Topics

Help with freight car list

Gatwood, Elden J SAD

Folks;

Without my ORERs, I am lost. Could anyone identify any of the cars listed in this accident report?

I noted that this train was tank car heavy, and that an unusual number of cars were destroyed.

I am unfamiliar with some of the trains of the P&WV, and this is sure one of those. A very interesting group of cars!

Any help is greatly appreciated!

Elden Gatwood

Bruce Smith

Elden,

What a great set of documents!  I see that Hershey’s (HERX) lost 5 reefers in this wreck!

Regards

Bruce

Bruce F. Smith

Auburn, AL

On Feb 19, 2020, at 6:34 AM, Gatwood, Elden J SAD <elden.j.gatwood@...> wrote:

Folks;

Without my ORERs, I am lost.  Could anyone identify any of the cars listed in this accident report?

I noted that this train was tank car heavy, and that an unusual number of cars were destroyed.

I am unfamiliar with some of the trains of the P&WV, and this is sure one of those.   A very interesting group of cars!

Any help is greatly appreciated!

Elden Gatwood

<PWV Sudan_Derailment_10_5_63.pdf>

Gatwood, Elden J SAD

Bruce;

I was under the impression those HERX cars were Hercules tank cars, no? I need to get my eyes checked....

Yes, fabulous what some of these wreck reports tell us about what was in a consist!

Elden Gatwood

On Feb 19, 2020, at 6:34 AM, Gatwood, Elden J SAD <elden.j.gatwood@... <mailto:elden.j.gatwood@...> > wrote:

Folks;

Without my ORERs, I am lost. Could anyone identify any of the cars listed in this accident report?

I noted that this train was tank car heavy, and that an unusual number of cars were destroyed.

I am unfamiliar with some of the trains of the P&WV, and this is sure one of those. A very interesting group of cars!

Any help is greatly appreciated!

Elden Gatwood

<PWV Sudan_Derailment_10_5_63.pdf>

Bruce Smith

Elden,

The docs you supplied said that they were “R” and “E” so that would mean empty reefers. The P&W web page on AAR Marks (https://www.pwrr.org/rrm/rrmh.html) says:
*(NATX) GENERAL ELECTRIC RAILCAR SERVICES CORP.
  (HERSHEY FOOD PROD.- LESSEE) {NORTH AMERICAN CAR CO.]

Regards

Bruce

Bruce F. Smith

Auburn, AL

On Feb 19, 2020, at 7:41 AM, Gatwood, Elden J SAD <elden.j.gatwood@...> wrote:

Bruce;

I was under the impression those HERX cars were Hercules tank cars, no?  I need to get my eyes checked....

Yes, fabulous what some of these wreck reports tell us about what was in a consist!

Elden Gatwood

What a great set of documents!  I see that Hershey’s (HERX) lost 5 reefers in this wreck!

Regards

Bruce

Bruce F. Smith

Auburn, AL

Gatwood, Elden J SAD

Bruce;

Well, well! I do need to get my eyes checked!

I wonder what the story was on those cars....

This is a tremendously interesting train.

Elden Gatwood

What a great set of documents! I see that Hershey’s (HERX) lost 5 reefers in this wreck!

Regards

Bruce

Bruce F. Smith

Auburn, AL

FIVE Hershey's chocolate box cars, wow!

On 2/19/2020 7:34 AM, Gatwood, Elden J SAD wrote:
Folks;

Without my ORERs, I am lost.  Could anyone identify any of the cars listed in this accident report?

I noted that this train was tank car heavy, and that an unusual number of cars were destroyed.

I am unfamiliar with some of the trains of the P&WV, and this is sure one of those.   A very interesting group of cars!

Any help is greatly appreciated!

Elden Gatwood

Attachments:
PWV Sudan_Derailment_10_5_63.pdf: https://RealSTMFC.groups.io/g/main/attachment/170027/0

Sterling, Massachusetts

Rich Gibson

Actually, there is a contradiction between the two lists in the report. The first list shows HERX 10916. The second list shows HCRX 10916. All the other HERX cars are numbered in the 2000’s. HCRX would be Houston Creosote Co.

Rich Gibson
Golden,CO

Doug Chapman

Elden,

NYC 43267 was a 50 ton, 40' box car, built by Despatch Shop in 1956, NYC Lot 858B. It was one of 1390 cars numbered 42000-43389. The drawing below comes from Terry Link's Canada Southern website.

Doug Chapman
Montclair, VA

Tim O'Connor

The 858-B's were popular photo subjects - I have at least 14 images on my hard drive,
from NYC to PC era.

On 2/20/2020 9:33 PM, Doug Chapman via Groups.Io wrote:
Elden,

NYC 43267 was a 50 ton, 40' box car, built by Despatch Shop in 1956, NYC Lot 858B. It was one of 1390 cars numbered 42000-43389. The drawing below comes from Terry Link's Canada Southern website.

Doug Chapman
Montclair, VA
_._,_._,_

Sterling, Massachusetts