From: main@RealSTMFC.groups.io <main@RealSTMFC.groups.io> on behalf of Daniel A. Mitchell <danmitch@...>
Sent: Saturday, February 8, 2020 2:50 PM
To: main@realstmfc.groups.io <main@RealSTMFC.groups.io>
Subject: Re: [RealSTMFC] D&H Flat

Not now. I have a strange appreciation of heavy duty flat cars and their often interesting loads. I just haven’t gotten around to this one yet, perhaps because I’ve not seen a photo of the prototype and whatever load it might be carrying. One has to be careful mixing such cars into regular train (assuming they’re not a “high and wide”). Too many looks strange. On the other hand I’ve seen photos of whole trains of high and wide oversized loads. Perhaps that’s putting all one’s problems in one place?

Dan Mitchell

BRIAN PAUL EHNI

I once saw a train on the SP Houston-Dallas line that had 6 heavy duty flat cars at the head of the train. They were separated from each other by boxcars, and each had a large electrical transformer. Here’s a shot of one; N&W 70182, plus three together.

Thanks!
--

Brian Ehni

From: <main@RealSTMFC.groups.io> on behalf of Bruce Smith <smithbf@...>
Date: Saturday, February 8, 2020 at 5:09 PM
To: "main@RealSTMFC.groups.io" <main@RealSTMFC.groups.io>
Subject: [RealSTMFC] High and Wide ops was D&H Flat

Dan,

Precisely!  While large loads could be moved in regular freights, "high and wide" loads often required special handling and therefore were often accumulated and moved in a single train. On the stretch of the PRR I model, the Columbia and Port Deposit branch, from Perryville MD, through Columbia PA and on to Enola, this H&W train was typically run on Sunday morning. That makes sense as it was the lightest traffic day of the week, and therefore the low speed and occasional stops to check clearance wouldn't mess up the rest of the railroad. There was also a spot at "Midway siding" where the tracks were set farther apart, to allow H&W trains to pass each other. i plan too accumulate a train of H&W loads and then run it once every 10-14 ops sessions.

Regards,

Bruce

Bruce Smith

Auburn, AL

Not now. I have a strange appreciation of heavy duty flat cars and their often interesting loads. I just haven’t gotten around to this one yet, perhaps because I’ve not seen a photo of the prototype and whatever load it might be carrying. One has to be careful mixing such cars into regular train (assuming they’re not a “high and wide”). Too many looks strange. On the other hand I’ve seen photos of whole trains of high and wide oversized loads. Perhaps that’s putting all one’s problems in one place?

Dan Mitchell

Attachments:

Sterling, Massachusetts

BRIAN PAUL EHNI

Your guess is as good as mine, Tim, But certainly plausible.

Thanks!
--

Brian Ehni