Help with Northwestern green/yellow reefer


Charlie Duckworth
 

Friend recently gave me two Branchline reefers one for the Northwestern with the gray sides.  The car unfortunately lettering is as built in 1927 and I’m modeling the early 1950’s.  I found an Odd Ball set for the Northwestern green and yellow scheme and have the sides stripped down to the bare plastic.  This reefer is totally out of my expertise and need some SME help.  

the decal sheet has the following car numbers 6201, 6311 and 6700 for NWX. Are these good for the wood reefers?

What’s recommended for the green and yellow colors and finally what color was the roof, ends and underframe?

lots of questions but I couldn’t find anything with a google search or a search on .io. 

thanks. 
--
Charlie Duckworth 
Omaha, Ne.


Charlie Duckworth
 

Here’s the one image I’ve found 
--
Charlie Duckworth 
Omaha, Ne.


Joseph
 

That scheme is circa 1954, iirc
Joe Binish 
South of Mankato on Hwy 60

On Tue, May 31, 2022 at 4:40 PM Charlie Duckworth <omahaduck@...> wrote:
Here’s the one image I’ve found 
--
Charlie Duckworth 
Omaha, Ne.


Todd Sullivan
 

Charlie,

My Jan 1952 ORER has NWX 70000-70650 503 cars, 40-0 over strikers, 4' x6' doors, 1944 cuft, 8000 capy.

No other dimensional data listed, but  that was typical in the Private Car Owners section of the ORER.

Westerfield has a model of this car - see
https://id18538.securedata.net/westerfieldmodels.com/merchantmanager/index.php?cPath=128_418

Todd Sullivan


Todd Sullivan
 

Oops, forgot to add suggestion for the paint colors.  It sure looks, to my eye, that the colors are the same yellow and green as used on CNW's diesels and passenger cars in the 1950s. 

Lloyd Keyser would probably know.

Todd Sullivan


Brian Carlson
 

Remember to upgrade to AB brakes too if doing the green and yellow cars. 

Brian J. Carlson 

On May 31, 2022, at 5:37 PM, Charlie Duckworth <omahaduck@...> wrote:



Friend recently gave me two Branchline reefers one for the Northwestern with the gray sides.  The car unfortunately lettering is as built in 1927 and I’m modeling the early 1950’s.  I found an Odd Ball set for the Northwestern green and yellow scheme and have the sides stripped down to the bare plastic.  This reefer is totally out of my expertise and need some SME help.  

the decal sheet has the following car numbers 6201, 6311 and 6700 for NWX. Are these good for the wood reefers?

What’s recommended for the green and yellow colors and finally what color was the roof, ends and underframe?

lots of questions but I couldn’t find anything with a google search or a search on .io. 

thanks. 
--
Charlie Duckworth 
Omaha, Ne.


--
Brian J. Carlson, P.E.
Cheektowaga NY


Lloyd Keyser
 

The Scale Coat C&NW yellow and Green is a good match or Floquil Yellow and Green. The colors are very close to the color chips though not exact.The car shown has wood ends and ends and roof are BCR.This car was overhauled and repainted at the shops in Baraboo WI. Be sure and convert to an AB brake system. I have six of the Branchline cars. Three in the pre 52 Grey and three in the Yellow and Green.My grey cars were acceptable but my early run Y&G sides were poorly painted and the lettering was very poor. I repainted and applied Westerfield decals for the Y&G cars. Best LK

On Tue, May 31, 2022 at 5:05 PM Brian Carlson via groups.io <prrk41361=yahoo.com@groups.io> wrote:
Remember to upgrade to AB brakes too if doing the green and yellow cars. 

Brian J. Carlson 

On May 31, 2022, at 5:37 PM, Charlie Duckworth <omahaduck@...> wrote:



Friend recently gave me two Branchline reefers one for the Northwestern with the gray sides.  The car unfortunately lettering is as built in 1927 and I’m modeling the early 1950’s.  I found an Odd Ball set for the Northwestern green and yellow scheme and have the sides stripped down to the bare plastic.  This reefer is totally out of my expertise and need some SME help.  

the decal sheet has the following car numbers 6201, 6311 and 6700 for NWX. Are these good for the wood reefers?

What’s recommended for the green and yellow colors and finally what color was the roof, ends and underframe?

lots of questions but I couldn’t find anything with a google search or a search on .io. 

thanks. 
--
Charlie Duckworth 
Omaha, Ne.


--
Brian J. Carlson, P.E.
Cheektowaga NY


Charlie Duckworth
 

Lloyd 
thanks for the clarifications; what color was the ladders and door hardware?  I ‘assume’ green and the underframe? Black?   Also the Odd Ball decal set has numbers in the 6000 range is this accurate for the wood cars?  
--
Charlie Duckworth 
Omaha, Ne.


O Fenton Wells
 

Charlie, one thing I noticed on these cars from looking at photos.  There was no brake step on the B end of the car, at least in the photos I've seen.  I believe the Brake wheel is a bit higher than on those cars that have a brake step so the brakeman can get leverage while turning the wheel.  This is my assumption for what it's worth.
Fenton

On Wed, Jun 1, 2022 at 7:03 AM Charlie Duckworth <omahaduck@...> wrote:
Lloyd 
thanks for the clarifications; what color was the ladders and door hardware?  I ‘assume’ green and the underframe? Black?   Also the Odd Ball decal set has numbers in the 6000 range is this accurate for the wood cars?  
--
Charlie Duckworth 
Omaha, Ne.



--
Fenton Wells
250 Frye Rd
Pinehurst NC 28374
910-420-8106
srrfan1401@...


 

Looking thru my NWX pictures, some DID have brake steps, like this example. All of the cars with steel ends also had them (again, my photos).

 

 

Thanks!
--

Brian Ehni

 

 

From: <main@RealSTMFC.groups.io> on behalf of O Fenton Wells <srrfan1401@...>
Reply-To: <main@RealSTMFC.groups.io>
Date: Wednesday, June 1, 2022 at 6:40 AM
To: <main@realstmfc.groups.io>
Subject: Re: [RealSTMFC] Help with Northwestern green/yellow reefer

 

Charlie, one thing I noticed on these cars from looking at photos.  There was no brake step on the B end of the car, at least in the photos I've seen.  I believe the Brake wheel is a bit higher than on those cars that have a brake step so the brakeman can get leverage while turning the wheel.  This is my assumption for what it's worth.

Fenton

 

On Wed, Jun 1, 2022 at 7:03 AM Charlie Duckworth <omahaduck@...> wrote:

Lloyd 
thanks for the clarifications; what color was the ladders and door hardware?  I ‘assume’ green and the underframe? Black?   Also the Odd Ball decal set has numbers in the 6000 range is this accurate for the wood cars?  
--
Charlie Duckworth 
Omaha, Ne.


 

--

Fenton Wells
250 Frye Rd

Pinehurst NC 28374
910-420-8106
srrfan1401@...


O Fenton Wells
 

Thanks Brian, appreciate that.
Fenton

On Wed, Jun 1, 2022 at 8:32 AM BRIAN PAUL EHNI <bpehni@...> wrote:

Looking thru my NWX pictures, some DID have brake steps, like this example. All of the cars with steel ends also had them (again, my photos).

 

 

Thanks!
--

Brian Ehni

 

 

From: <main@RealSTMFC.groups.io> on behalf of O Fenton Wells <srrfan1401@...>
Reply-To: <main@RealSTMFC.groups.io>
Date: Wednesday, June 1, 2022 at 6:40 AM
To: <main@realstmfc.groups.io>
Subject: Re: [RealSTMFC] Help with Northwestern green/yellow reefer

 

Charlie, one thing I noticed on these cars from looking at photos.  There was no brake step on the B end of the car, at least in the photos I've seen.  I believe the Brake wheel is a bit higher than on those cars that have a brake step so the brakeman can get leverage while turning the wheel.  This is my assumption for what it's worth.

Fenton

 

On Wed, Jun 1, 2022 at 7:03 AM Charlie Duckworth <omahaduck@...> wrote:

Lloyd 
thanks for the clarifications; what color was the ladders and door hardware?  I ‘assume’ green and the underframe? Black?   Also the Odd Ball decal set has numbers in the 6000 range is this accurate for the wood cars?  
--
Charlie Duckworth 
Omaha, Ne.


 

--

Fenton Wells
250 Frye Rd

Pinehurst NC 28374
910-420-8106
srrfan1401@...



--
Fenton Wells
250 Frye Rd
Pinehurst NC 28374
910-420-8106
srrfan1401@...


 

Charlie, the photos I have of NWX 6000 series are both in gray.

 

The color photos I have appear to show green hardware (hinges, ladders, etc., including underframe) as in this photo. Yes, wrong number series, but this is one of the clearest photos I have to show what was painted which color.

 

 

Thanks!
--

Brian Ehni

On Wed, Jun 1, 2022 at 7:03 AM Charlie Duckworth <omahaduck@...> wrote:

Lloyd 
thanks for the clarifications; what color was the ladders and door hardware?  I ‘assume’ green and the underframe? Black?   Also the Odd Ball decal set has numbers in the 6000 range is this accurate for the wood cars?  
--
Charlie Duckworth 
Omaha, Ne.

 


Charlie Duckworth
 

Thanks for everyone’s input I just need to make a run up to House of Trains and buy some paint.  I probably won’t get to this project for a few weeks I’ve got to finish the X23 (working on the underframe today) and the three RI stock cars need to have their underframes finished. 
--
Charlie Duckworth 
Omaha, Ne.


ottokroutil
 

This is such a cool paint scheme, but probably too new for my '51 cutoff date. I do have a couple of their reefers in grey. Out of curiosity, when did the Northwestern start using the green and yellow scheme on their reefers and other house cars? 
Advice appreciated.


Charlie Duckworth
 

According to Ted Culotta’s reefer book 1952. 

On Wed, Jun 1, 2022 at 10:20 AM ottokroutil via groups.io <otask=aol.com@groups.io> wrote:
This is such a cool paint scheme, but probably too new for my '51 cutoff date. I do have a couple of their reefers in grey. Out of curiosity, when did the Northwestern start using the green and yellow scheme on their reefers and other house cars? 
Advice appreciated.


--
Charlie Duckworth 
Omaha, Ne.


Tim O'Connor
 


I don't know about those numbers but NWX had many different wood ice reefers while the Branchline
and Westerfield models represent ACF Type 2 and Type 3
reefers built in the 1920's. Of course the
Westerfield instructions are an excellent source for prototype information. :-)

I think there are exact color matches for CNW yellow and green. Call Des Plaines Hobbies because I
know they used to have custom CNW mixes too.

Tim O'Connor


On 5/31/2022 5:37 PM, Charlie Duckworth wrote:

Friend recently gave me two Branchline reefers one for the Northwestern with the gray sides.  The car unfortunately lettering is as built in 1927 and I’m modeling the early 1950’s.  I found an Odd Ball set for the Northwestern green and yellow scheme and have the sides stripped down to the bare plastic.  This reefer is totally out of my expertise and need some SME help.  

the decal sheet has the following car numbers 6201, 6311 and 6700 for NWX. Are these good for the wood reefers?

What’s recommended for the green and yellow colors and finally what color was the roof, ends and underframe?

lots of questions but I couldn’t find anything with a google search or a search on .io. 

thanks. 
--
Charlie Duckworth


--
Tim O'Connor
Sterling, Massachusetts


Tim O'Connor
 


I forgot to add that I like those two photos I sent because they clearly show that running boards
and hatches were painted an oxide red color instead of whatever the color of the roof was. This
was the same color found on the gray cars.

I have 52 images of NWX reefers and not a single overhead shot ! :-D

Also note this photo of a freshly painted GRAY reefer with a shop date of 7-1954. So the two paint
schemes overlapped each other.

Tim O'Connor


On 6/1/2022 7:03 AM, Charlie Duckworth wrote:
Lloyd 
thanks for the clarifications; what color was the ladders and door hardware?  I ‘assume’ green and the underframe? Black?   Also the Odd Ball decal set has numbers in the 6000 range is this accurate for the wood cars?  
--
Charlie Duckworth 
Omaha, Ne.

--
Tim O'Connor
Sterling, Massachusetts


Lloyd Keyser
 

Charlie, the 6000 series of 6000-6700 were  built in 1926. 700 cars were on the roster on 5/31. By 10/42 139 were listed and 7/45 Only 16 listed. These cars were rebuilt over time into other number series. Various rebuildings changed the end color from red to green on the Y&G cars starting in 1952.  The cars rebuilt at PC&F Renton WA,had steel ends and galvanised roofs. Original hardware was black and underframe black. If you can get a hold of one of the C&NW modelers in the area and get a copy of NORTH WESTERN LINES Winter 1987 for a comprehensive article  including many pictures. Best LK 

On Wed, Jun 1, 2022 at 10:20 AM Charlie Duckworth <omahaduck@...> wrote:
Thanks for everyone’s input I just need to make a run up to House of Trains and buy some paint.  I probably won’t get to this project for a few weeks I’ve got to finish the X23 (working on the underframe today) and the three RI stock cars need to have their underframes finished. 
--
Charlie Duckworth 
Omaha, Ne.


Charlie Duckworth
 

Lloyd
Thanks again. 

Charlie 

On Wed, Jun 1, 2022 at 3:10 PM Lloyd Keyser <lloydkeyser@...> wrote:
Charlie, the 6000 series of 6000-6700 were  built in 1926. 700 cars were on the roster on 5/31. By 10/42 139 were listed and 7/45 Only 16 listed. These cars were rebuilt over time into other number series. Various rebuildings changed the end color from red to green on the Y&G cars starting in 1952.  The cars rebuilt at PC&F Renton WA,had steel ends and galvanised roofs. Original hardware was black and underframe black. If you can get a hold of one of the C&NW modelers in the area and get a copy of NORTH WESTERN LINES Winter 1987 for a comprehensive article  including many pictures. Best LK 

On Wed, Jun 1, 2022 at 10:20 AM Charlie Duckworth <omahaduck@...> wrote:
Thanks for everyone’s input I just need to make a run up to House of Trains and buy some paint.  I probably won’t get to this project for a few weeks I’ve got to finish the X23 (working on the underframe today) and the three RI stock cars need to have their underframes finished. 
--
Charlie Duckworth 
Omaha, Ne.


--
Charlie Duckworth 
Omaha, Ne.


Dennis Storzek <dennis@...>
 

On Wed, Jun 1, 2022 at 12:49 PM, Tim O'Connor wrote:
I forgot to add that I like those two photos I sent because they clearly show that running boards
and hatches were painted an oxide red color instead of whatever the color of the roof was. This
was the same color found on the gray cars.
Actually Tim, your shot of NWX 2810 in a previous message is taken from a high enough vantage point that it shows the wood roof sheathing IS painted oxide like the running board and hatches. The brake wheel is also oxide. Anybody have a pic that clearly shows an oxide end on one of these green and yellow cars?

Dennis Storzek