Topics

HO Barber S-4 Swing Hanger Trucks

Jacob Damron

Fellow Modelers:

My name is Jacob Damron and I model the Rock Island and its passenger trains in the early 1960's. One of my next projects to expand my BX fleet is the Sunshine Models RI 20060-20069 10'6" aluminum box car (Jeff has already addressed my RI 20000-20051/20070-20084 research request). This car rode on Barber S-4 Swing Hanger trucks and I'm having a hard time locating such.

Does anyone know if these trucks are/were offered in plastic or brass?

Thanks so much.

Jacob Damron
Ft Worth, TX

Steve and Barb Hile

I recall chasing this issue around many years ago.  The Rock Island diagram sheet refers to them as Barber S-4-L trucks with Timken roller bearings.  I need to find a better picture, but for now, this one will have to do

My conclusion, then was to use Bethlehem (old Cape Line) cast trucks, number 1213

Interestingly, I can’t find a reference to an S-4-L truck in the 1946 CBC, but they do show a very similar looking S-5-L truck, although it includes a plain (solid) bearing instead of a roller bearing.

The accompanying text reads as follows

Hope this helps.  Perhaps someone else can point to more information on theS-4-L truck.

Steve Hile

My name is Jacob Damron and I model the Rock Island and its passenger trains in the early 1960's. One of my next projects to expand my BX fleet is the Sunshine Models RI 20060-20069 10'6" aluminum box car (Jeff has already addressed my RI 20000-20051/20070-20084 research request). This car rode on Barber S-4 Swing Hanger trucks and I'm having a hard time locating such.

Does anyone know if these trucks are/were offered in plastic or brass?

Thanks so much.

Jacob Damron
Ft Worth, TX

Jacob Damron

Steve:

Thank you for the information. I looked over those trucks and agree that they appear to be the best option. I found a seller and ebay and they're headed my way.

For some reason the pictures didn't come through to my email and I can't find your reply on the IO page.

Jacob

BRIAN PAUL EHNI

Perhaps someone on Shapeways can be persuaded. The sideframes would need to be designed for use with nylon bearing inserts to prevent the axle from wallowing out.

Thanks!
--

Brian Ehni

From: <main@RealSTMFC.groups.io> on behalf of Jacob Damron <jacob.damron@...>
Date: Tuesday, September 8, 2020 at 7:47 PM
To: <main@realstmfc.groups.io>
Subject: Re: [RealSTMFC] HO Barber S-4 Swing Hanger Trucks

Steve:

Thank you for the information. I looked over those trucks and agree that they appear to be the best option. I found a seller and ebay and they're headed my way.

For some reason the pictures didn't come through to my email and I can't find your reply on the IO page.

Jacob

mopacfirst

One of the photos I posted on the Rock Island group, the 20041, appears to have this type of truck.  Other cars had a type of roller-bearing 50 ton truck with a flat top to the sideframe, but appears different than this Barber truck.  Others in the series had a Commonwealth BX truck.  I haven't tried to see if these trucks correlated with specific groups of cars.  But when I saw them, they were bumped to general freight service, probably grain and flour mostly.

Ron Merrick

Steve and Barb Hile

The pictures can be seen in the Photos section of the IO site in the Emailed photos file.

Steve Hile