Topics

heavy duty trucks on B&LE hoppers

Bud Rindfleisch

Hello,
    Am looking for info and/or drawings for these outside brake hanger trucks as used on the B&LE hoppers. Any help is appreciated.Want to get them 3D printed.
      Bud Rindfleisch

Allan Smith

They look very muck like the trucks under the Helium Tank Cars. Just Google Helium Tank Cars and search Tony Thompsons articles and the articles under Amarillo Rail Museum. These trucks are under the MDC Heavy Duty Ore Cars, but with roller bearings.

Al Smith
Sonora CA

On Thursday, February 18, 2021, 12:10:53 PM PST, Bud Rindfleisch <blackdiamondrr@...> wrote:

Hello,
    Am looking for info and/or drawings for these outside brake hanger trucks as used on the B&LE hoppers. Any help is appreciated.Want to get them 3D printed.
      Bud Rindfleisch

Tim O'Connor

If you have any success making the trucks or having trucks cast in resin (e.g. F&C) please let us know. :-)

I believe D&RGW also used trucks of this type on their 70 ton GS gondolas, for which there is a 3D kit.

I think Carbon County was another US Steel road.

On 2/18/2021 3:10 PM, Bud Rindfleisch wrote:
Hello,
    Am looking for info and/or drawings for these outside brake hanger trucks as used on the B&LE hoppers. Any help is appreciated.Want to get them 3D printed.
      Bud Rindfleisch

Attachments:

Sterling, Massachusetts

Corey Bonsall

Hi Bud,

I haven't been able to find drawings of those specific trucks, but like Tim mentioned, they were also used on the Carbon County Railway 3 bay hoppers here in Utah.  I had found some drawings of the Vulcan 70 ton outside clasp trucks to use on my Rio Grande projects, and taking those with some photos, managed to draft up and print some HO scale outside clasps that I think do justice to the CBC / B&LE trucks.

I haven't had any listed on Ebay for a while, as they didn't seem to be moving very well, but I have recently done a printing campaign of them again, and am working to get them clipped out and boxed up.  Sized to use Exactrail or Intermountain wheelsets (axle length of 1.004"-ish)    $5 / pair of truckframes + shipping; I think my email should show up on this reply, if interested.

Corey Bonsall

Todd Sullivan

You might want to check Corey Bonsall's products on eBay.  He sells the D&RGW/UCR heavy duty gondola trucks which appear pretty similar.

Todd Sullivan

Kenneth Montero

Roundhouse (Model Die Casting) made such a truck (outside brake hanger) as a part for a kit of B&LE hoppers. The trucks were part no. 2919, "Roller Bearing (heavy duty)". Source: Walthers 1984 HO scale catalog, page 144. I don't know if the roller bearing feature can be cut off and a solid bearing feature can be added.

Ken Montero

On 02/18/2021 5:30 PM Allan Smith <smithal9@...> wrote:

They look very muck like the trucks under the Helium Tank Cars. Just Google Helium Tank Cars and search Tony Thompsons articles and the articles under Amarillo Rail Museum. These trucks are under the MDC Heavy Duty Ore Cars, but with roller bearings.

Al Smith
Sonora CA
On Thursday, February 18, 2021, 12:10:53 PM PST, Bud Rindfleisch <blackdiamondrr@...> wrote:

Hello,
    Am looking for info and/or drawings for these outside brake hanger trucks as used on the B&LE hoppers. Any help is appreciated.Want to get them 3D printed.
      Bud Rindfleisch

Tony Thompson

Ken Montero wrote:

Roundhouse (Model Die Casting) made such a truck (outside brake hanger) as a part for a kit of B&LE hoppers. The trucks were part no. 2919, "Roller Bearing (heavy duty)". Source: Walthers 1984 HO scale catalog, page 144. I don't know if the roller bearing feature can be cut off and a solid bearing feature can be added.

   Yes, I did that and it was pretty easy.

Tony Thompson

Bud Rindfleisch

Corey,
    Yes, those look to be the same 70 ton truck the B&LE used on the three bay "ore" hoppers. While at some point in time the outside brakes were removed just leaving the extended side frames as is. We might have talked before a few months back as I asked if you could upsize the artwork to print these in S scale. I am doing some B&LE hoppers sorely needing these trucks to make them look right. You would need the axle length I'm thinking? While my calipers are not reading properly I'll ask in my S list if anyone can tell the axle length of say the Northwest Shortline code 110 wheelsets.
     Thanks for chiming in on this!
      Bud Rindfleisch

Bob Chaparro

RE: Helium Car Trucks -

This is Jay Miller's helium car clinic handout:

http://www.atsfrr.org/Reviews/HO/Freight/Helium/HeliumHandout.pdf

Photos of the trucks appear about two-thirds of the way down the article.

Bob Chaparro

Hemet, CA

Bruce Smith

For those (like myself) who are picky about such things, the side frames on the Helium car trucks are definitely different from those on the CC/B&LE hoppers, but the hopper trucks are the best thing we’ve got right now.

Regards,
Bruce Smith
Auburn, AL

On Feb 19, 2021, at 9:29 AM, Bob Chaparro via groups.io <chiefbobbb@...> wrote:

[...]

Eric Hansmann

Were those trucks also equipped with the larger 36-inch diameter wheels?

Eric Hansmann

Murfreesboro, TN

For those (like myself) who are picky about such things, the side frames on the Helium car trucks are definitely different from those on the CC/BLE hoppers, but the hopper trucks are the best thing we’ve got right now.

Regards,

Bruce Smith

Auburn, AL

On Feb 19, 2021, at 9:29 AM, Bob Chaparro via groups.io <chiefbobbb@...> wrote:

RE: Helium Car Trucks -

This is Jay Miller's helium car clinic handout:

Photos of the trucks appear about two-thirds of the way down the article.

Bob Chaparro

Hemet, CA

Keith Retterer

Here is the builder's photo of the B&LE hopper with those massive trucks.  Also a close-up of the truck.
Keith.

spsalso

I got it into my head the the B&LE car was the prototype for the Ulrich triple.  Comparing photos, I see that it is not.

Does anyone happen to know what the prototype was for this model?

Ed

Edward Sutorik

Benjamin Hom

Ed Sutorik wrote:
"I got it into my head the the B&LE car was the prototype for the Ulrich triple.  Comparing photos, I see that it is not.
Does anyone happen to know what the prototype was for this model?"

Look again - B&LE had more than one type of triple hopper.

See also Richard Hendrickson's article in the March 1984 issue of Prototype Modeler.

Ben Hom

spsalso

Thank you, Ben.

One of my favorite models from the olden days.

Ed

Edward Sutorik

gary laakso

This was the type of truck used by the DRGW on some gondolas that W&R imported in brass.

Gary Laakso

Northwest of Mike Brock

Richard Townsend

I understand there were some offset side two bay B&LE hoppers that had these trucks, too. At least there was an article, I think in MRG, that showed how to model such.

Dave Nelson

In one of Kip Harrington’s stories he wrote of ancient east coast HM hoppers being sold “out west” where they showed up hauling coal over Soldier Summit.  These were B&LE cars built before WWI.  They had clasp brakes on them.

That suggests clasp brakes were a standard feture on B&LE hoppers, at least in the first half of the 20th century.

Dave Nelson

Tim O'Connor

70 ton loads of coal or limestone on 4 percent grades. Yeah, the Rio Grande thought they
might need some extra braking power! :-P

Remember back in those days box cars rarely weighed more than 50 tons loaded (grain
and lumber being the major exceptions). Hoppers and gondolas could weigh twice as much
when loaded.