Topics

Help Needed for MoPac Box Car Model

golden1014

Hi Gents,

I am rebuilding the Roundhouse/MDC/Athearn 50-foot, single-sheathed auto car to model a MoPac prototype.

The major features of the model are single-sheathed sides, 3-3-3 inverse dreadnaught ends, fishbelly centersill underframe, steel doors, radial roof.  No end door (key point).

I have the Speedwitch decal set for the model.  The Speedwitch decal instructions indicate the first 50 cars in the series 89000-89049 had inverse dreadnaught ends, no end doors.  However, photos show cars in the 89000-89049 series with end doors.  A photo of 89169, the last car, also shows end doors.  Therefore the decal set is incorrect for use for my model, since the model does not have end doors.

I don't know if Roundhouse/MDC/Athearn made a similar model with an end door.  I could be wrong but I don't think they did.  They certainly made a similar car with end doors, but I don't think they offered this body style, which is almost perfect for MoPac, with end doors.

Here's the question: Is there a prototype for the model referenced, without an end door?  According to Focus on Freight Cars #1, MP had 1,000 of such cars, most without end doors.  Does anyone have a photo from the other series without an end door?

Attached are a few photos.  Note the model has no end door, but the proto-photo does.

Thanks in advance for your help!

John Golden
Ramstein-Miesenbach, Germany

RPM Blog: https://railroadprototypemodeler.wordpress.com/

Allan Smith

Mainline Modeler January 1996 has just the article you are looking for. If you will contact me off list I will send you a copy.

Al Smith
Sonora CA Smithal9@...

On Tuesday, June 23, 2020, 03:16:46 PM PDT, golden1014 via groups.io <golden1014@...> wrote:

[...]

O Fenton Wells

John, I'm a member of "End Doors for Veterans"  If you need one I will mail it to you.  I've got one of those to do as well.  Keep posting photos please
Fenton Wells

--
Fenton Wells
250 Frye Rd

Garth Groff and Sally Sanford

John,

Yes, MDC did do cars without end doors. I'm not sure all the various configurations came both ways. Certainly the WP cars with the herald plate on the door came both ways, as I have one of each.

Do you have Richard Hendrickson's RMJ articles on these cars? In July 1995 he presented "50-Foot Single-Sheathed MDC Box Car Kits, Dealing with Molded-on Ladders and Grabirons"; this was about re-detailing chiefly for T&P and WP. This was followed in the same issue by "The 50-Foot Box Car . . . From MDC, Walthers or Westerfield Kits in HO Scale and Cameron Scale Model Kits in O Scale", which was more about possible prototypes (includes a roster). There is a photo here of MP 85281 showing its non-door A end. In the July 1996 RMJ he wrote "Adding Grabiorns & Ladders Without New Decals: Detailing MDC HO Scale 50-Foot Single-Sheathed Box Car Kits". This article specifically shows photos of one of his end-door MP models.

Also of possible interest was Ted Culotta's article in the April 2008 RMC, "50-foot Single-sheathed boxcars" from his Essential Freight Cars series.

Yours Aye,

Garth Groff  🦆

[...]

Attachments:

James SANDIFER

More Photos. 89164 and 89017 had end doors.

J. Stephen Sandifer

[...]

hubert mask

Nice photos!

Hubert Mask  Mask Island Decals Inc.

On Jun 23, 2020, at 9:57 PM, James SANDIFER <steve.sandifer@...> wrote:

[...]

<MP 89048 SS 50'.png>
<MP 85281 50' single sheathed auto box car 5x8 builder's photo, AC&F photo.JPG>
<MP-89164-50-single-sheathed-auto-box-car.jpg>
<MP-43003-single-sheathed-auto-box-car.jpg>
<MP _8917 Fifty-Foot SS DD _B_ end.jpg>
<MP _8917 Fifty-Foot SS DD _A_ end.jpg>

Ted Culotta

Hi John-

Sorry! I really stepped in it with this one. 85450-85949, built by ACF in 1927, did not have end doors. They did have Dreadnaught ends and Camel doors. I will have to go back and update the set. I'll send you an updated set.

My apologies.

Cheers,
Ted

golden1014

Hi Garth, Fenton and Steve,

Thanks for the help and photos.  Your info helped me out a lot.

My message didn't show up on the list for about five days, so thinking it was lost I went to Ed Hawkins.  Ed and I talked it over and determined that MP 86000-86149, 150 cars built MVC, 10’-2” IH, 12’-0" door openings, Youngstown doors, Ajax power hand brakes (no end doors!) matches the model perfectly.  Ed was able to provide a photo.  I'll have to change the trucks and retainer pipe but I can do those things without much trouble.  Unfortunately the photo can't be released, but I'm sure we'll be able to dig up a few more views elsewhere.

I'm a fan of single-sheathed box cars and having a big, 50-foot car for the layout scratches that itch.

John Golden
Ramstein-Miesenbach, Germany

golden1014

Hi Ted,

No Sir, no apologies necessary.  Ed and I talked it over and the model perfectly represents MP 85450-85949 (as you mentioned), 500 cars, built ca. 6-27, ACF lot 399, 10’-0” IH, 11’ door openings, wood doors, no end doors.

The prototype I'm modeling is actually the third series, which was the only series delivered with Youngstown doors and no end doors.  That's MP 86000-86149, 150 cars built MVC (job no. unknown), 10’-2” IH, 12’-0" door openings, Youngstown doors, Ajax power hand brakes, and of course no end doors.

The decal set is fab and I appreciate the consideration of adding two different size medallions.  Just a little cut and paste is all that's needed.

Thanks again for offering all that great stuff for us.

John Golden
Germany