlie,
Being a Pensacola native, I believe that is the old Newport Industries plant. They made some type of products using tree stumps. They were adjacent to the Frisco yard and actually had an 0-4-0 fireless made by Heisler for interplant switching.

Lee 

-----Original Message-----
To: main@realstmfc.groups.io <main@RealSTMFC.groups.io>
Sent: Sun, Nov 15, 2020 1:46 pm
Subject: [RealSTMFC] Group of automobile boxcars May 31, 1949

While I was sorting photos for the reweigh project I can across this small shot (2 3/4” by 4 1/2”) Art Johnson taken at Pensacola, Florida.  Behind the Frisco VO-660 is from left to right a PRR, ATSF, Soo Line, T&NO, MP and CoG 50 boxcars.  Anyone know of the industry in the background and why the wide assortment of road names?

Charlie Duckworth 

--
Charlie Duckworth 
Omaha, Ne.

Lee Singletary

Also be aware that in Pensacola that Frisco interchanged cars with the L&N for the Port of Pensacola.  Could be cars headed for the docks.

Lee

To: main@RealSTMFC.groups.io <main@RealSTMFC.groups.io>
Sent: Sun, Nov 15, 2020 1:57 pm
Subject: Re: [RealSTMFC] Group of automobile boxcars May 31, 1949

Charlie,
Being a Pensacola native, I believe that is the old Newport Industries plant. They made some type of products using tree stumps. They were adjacent to the Frisco yard and actually had an 0-4-0 fireless made by Heisler for interplant switching.

Lee 

Charlie Duckworth 

--
Charlie Duckworth 
Omaha, Ne.

Charlie Duckworth

Lee
Thanks for all the input. 

Charlie 

On Nov 15, 2020, at 2:01 PM, Lee Singletary via groups.io <LEKASING@...> wrote:

Also be aware that in Pensacola that Frisco interchanged cars with the L&N for the Port of Pensacola.  Could be cars headed for the docks.

Lee

To: main@RealSTMFC.groups.io <main@RealSTMFC.groups.io>
Sent: Sun, Nov 15, 2020 1:57 pm
Subject: Re: [RealSTMFC] Group of automobile boxcars May 31, 1949

Charlie,

Lee 

Charlie Duckworth 

<AutocarsFlorida002.jpg>

--
Charlie Duckworth 
Omaha, Ne.
<AutocarsFlorida002.jpg>

--
Charlie Duckworth 
Omaha, Ne.

Tim O'Connor

as for the assortment of road names, MP SP CG were all in nearby states not far from home. the double doors
could be useful for stick lumber, plywood, or furniture - but not 'automobile' cars at this late date

On 11/15/2020 2:46 PM, Charlie Duckworth wrote:

Charlie Duckworth 

--
Charlie Duckworth 
Omaha, Ne.

Attachments:

--
Tim O'Connor
Sterling, Massachusetts

steve_wintner

That looks like one of the Soos centered door boxcars - which I thought were used almost entirely for loading huge rolls of paper. ( The doors weren't offset to the left like most double door cars. )

Steve

Garth Groff and Sally Sanford

Tim,

Then does that mean that the Western Pacific really didn't order 100 PS-1 double-door boxcars with Evans Auto Loaders in 1955, their 19301-19400? Or again in 1955, another 150 numbered 19401-19450? And yet another 100 in 1957 numbered 19601-19700 (with roller bearings, though hidden behind flip-up journal box covers)?

Or am I misunderstanding your intent in " . . . double doors could be useful for stick lumber, plywood, or furniture - but not 'automobile' cars at this late date [1949]."?

Yours Aye,

Garth Groff  🦆

On Mon, Nov 16, 2020 at 5:25 PM Tim O'Connor <timboconnor@...> wrote:

as for the assortment of road names, MP SP CG were all in nearby states not far from home. the double doors
could be useful for stick lumber, plywood, or furniture - but not 'automobile' cars at this late date

While I was sorting photos for the reweigh project I can across this small shot (2 3/4” by 4 1/2”) Art Johnson taken at Pensacola, Florida.  Behind the Frisco VO-660 is from left to right a PRR, ATSF, Soo Line, T&NO, MP and CoG 50 boxcars.  Anyone know of the industry in the background and why the wide assortment of road names?

Charlie Duckworth 

--
Charlie Duckworth 
Omaha, Ne.

Attachments:

--
Tim O'Connor
Sterling, Massachusetts

Tim O'Connor

NO GARTH IT DOES NOT. I was commenting on a specific photograph of specific cars in a specific place.
I doubt very much that those single sheathed cars, or the CG door-and-a-half car, were involved in automobile
movements in 1949. The MP all steel car, perhaps, but since it's with the other cars, I suspect it's not being used to
transport autos either. Without exact car numbers and a 1949 ORER I can not be certain.

On 11/16/2020 6:32 PM, Garth Groff and Sally Sanford wrote:
Tim,

Then does that mean that the Western Pacific really didn't order 100 PS-1 double-door boxcars with Evans Auto Loaders in 1955, their 19301-19400? Or again in 1955, another 150 numbered 19401-19450? And yet another 100 in 1957 numbered 19601-19700 (with roller bearings, though hidden behind flip-up journal box covers)?

Or am I misunderstanding your intent in " . . . double doors could be useful for stick lumber, plywood, or furniture - but not 'automobile' cars at this late date [1949]."?

Yours Aye,

Garth Groff  🦆

On Mon, Nov 16, 2020 at 5:25 PM Tim O'Connor <timboconnor@...> wrote:

While I was sorting photos for the reweigh project I can across this small shot (2 3/4” by 4 1/2”) Art Johnson taken at Pensacola, Florida.  Behind the Frisco VO-660 is from left to right a PRR, ATSF, Soo Line, T&NO, MP and CoG 50 boxcars.  Anyone know of the industry in the background and why the wide assortment of road names?

Charlie Duckworth 

--
Charlie Duckworth 
Omaha, Ne.

Attachments:

--
Tim O'Connor
Sterling, Massachusetts

--
Tim O'Connor
Sterling, Massachusetts