Topics

help locating online sratchbuilding supplies

Ray Hutchison

This has been hit or miss on ebay, and difficult to get things from local hobby shop.  I am looking for a good source for both wood and styrene car roofs, sides, ends, and bottom frames.  Suggestions much appreciated!

Ray Hutchison, Green Bay WI

Rob & Bev Manley

Ray,
have you tried Des Plaines Hobbies? He has almost everything. I think he still has the Viking Roof casting for IM Boxcars.

Rob Manley
"Better modeling through personal embarrassment"

On Monday, May 25, 2020, 02:18:14 PM CDT, Ray Hutchison <rayhutchison2@...> wrote:

This has been hit or miss on ebay, and difficult to get things from local hobby shop.  I am looking for a good source for both wood and styrene car roofs, sides, ends, and bottom frames.  Suggestions much appreciated!

Benjamin Hom

Ray Hutchison asked:
"This has been hit or miss on ebay, and difficult to get things from local hobby shop.  I am looking for a good source for both wood and styrene car roofs, sides, ends, and bottom frames.  Suggestions much appreciated!"

This is casting an extremely wide net.  Are you looking for anything specific?

Ben Hom

Richard Townsend

Two suggestions:

1. For plastic parts, try to find Branchline undecorated freight car kits. They're loaded with parts. You can buy parts directly from various manufacturers such as Athearn, Atlas, Tangent, etc. Look at their websites.

2. For wood parts, try Northeastern at https://northeasternscalelumber.com/shop/railroad-car-parts.html

Richard Townsend
Lincoln City, OR

-----Original Message-----
To: main@RealSTMFC.groups.io
Sent: Thu, May 28, 2020 11:19 am
Subject: Re: [RealSTMFC] help locating online sratchbuilding supplies

Ray Hutchison asked:
"This has been hit or miss on ebay, and difficult to get things from local hobby shop.  I am looking for a good source for both wood and styrene car roofs, sides, ends, and bottom frames.  Suggestions much appreciated!"

This is casting an extremely wide net.  Are you looking for anything specific?

Ben Hom

Donald B. Valentine

The "he" at Des Plaines Hobbies was Ron Sebastian whom we tragically lost late last summer.
Is his widow, Susan,, running the store now?  Don't know but she has always been as pleasant
to work with as Ron always was.

Don Valentine

Schuyler Larrabee

I ordered from them recently, great service and pleasant guy on the phone.

Schuyler

From: main@RealSTMFC.groups.io <main@RealSTMFC.groups.io> On Behalf Of Donald B. Valentine via groups.io
Sent: Thursday, May 28, 2020 10:12 PM
To: main@realstmfc.groups.io

The "he" at Des Plaines Hobbies was Ron Sebastian whom we tragically lost late last summer.

Is his widow, Susan,, running the store now?  Don't know but she has always been as pleasant

Don Valentine

Tom Makofski

Ray, you do know you have Engine House Service located in Green Bay.  They should be able to order you anything they don't have in stock.

On Mon, May 25, 2020 at 2:18 PM Ray Hutchison <rayhutchison2@...> wrote:
This has been hit or miss on ebay, and difficult to get things from local hobby shop.  I am looking for a good source for both wood and styrene car roofs, sides, ends, and bottom frames.  Suggestions much appreciated!

Larry Wolohon

P & D hobbies in Fraser, Mi. has all sorts of scrathbuilding supplies. Pat Musci, the owner knows what he has & is helpful. I was there yesterday to get some items. P & D has a website,

Larry Wolohon 

On May 29, 2020 at 11:32 AM "Schuyler Larrabee via groups.io" <schuyler.larrabee@...> wrote:

I ordered from them recently, great service and pleasant guy on the phone.

Schuyler

From: main@RealSTMFC.groups.io <main@RealSTMFC.groups.io> On Behalf Of Donald B. Valentine via groups.io
Sent: Thursday, May 28, 2020 10:12 PM
To: main@realstmfc.groups.io

Don Valentine

Ray Hutchison

Hello Tom,  Yes, thank you.  I have picked up three orders from Paul since we start homestay, and this is my preferred place to get things (even if I have to pay a little more, which usually is *not* the case!  Problem I have had is that the website order doesn't get to some of the things that I am looking for (dimensional HO scale lumber for cars, for example).  Was wondering the other day if Titletown will happen nest year or not?  Ray Hutchison

On Wed, Jun 3, 2020 at 12:38 PM Tom Makofski <tmak400@...> wrote:
Ray, you do know you have Engine House Service located in Green Bay.  They should be able to order you anything they don't have in stock.

On Mon, May 25, 2020 at 2:18 PM Ray Hutchison <rayhutchison2@...> wrote:
This has been hit or miss on ebay, and difficult to get things from local hobby shop.  I am looking for a good source for both wood and styrene car roofs, sides, ends, and bottom frames.  Suggestions much appreciated!