Topics

Help with Manufacturer?

Chuck Cover

Group,

I purchased several of these beautifully built reefer cars many years ago at a train show back east.  I was hoping that someone could identify the manufacturer of these cars.  Thanks

Chuck Cover
Santa Fe, NM
Santa Fe, NM

Roger Huber

Chuck,

Look like Accurail cars to me. Very nice.

Roger Huber
Deer Creek Locomotive Works

On Sunday, October 27, 2019, 11:51:27 AM CDT, Chuck Cover <chuck.cover@...> wrote:

Group,

I purchased several of these beautifully built reefer cars many years ago at a train show back east.  I was hoping that someone could identify the manufacturer of these cars.  Thanks

Chuck Cover
Santa Fe, NM
Santa Fe, NM

Drew M.

Mainline Models?

Drew M. in Philly

Modeling the pre-Depression years.

Sent from TypeApp

On Oct 27, 2019, at 12:53, "Roger Huber via Groups.Io" <yahoo.com@groups.io target=_blank>trainpainter=yahoo.com@groups.io> wrote:
Chuck,

Look like Accurail cars to me. Very nice.

Roger Huber
Deer Creek Locomotive Works

On Sunday, October 27, 2019, 11:51:27 AM CDT, Chuck Cover <chuck.cover@...> wrote:

Group,

I purchased several of these beautifully built reefer cars many years ago at a train show back east.  I was hoping that someone could identify the manufacturer of these cars.  Thanks

Chuck Cover
Santa Fe, NM
Santa Fe, NM

Ralph W. Brown

Hi Chuck,

Nice finds.  Are they wood, resin or plastic?

Ralph Brown
Portland, Maine
PRRT&HS No. 3966
NMRA No. L2532

rbrown51[at]maine[dot]rr[dot]com

I purchased several of these beautifully built reefer cars many years ago at a train show back east.  I was hoping that someone could identify the manufacturer of these cars.  Thanks

Chuck Cover
Santa Fe, NM
Santa Fe, NM

ed_mines

silver streak?

O Fenton Wells

Chuck I'd bet Mainline Models or Tru Scale-Silver Streak
Just guessing
Fenton

--
Fenton Wells
250 Frye Rd

Chuck Cover

RE:  .  Are they wood, resin or plastic?

Hi Ralph,

That is one of my problems, I cannot tell whether the model is wood or not.  The entire model is very smooth which makes me think that it not a wood base.  The other interesting thing is that most of the Silver Streak models have ladders on the right of each side rather than individual grabs.

Thanks to everyone for their input.

Chuck Cover

Santa Fe, NM

_._,_._,_

Ralph W. Brown

Hi Chuck,

Back in ‘68 when I switched from O to HO, I primarily built wood kits of mostly models of wood prototypes.  I typically used sanding sealer and 0000 steel wool, followed by the late, lamented FloQuil paints and Dullcoat or other flat finish, the combination of which produced some very smooth finishes, probably smoother than some factory painted plastic RTR models I’ve seen.  In any event, the the grab iron and the relief on reefer door hinges brought some of those early models to mind, particularly Central Valley, but those kits came with pre-painted sides and ends, the finish wasn’t that smooth.  If it was built from a wood kit Silver Streak and Ulrich might be possibilities too.

Regarding Silver Streak, their Kit No. 1, one of which is sitting on a shelf downstairs, is an ART reefer with pre-painted and decorated sides, and grab irons rather than ladders, but the underbody doesn’t come close to the model you have.  It also lacks cut levers and some of the other nice details on your model.

I suppose you could pull a truck and bore a wee hole in the bottom to see whether it’s plastic resin or wood.  Whatever it is, it’s a good looking car.

Pax,

Ralph Brown
Portland, Maine
PRRT&HS No. 3966
NMRA No. L2532

rbrown51[at]maine[dot]rr[dot]com

RE:  .  Are they wood, resin or plastic?

Hi Ralph,

That is one of my problems, I cannot tell whether the model is wood or not.  The entire model is very smooth which makes me think that it not a wood base.  The other interesting thing is that most of the Silver Streak models have ladders on the right of each side rather than individual grabs.

Thanks to everyone for their input.

Chuck Cover

Santa Fe, NM

rwitt_2000

Based upon the information on the HOseeker site [https://hoseeker.net/otherhotrains3.html] it appears Mainline Models never made a 40-ft reefer lettered for the ART.

I have no good guesses. I would suggest that the model is custom built and decorated with 3rd party decals. That said the basic model could from any number of model manufacturers.

They are nicely assembled and painted.

Bob Witt

Chuck Cover

Thanks to all who have contributed to this inquiry.  The consensus is that it is a Silver Streak model that has been modified.

Chuck Cover

Santa Fe, NM