Topics

Help Identifying Steam Era Boxcar

Bruce Griffin

Friends,

I hope you will endulge me and help me identify what type of boxcar this was originally.  It looks like a steam era car that survived into the 70s. While I model the B&O in 1950, this was a car my dad taught on in the 70s, so I would like to gather some info for an eventual model.  I am not very good at identifying steam era boxcars, especially when modified and repainted. My guess is it was C&O or Western Maryland.  Any insights appreciated.  Thank you.

Bruce D. Griffin
Ashland, MD
https://bomodeling.com/blog/

Jim Gates

C&O 19000-19499 ACF lot 4740A built 4-57 had 4-3R ends and 9 foot doors. So they would be a good guess. There were some Western Maryland cars with 8 foot doors but they had welded 12 panel sides.

Jim Gates

On Saturday, December 5, 2020, 10:34:18 PM CST, Bruce Griffin <bdg1210@...> wrote:

Friends,

I hope you will endulge me and help me identify what type of boxcar this was originally.  It looks like a steam era car that survived into the 70s. While I model the B&O in 1950, this was a car my dad taught on in the 70s, so I would like to gather some info for an eventual model.  I am not very good at identifying steam era boxcars, especially when modified and repainted. My guess is it was C&O or Western Maryland.  Any insights appreciated.  Thank you.

Bruce D. Griffin
Ashland, MD
https://bomodeling.com/blog/

Tim O'Connor

On 12/6/2020 12:17 AM, Jim Gates via groups.io wrote:

C&O 19000-19499 ACF lot 4740A built 4-57 had 4-3R ends and 9 foot doors. So they would be a good guess. There were some Western Maryland cars with 8 foot doors but they had welded 12 panel sides.

Jim Gates
On Saturday, December 5, 2020, 10:34:18 PM CST, Bruce Griffin <bdg1210@...> wrote:

Friends,

I hope you will endulge me and help me identify what type of boxcar this was originally.  It looks like a steam era car that survived into the 70s. While I model the B&O in 1950, this was a car my dad taught on in the 70s, so I would like to gather some info for an eventual model.  I am not very good at identifying steam era boxcars, especially when modified and repainted. My guess is it was C&O or Western Maryland.  Any insights appreciated.  Thank you.

Bruce D. Griffin

Sterling, Massachusetts

Garth Groff and Sally Sanford

Bruce,

That car and its apparent 9' doors has a WM flavor to it, and it seems to me to have an 8' 6" IH like 1932 ARA boxcars. All the photos I could find of similar WM cars have narrower doors.

I did find a photo of a similar B&O safety car on the Fallen Flags web pages. It shows a bit more of one end.

Yours Aye,

Garth Groff  🦆

On Sat, Dec 5, 2020 at 11:34 PM Bruce Griffin <bdg1210@...> wrote:
Friends,

I hope you will endulge me and help me identify what type of boxcar this was originally.  It looks like a steam era car that survived into the 70s. While I model the B&O in 1950, this was a car my dad taught on in the 70s, so I would like to gather some info for an eventual model.  I am not very good at identifying steam era boxcars, especially when modified and repainted. My guess is it was C&O or Western Maryland.  Any insights appreciated.  Thank you.

Bruce D. Griffin
Ashland, MD
https://bomodeling.com/blog/

Attachments:

D. Scott Chatfield

My guess is it's one of the B&O's late 10'0" IH boxcars, built in the late '50s if memory serves.

I've modeled one of the C&O 19000-series cars and the proportions don't match.

Scott Chatfield

Garth Groff and Sally Sanford

Scott,

The C&O cars were a full 10' 6" IH and IIRC had 8' doors.

Yours Aye,

Garth Groff  🦆