Help ID on SP DD 50' single sheathed boxcar

Robert kirkham

I am hoping those of you who know the Souther Pacific auto-boxcar fleet can help with some information on the 50’ car shown under the underpass in this photo (October 1945).  Would like to know some information to assist in building a model - for starters, likely number series so I can look it up in the ORER, etc.  If there is an outline drawing with basic dimensions available for the car shown in this photo, would appreciate that too! A larger image can be had at: 433e1ede-68cf-43ef-9b9c-0eca526d6c01-CVA586-5634.jpg
Thanks in advance for any assistance,

Rob

Tim O'Connor

Neat picture. SP A-50-10 or A-50-11 all steel single sheathed automobile box cars built in 1930.

Oriental imported a brass model of the A-50-10 (with end doors).

Tim O'Connor

On 1/23/2022 3:10 PM, Robert kirkham wrote:
I am hoping those of you who know the Souther Pacific auto-boxcar fleet can help with some information on the 50’ car shown under the underpass in this photo (October 1945).  Would like to know some information to assist in building a model - for starters, likely number series so I can look it up in the ORER, etc.  If there is an outline drawing with basic dimensions available for the car shown in this photo, would appreciate that too! A larger image can be had at: 433e1ede-68cf-43ef-9b9c-0eca526d6c01-CVA586-5634.jpg
Thanks in advance for any assistance,

Rob

Attachments:

Sterling, Massachusetts

Robert kirkham

Thanks Tim - I didn’t pick up on the steel sides.  Makes it an even more do-able model.

The photo is of a series on the archives site showing the carrier in port at the end of the war.  (The other photos omit the SP car). Not certain what HMS Implacable's purpose was (Vancouver not really a naval port), although I do understand carriers were among the ships used to bring home POWs and other personnel.

Rob

On Jan 23, 2022, at 12:53 PM, Tim O'Connor <timboconnor@...> wrote:

[...]

Sterling, Massachusetts <Oriental SP A-50-10.jpg>

WILLIAM PARDIE

_._,_._,_

Good eye Tim:

Here is one more.

Bill Pardie

Tony Thompson

Tim O'Connor wrote:

Oriental imported a brass model of the A-50-10 (with end doors).

But with the wrong end.

Tony Thompson

Doug Rhodes

The ship in the photo is indeed HMS Implacable. After putting her planes and aircrew ashore in Australia, she transported troops for repatriation, many of them formerly held in Japanese POW camps. She arrived in Vancouver  October 11, 1945 with about 2100 repats on board. A great crowd came down to the wharves to greet the ship and seek any available info about their loved ones. Local media reported the crowd numbered 50,000 of whom about 400 were injured in the crush. The repats embarked on CPR and CNR trains for travel from Vancouver to Nova Scotia, where they boarded troop ships for the return to Britain.

HMS Implacable, though of very recent construction and very state of the art for its day, met an early end. Britain’s troubles, financial and other, saw it withdrawn from active service by the early 1950s and scrapped by 1955.

Rob is correct that Vancouver is not a naval base or port, though it does see naval ships from time to time. The visit of HMS Implacable was a very big deal and received wide media coverage at the time.

Doug Rhodes

[...]

Tony

yes, sadly. we could REALLY use a resin kit for these !! Pierre are you listening?

On 1/23/2022 5:33 PM, Tony Thompson wrote:
Tim O'Connor wrote:

Oriental imported a brass model of the A-50-10 (with end doors).

But with the wrong end.

Tony Thompson

Sterling, Massachusetts

vapeurchapelon

Hello,

sad to read this. I, too have one of these since this is the only 50' "outside-braced" box car made in brass. I already did some upgrades and want to replace the end ladders as these are only poorly looking "ladder strips", but now I am very interested which of the car ends is wrong and to what degree. Tony, Tim - do you can help, please?

Lots of thanks and greetings

Johannes

Gesendet: Montag, 24. Januar 2022 um 13:02 Uhr
Von: "Tim O'Connor" <timboconnor@...>
An: main@RealSTMFC.groups.io

Johannes wrote:

sad to read this. I, too have one of these since this is the only 50' "outside-braced" box car made in brass. I already did some upgrades and want to replace the end ladders as these are only poorly looking "ladder strips", but now I am very interested which of the car ends is wrong and to what degree. Tony, Tim - do you can help, please?

The B end is modeled as a corrugated end, should be Dreadnaught. I think maybe the builder was misled by the Cyc drawing, which just shows the end ribs in profile like corrugated ones.

Below is a builder photo of a B end — actually an A-50-11 but differing only at the other end, the A end, where end doors were located (on -10) or not located (on -11).

Tony Thompson

Robert kirkham

Nice photo!

I noticed there is an 3/4 image of 69459 that includes the b end, found on p.73 of Focus on Freight Cars vol 1, single sheathed box and automobile cars, by Richard Hendrickson.

Rob

On Jan 24, 2022, at 12:25 PM, Tony Thompson <tony@...> wrote:

Johannes wrote:

sad to read this. I, too have one of these since this is the only 50' "outside-braced" box car made in brass. I already did some upgrades and want to replace the end ladders as these are only poorly looking "ladder strips", but now I am very interested which of the car ends is wrong and to what degree. Tony, Tim - do you can help, please?

The B end is modeled as a corrugated end, should be Dreadnaught. I think maybe the builder was misled by the Cyc drawing, which just shows the end ribs in profile like corrugated ones.

Below is a builder photo of a B end — actually an A-50-11 but differing only at the other end, the A end, where end doors were located (on -10) or not located (on -11).

Tony Thompson

<B end.jpg>

Richard Townsend

Chad Boas makes 3-3-3 ends.

Richard Townsend
Lincoln City, OR

Tim O'Connor

Another shot of the end. The Walthers 50 foot single sheathed box car kit came
with this 3-3-3 end - and it's a separate part! (That is if you're brave enough to replace
the end on a brass model with a plastic part.)

Tim O'Connor

On 1/24/2022 3:25 PM, Tony Thompson wrote:
Johannes wrote:
sad to read this. I, too have one of these since this is the only 50' "outside-braced" box car made in brass. I already did some upgrades and want to replace the end ladders as these are only poorly looking "ladder strips", but now I am very interested which of the car ends is wrong and to what degree. Tony, Tim - do you can help, please?

The B end is modeled as a corrugated end, should be Dreadnaught. I think maybe the builder was misled by the Cyc drawing, which just shows the end ribs in profile like corrugated ones.

Below is a builder photo of a B end — actually an A-50-11 but differing only at the other end, the A end, where end doors were located (on -10) or not located (on -11).

Tony Thompson

Attachments:

Sterling, Massachusetts

vapeurchapelon

Tim and other replyers,

lots of thanks! This of course helps a lot.

Tim O'Connor wrote:
That is if you're brave enough to replace
the end on a brass model with a plastic part.

If I would go that road I would make a CAD-File of the Walthers end and let it cast in brass. ;-)

Best Regards

Johannes