Gulf Mobile & Ohio RR Boxcar #9047, a 50ft auto box, dated 1950

Claus Schlund \(HGM\)

Hi List Members,

Some might enjoy this view of Gulf Mobile & Ohio RR Boxcar #9047, a 50ft auto box, dated 1950

Enjoy!

Claus Schlund

Tim O'Connor

Those GM&O cars had "combination" roofs - The 2nd & 3rd panels from each end (not counting the blank panels
at the extreme ends) were rectangular panels, while the other panels were all diagonal panels. This was found on a
number of such cars for railroads in order to accomodate the interior stowable auto racks. The utility of this was very
short lived as autorack flat cars rapidly took over the business.

I've attached a photo from the future that shows this.

Tim O'Connor

On 4/15/2021 6:51 PM, Claus Schlund wrote:
Hi List Members,

Some might enjoy this view of Gulf Mobile & Ohio RR Boxcar #9047, a 50ft auto box, dated 1950

Enjoy!

Claus Schlund

Sterling, Massachusetts

Walter

I recognize this being take in Burlington, Iowa.

Walter Ohrnell

Vera Mills

Hello Bob,
Thank you for posting the photograph of the GM&O 50' DD box car.
I have a number of freight cars waiting to be finished as I do not have a suitable photograph to enable completion.  I model 1950 and all the photographs I have, until now, show lowered placard boards so this one helps.  However I still need a photograph of the end which is not as big a worry as the lack of side one was.
Regards,
Glen Mills

Rich C

Tim, That "combo" roof is available from Speedwitch

Rich Christie

Rich C

Glen, They had 1/3/4 Dartnaught Ends

Rich Christie

Claus Schlund \(HGM\)

Hi Glen,

It was me, not Bob, that posted the link.

Wishing you the best of luck on completion of your steam era freight car!

Claus Schlund

Thank you for posting the photograph of the GM&O 50' DD box car.
I have a number of freight cars waiting to be finished as I do not have a suitable photograph to enable completion.  I model 1950 and all the photographs I have, until now, show lowered placard boards so this one helps.  However I still need a photograph of the end which is not as big a worry as the lack of side one was.
Regards,
Glen Mills

Vera Mills

Hello Claus,
My apology, I must have been on auto pilot due to Bob's many postings of photographs.
Thanks for your best wishes.  It seems that the kit is a can of worms with a lot of work required with roof, ends and doors to correct it.
Regards,
Glen