How did axles and wheels ship?

gary laakso

This is an overhead view of the C&O Russell yard and shows a huge stockpile of both axles and wheels.  You can blow the picture up for detail.  Were both usually shipped in gondolas to railroad repair facilities?

https://www.flickr.com/photos/barrigerlibrary/51178358152/in/photostream/

Gary Laakso

Northwest of Mike Brock

I can't speak for other railroads, but the C&O shipped their wheelsets on specially built cars, three of which are visible in this photo. A significant number of the C&O's USRA boxcars were cut down specifically for this use, somewhere around 80 of them, and they were not the only wheel cars in the fleet. These USRA-convert wheel cars could transport 18 sets of wheels and axles.

--
Andrew Cummings
Houston, TX

George Courtney

Loved the photo.  In the far right, almost upper corner are two small cars that are light in color and fairly short, but do not appear to be cabooses to me.  Can anyone identify these two cars?  Just curious.

Thanks,
George Courtney

Benjamin Hom

George Courtney wrote:
"Loved the photo.  In the far right, almost upper corner are two small cars that are light in color and fairly short, but do not appear to be cabooses to me.  Can anyone identify these two cars?  Just curious."

Those are a pair of boxcars.  Note the foreshortening of other cars in the far background, particularly the hoppers on the next few tracks over.

Ben Hom

Tim O'Connor

I think axles and wheels could be purchased separately and a facility like this puts them together
and loads them onto those "wheelset flat cars" seen in the picture for distribution to RIP tracks all
over the system.

On 7/14/2021 5:49 PM, gary laakso wrote:

This is an overhead view of the C&O Russell yard and shows a huge stockpile of both axles and wheels.  You can blow the picture up for detail.  Were both usually shipped in gondolas to railroad repair facilities?

https://www.flickr.com/photos/barrigerlibrary/51178358152/in/photostream/

Gary Laakso

Sterling, Massachusetts

Ray Hutchison

I think we did this 4-5 months ago?  Photographs of wheel factory in Denver, one of several of a company that started in Chicago.  Tichy has very nice model of wheel car (like the one shown in photograph) that comes with 32? anatomically correct wheels/axles (the ends are not pointed)