Hide Cars - perhaps not the last wood, however....

np328

       As I continue to scan and recycle old paper, I found this single page item that is attached. Dating to 1950, it covers a goodly amount of the membership I would believe.
To all of you that fill out waybills, may this help. It is a directive effective as stated, to January 1, 1950 and does cover more than hides.
I seem to recall an earlier inquiry a few weeks ago on this topic.
Found in the NP Corporate records at the Minnesota Historical Society, however not just topical to the Northern Pacific, but all US railroads.
I've talked with the MNHS prior and on pages like this, no copyright permissions needed.
                                                                                                            Feel free to copy and save the document.     James Dick   Roseville, MN

Bob Chaparro

Malcolm Laughlin wrote in the Ry-Ops-Industrial SIG group:

“Here's an excerpt from Car Service Rule 18 in a 1959 RER

"(A) Box cars classed as suitable for grain loading or better or refrigerator cars must not be loaded with any of the contaminating commodities listed below.....

1. Animal products:

  (a) Hides, Pelts or Skins,

  (b) Glue Stock

......(c)....(f)....

  (g) Tallow.

2. Copra

3. fish.........

6. Asphalt.......

7. Creosote.....

8. Lamp black, etc.

9. Poisonous.....

In the 50's and 60's, it was normal for all empty box cars needed for loading in the same terminal area to be switched to the cleaning track after being pulled empty from an industry.  Cleaning was a clerks union job and in Account 401 of the operating budget of the terminal superintendent or trainmaster.”

++++

In 1915 Rule 18 was much more general:

“Car Service Rule 18 provides that "Empty cars containing refuse must not be offered in interchange.

If the delivering line fails to remove such refuse, the receiving line may do so at the expense of the delivering line, and in such case must promptly advise the delivering line of its action."

Bob Chaparro

Moderator

Railway Bull Shippers Group

https://groups.io/g/RailwayBullShippersGroup

Charlie Duckworth

I recall when I was working once a boxcar was loaded with hides it was no longer deemed fit for any other service and was the lowest class of cars.
--
Charlie Duckworth
Omaha, Ne.

hubert mask

When walking a interchange inspection I could smell a hide car car links away.  It would certainly wake you up. I do a decal set for the old wood side and steel side rock island car

Hubert

On Jun 30, 2022, at 9:22 AM, Charlie Duckworth via groups.io <Worth51@...> wrote:

I recall when I was working once a boxcar was loaded with hides it was no longer deemed fit for any other service and was the lowest class of cars.
--
Charlie Duckworth
Omaha, Ne.

Tim O'Connor

Hubert

Or perhaps just an assortment of hide loading stencils ?? I'm sure there are many variations ! :-)

Tim

On 6/30/2022 10:27 AM, hubert mask wrote:
When walking a interchange inspection I could smell a hide car car links away.  It would certainly wake you up. I do a decal set for the old wood side and steel side rock island car

Hubert

On Jun 30, 2022, at 9:22 AM, Charlie Duckworth via groups.io <Worth51@...> wrote:

I recall when I was working once a boxcar was loaded with hides it was no longer deemed fit for any other service and was the lowest class of cars.
--
Charlie Duckworth
Omaha, Ne.

Sterling, Massachusetts

G.J. Irwin

What, no mention of "tankage"?  (You don't want to know.)

I did need to look up "copra."  "Copra refers to the dried coconut kernels from which coconut oil is expelled" -- thank you, Wikipedians.

--George Irwin
Rochester, NY

Fritz Milhaupt

I've been trying to find a good photo of a gon load of tankage so I can make an outbound load from a meat packing plant.

My most recent effort involved a block of balsa with a layer of white caulk that was sprinkled with bits of red and brown Fimo then topped with semi-clear caulk. I glued some black pepper on top for flies.

It was entirely based on my best guess, since I haven't found a photo to work from.

- Fritz Milhaupt

Douglas Harding

Best I can offer is this photo of a gon loaded with horse bones.

Doug Harding

https://www.facebook.com/douglas.harding.3156/

I've been trying to find a good photo of a gon load of tankage so I can make an outbound load from a meat packing plant.

My most recent effort involved a block of balsa with a layer of white caulk that was sprinkled with bits of red and brown Fimo then topped with semi-clear caulk. I glued some black pepper on top for flies.

It was entirely based on my best guess, since I haven't found a photo to work from.

- Fritz Milhaupt

Gary Ray

What would be the final destination of tankage?  Pity the poor workers who had to empty the gon.

Gary Ray

Azle, TX

On 6/30/2022 5:57 PM, Douglas Harding wrote:

Best I can offer is this photo of a gon loaded with horse bones.

Doug Harding

https://www.facebook.com/douglas.harding.3156/

I've been trying to find a good photo of a gon load of tankage so I can make an outbound load from a meat packing plant.

My most recent effort involved a block of balsa with a layer of white caulk that was sprinkled with bits of red and brown Fimo then topped with semi-clear caulk. I glued some black pepper on top for flies.

It was entirely based on my best guess, since I haven't found a photo to work from.

- Fritz Milhaupt

Philip Dove

Bones could be made into glue or ground down to bone meal used as fertiliser and in some pet food products.
I, am guessing tankage might have made sausage casings if it included intestines, chemical substances such as gelatin. Human afterbirth is used to make "rejuvenating" skin products perhaps elements of tankage might end up highly processed as an ingredient in something else. On the other hand it could be the yuckiest most useless parts of slaughtering and just going to be burnt or buried. I have seen animal bits put in a manure spreader and put on the land.

I've been trying to find a good photo of a gon load of tankage so I can make an outbound load from a meat packing plant.

My most recent effort involved a block of balsa with a layer of white caulk that was sprinkled with bits of red and brown Fimo then topped with semi-clear caulk. I glued some black pepper on top for flies.

It was entirely based on my best guess, since I haven't found a photo to work from.

- Fritz Milhaupt

Thomas Evans

The dictionary definition of "tankage" says it was used to make fertilizer. - Tom E.

Bob Chaparro

Tankage is a dry product of animal rendering, not the same as offal.
Often shipped in 100 pound sacks.

Bob Chaparro
Hemet, CA

Bob Chaparro

On Fri, Jul 1, 2022 at 06:01 AM, Philip Dove wrote:
I, am guessing tankage might have made sausage casings if it included intestines,
Not at all. It's a dried product.
Bob Chaparro
Hemet, CA